Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Counting down the greatest coaches in NFL history ....# 1 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: May 25, 2013, 12:21:42 AM

GREATEST COACHES IN NFL HISTORY

ESPN.com: NFL 

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Greg Garber

ESPN.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No. 20.......Tony Dungy

No. 19 -... Mike Shanahan

No. 18 - ...Sid Gillman

No. 17......Marv Levy

No...16.....Hank Stram

No.....15......Bud Grant

No.....14.......Tom Coughlin

No......13..........Jimmy Johnson

No.....12.........John Madden

No....11.........Bill Parcells

No....10........Curly Lambeau

No......9.........Joe Gibbs

No.........8......Tom Landry

No........... 7 ...... Bill Belichick

No. ..........6 ...... Paul Brown

No.............. 5 -....... Chuck Noll

No. ................4 - .......George Halas

No. ....................3 - ......Don Shula

No........................ 2 - .......Bill Walsh

No........................... 1 - .......Vince Lombardi

: June 12, 2013, 01:09:41 AM michael89156

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#1 : May 25, 2013, 07:57:48 AM

If Dungy is on the list, I expect Gruden to be much higher on the list since he basically took over Dungy's team and won a Super Bowl with it when Dungy couldn't win a Super Bowl with that same talent.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 25, 2013, 08:37:52 AM

I could name about 20 off the top of my head that would be more qualified than Dungy or Gruden.

Here's a few: Landry, Halas, Lombardi, Cowher, Johnson, Noll, Walsh, Parcells,  Madden, Flores, Gibbs, Lambeau, L. Saban, Knox, Ewbank, and Reeves.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 25, 2013, 08:44:01 AM

Here's a few more: Allen, Siefert, Vermeil, Gillman, Corryell, Stram, Billick.  Maybe even Holmgren and Reid

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#4 : May 25, 2013, 03:26:56 PM

Agreed Stan. Neither Dungy nor Gruden should sniff the top 20.

In Verner We Trust

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 25, 2013, 10:30:35 PM

I could name about 20 off the top of my head that would be more qualified than Dungy or Gruden.

Here's a few: Landry, Halas, Lombardi, Cowher, Johnson, Noll, Walsh, Parcells,  Madden, Flores, Gibbs, Lambeau, L. Saban, Knox, Ewbank, and Reeves.

Dungy was a helluva coach, maybe even as good as some of those you mentioned. The problem with him though, is longevity.  Most of those guys you mentioned, had pretty long NFL careers.  If Dungy was around longer, or started earlier, I think he would of scored even higher than #20.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 26, 2013, 01:02:58 AM

Dungy was a helluva coach, maybe even as good as some of those you mentioned. The problem with him though, is longevity.  Most of those guys you mentioned, had pretty long NFL careers.  If Dungy was around longer, or started earlier, I think he would of scored even higher than #20.

Agreed..... and i'd venture to guess a lot of those older coaches wouldn't have been as successful in today's era of free agency.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#7 : May 26, 2013, 05:51:57 AM

I'm not sure Dungy would make a top 50 list, top 100 for Gruden. Gruden was better suited to be an OC. IMO, we fired the best HC we had and hired Dungy. Schiano will outshine them all in time (Buccaneer coaches).

ingey1968

Starter

#8 : May 26, 2013, 05:33:17 PM

and you base this off what?

creamsicles

Starter
#9 : May 27, 2013, 05:59:04 AM

dungy had his weaknesses like us all, but he also got the Colts over the top... combine his colts success with the way he turned around the Bucs and I think his resume outshines gruden.  an interesting way to also look at the quality of a coach is his prodige tree... and dungy mentored a lot of head coaches.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 27, 2013, 06:15:38 AM

dungy had his weaknesses like us all, but he also got the Colts over the top... combine his colts success with the way he turned around the Bucs and I think his resume outshines gruden.  an interesting way to also look at the quality of a coach is his prodige tree... and dungy mentored a lot of head coaches.

And Gruden mentored nobody.

Dungy definitely is a great teacher, but I have to believe Walsh or Belichick would have gotten more than one Lombardi out of Peyton Manning. Also, Dungy would have none without Manning.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 27, 2013, 08:37:05 AM

You could say Bill Callahan was a Gruden protege. 

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#12 : May 27, 2013, 10:08:08 AM

You could say Bill Callahan was a Gruden protege.

So true.   I'm interested to see how much higher Gruden is on that list than Callahan.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 27, 2013, 06:39:57 PM

I'm not sure Dungy would make a top 50 list, top 100 for Gruden. Gruden was better suited to be an OC. IMO, we fired the best HC we had and hired Dungy. Schiano will outshine them all in time (Buccaneer coaches).

Sam Wyche the best HC the Bucs ever had?  Maybe I read that wrong.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 27, 2013, 09:43:03 PM

Sam Wyche the best HC the Bucs ever had?  Maybe I read that wrong.

Given the 6 years Dungy got or the 7 years Gruden got, Wyche would have built a consistent winner, if not a league championship. It's just my opinion. Dungy peaked in '99 and got progressively worse his last two years. Gruden got the team over the hump and then became erratic. John McKay isn't worth mentioning in this conversation. I honestly believe Schiano will outshine them all but Wyche was the most capable to this point IMO.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Counting down the greatest coaches in NFL history ....# 1 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools