Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Counting down the greatest coaches in NFL history ....# 1 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#30 : June 08, 2013, 09:56:25 PM

Interesting comments regarding Mr. Wyche. I remember he kinda had mixed results. I was just then working at becoming a Bucs fan, so don't remember what led to his downfall with the Bucs. Please enlighten me; now I am curious!    8)

Wyche had the tough task of holding the franchise together while cities were trying to poach the team for relocation.  When the Glazers bought the team, he was given one year to prove himself.  He never got the team over .500... but he did make significant improvements.  Just not quickly enough.

Hoist the Battleflag

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#31 : June 08, 2013, 10:07:58 PM

No arguement there, AJ; I thought Shula stayed too long in Miami too. But, I don't think that diminishes his accomplishments, or Landry's.
    If Jimmy Johnson had stayed, who knows how well he'd have fared. I thought Parcells should have been higher on that list.

OK; who's left? Obviously Lombardi and Shula, but who's the third one gonna be? Probably Bill Walsh... No George Allen or Chuck Knox, or Sam Wyche, all who I'd rate over Hank Stram...
: June 08, 2013, 10:09:51 PM NotDeadYet

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#32 : June 08, 2013, 10:10:20 PM

No arguement there, AJ; I thought Shula stayed too long in Miami too. But, I don't think that diminishes his accomplishments, or Landry's.
    If Jimmy Johnson had stayed, who knows how well he'd have fared. I thought Parcells should have been higher on that list.

OK; who's left? Obviously Lombardi and Shula, but who's the third one gonna be? Probably Bill Walsh... No George Allen or Chuck Knox, or Sam Wyche, all who I'd rate over Hank Stram...

Papa Bear

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#33 : June 08, 2013, 10:16:58 PM

CJ, seems the Glazers wanted "their guy" to coach, so must've had Dungy in mind when they took over. Not unusual. Interesting Wyche never was an NFL HC again...

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#34 : June 08, 2013, 10:19:12 PM

Papa Bear
   If I'm reading the ESPN site right, Papa Bear was #4....

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#35 : June 09, 2013, 02:16:22 AM

CJ, seems the Glazers wanted "their guy" to coach, so must've had Dungy in mind when they took over. Not unusual. Interesting Wyche never was an NFL HC again...

He went back to coach a high school team for several more years. I would guess he got tired on the "politics" of a NFL head coaching job.  Seemed like a decent guy.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#36 : June 09, 2013, 05:13:16 PM

Yeah, I'd bet it's the politics between Owners/GMs/Players and keeping all the egos "satisfied" that he got tired of. He was very innovative and loved to teach; too many big egos not real receptive to learning wore on him. In high school, he had just as much if not more fun there... JMO... 

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#37 : June 09, 2013, 10:22:31 PM

LOL: <RANT ALERT> Tonight they have Shula as #3. After all the accolades they listed, HOW can they seriously say Shula was only the 3rd best?? If Lombardi hadn't won so many championships, I could almost justify him slipping due to his short tenure as a HC, but Shula had ONE losing season in 33 seasons as a HC, and the ONLY perfect season... OK, so he only won a measly 2 Lombardi's to Walsh's 3, but geeez...  </END RANT>...  8)

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#38 : June 11, 2013, 02:30:30 AM

LOL: <RANT ALERT> Tonight they have Shula as #3. After all the accolades they listed, HOW can they seriously say Shula was only the 3rd best?? If Lombardi hadn't won so many championships, I could almost justify him slipping due to his short tenure as a HC, but Shula had ONE losing season in 33 seasons as a HC, and the ONLY perfect season... OK, so he only won a measly 2 Lombardi's to Walsh's 3, but geeez...  </END RANT>...  8)

Shula did it much longer also.  32 years if my calculations are correct.   Walsh was only HC on the Niners for 9 years.  Although he did hold other positions with the team.

Shula...328-156        .678 winning percentage

Walsh  ..92-59          .609 winning percentage

Maybe they are giving Walsh the nod over Shula based on Super Bowl wins.  Who knows.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Octagenarian

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#39 : June 11, 2013, 05:37:58 AM

Coughlin is too high on that list.   

watson

Hall of Famer
#40 : June 11, 2013, 06:19:28 PM

Only one coach has won 4 Super Bowls........Noll.   Until someone wins 5, hoe can he not be #1?  I never liked the Steelers, but you have give him his dues. 

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#41 : June 11, 2013, 07:42:55 PM

Coughlin is too high on that list.

If you just take into account his Giants tenure, I would agree.  But he was pretty impressive in his stint with the Jags.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#42 : June 11, 2013, 07:53:33 PM

So Lombardi it is? Too bad they missed his 100th birthday by two days for.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#43 : June 11, 2013, 08:11:35 PM

Where was Landry placed?  I would think he should be top  4. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#44 : June 11, 2013, 08:14:49 PM

Where was Landry placed?  I would think he should be top  4.

The knock on him is he stayed way too long.  Those last 3-4 years with the Cowgirls were pretty dismal.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Counting down the greatest coaches in NFL history ....# 1 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools