Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Counting down the greatest coaches in NFL history ....# 1 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#45 : June 11, 2013, 08:19:45 PM

Totally disagree with that.  Should be no lower than 4. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#46 : June 11, 2013, 08:24:07 PM

Thomas Wade "Tom" Landry (September 11, 1924 February 12, 2000) was an American football player and coach. He is ranked as one of the greatest and most innovative coaches in National Football League (NFL) history, creating many new formations and methods. He invented the now popular 43 defense, and the "flex defense" system made famous by the "Doomsday Defense" squads he created during his 29 year tenure with the Dallas Cowboys.

Landry won two Super Bowl titles (VI, XII), 5 NFC titles, 13 Divisional titles, and compiled a 270-178-6 record, the 3rd most wins of all time for an NFL coach. His 20 career playoff victories are the most of any coach in NFL history. He was named the NFL Coach of the Year in 1966 and the NFC Coach of the Year in 1975. His most impressive professional accomplishment is his 20 consecutive winning seasons (19661985), an NFL record that remains unbroken and unchallenged. From 1966 to 1982 Dallas played in 12 NFL or NFC Championship games, a span of 17 years. More impressive is the Cowboys' appearance in 10 NFC Championship games in the 13-year span from 1970 to 1982. Leading the Cowboys to 3 Super Bowl appearances in four years between 1975 and 1978, and five in nine years between 1970 and 1978, and being on television more than any other NFL team is what spawned the title of "America's Team", a title Landry did not appreciate because he felt it would bring on extra motivation from the rest of the league to compete with the Cowboys.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#47 : June 11, 2013, 08:29:57 PM

Totally disagree with that.  Should be no lower than 4.

1986    7-9
1987    7-8
1988    3-13

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#48 : June 11, 2013, 08:32:57 PM

Just 3 years out of 29.  The guy should be number 2 or 3 on the list IMO. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#49 : June 11, 2013, 08:34:36 PM

Just 3 years out of 29.  The guy should be number 2 or 3 on the list IMO.

Great coaches know when its time to go.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
#50 : June 11, 2013, 08:49:10 PM

Does anyone other than myself take into account that many of these old 'greats' didn't have to deal with Free Agency. I mean in today's NFL, Noll wouldn't have been able to keep the Steel Curtain together.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#51 : June 11, 2013, 08:50:23 PM

Trust me, I'm no Cowboy fan.  I hated them in the 70s as a kid and during the Jimmy Johnson era but give the man is due.  Having him at 8 is a joke.  I would have the top 5 as Lombardi, Landry, Shula, Walsh, and Noll.  Belichick would be next. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#52 : June 11, 2013, 09:00:53 PM

Trust me, I'm no Cowboy fan.  I hated them in the 70s as a kid and during the Jimmy Johnson era but give the man is due.  Having him at 8 is a joke.  I would have the top 5 as Lombardi, Landry, Shula, Walsh, and Noll.  Belichick would be next.

Landry overstayed his welcome.  Look at Shula, coached  32 years.

His last season 1995, he went 9-7 and went to the playoffs.  The man knew when to step aside.  Your man Landry went 3-13 before getting the boot. No one had to give Shula the boot, he knew it was time.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#53 : June 11, 2013, 09:23:39 PM

No doubt those last three years tarnished a brilliant coaching career.   I have no problem putting Landry in the top three or four.  Great point about FA though.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#54 : June 11, 2013, 09:33:17 PM

I agree Landry shoulda been higher. Lombardi, Shula s/b 1-2. Walsh Landry 3-4. I also thought Parcells was short-changed.
   <Rant> Cripes, Walsh won 1/3 the regular season games Shula did, yet because he won 1 more Super Bowl, they rate him higher?? </Rant>

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#55 : June 11, 2013, 10:57:36 PM

Only one coach has won 4 Super Bowls........Noll.   Until someone wins 5, hoe can he not be #1?  I never liked the Steelers, but you have give him his dues.

Lombardi's teams won 5 championships.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#56 : June 11, 2013, 11:18:48 PM

Only one coach has won 4 Super Bowls........Noll.   Until someone wins 5, hoe can he not be #1?  I never liked the Steelers, but you have give him his dues.

Noll actually should be ahead of Walsh, but not ahead of Lombardi or Shula... He had more Super Bowl W's AND more regular season W's... I'd give him #3, then Walsh/Landry 4/5...

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#57 : June 12, 2013, 02:10:01 AM

All in all, its a pretty good list.  I would put Shula ahead of Walsh, but both are/were great coaches.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

watson

Hall of Famer
#58 : June 12, 2013, 03:31:13 AM

Based on that criteria, then Paul Brown would need to be ahead of Lombardi.  He won 9 AFL/NFL championships in an 11 year span.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#59 : June 12, 2013, 11:24:07 PM

Yeah why does Lombardi get credit for pre-Super Bowl titles, while Brown's are diminished?

In Verner We Trust
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Counting down the greatest coaches in NFL history ....# 1 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools