Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is the market about to have a monumental crash? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#90 : August 15, 2013, 06:05:06 PM

Yes they did, especially those who depended upon steady payments from 401Ks to live on.  I don't know they were all gloom and doomers - I suspect it is more likely they were retirees. 
: August 15, 2013, 07:19:26 PM dbucfan

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

deadzone

Hall of Famer

#91 : August 16, 2013, 01:00:05 PM

The point of the article was that many of the doom-and-gloomers pulled their money out of the market several years ago and predicted a cataclysmic collapse in the market.  And they lost a great amount of potential earnings by doing so,.

Not me...I jumped into the small cap fund and made 30 grand........now I'm out .......protecting that stash....

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#92 : August 16, 2013, 01:10:24 PM

I think a financial planner would recommend that anyone needing to pull money out of their 401ks in the next 3-5 yrs go to a very conservative investment and not have left it completely in the market.  Not then entire portfolio, just the amount of retirement supplement they were going to need short term.

jbear

Pro Bowler

#93 : August 16, 2013, 01:40:18 PM

Any advisor worth anything is going to have you in a diversified portfolio containing lots of different types of investments.  I don't think there are many advisors who are really doom and gloomers, but bearish probably pushing portfolio's heavier in alterative investments, like reits, annuities, depending on interest rates, some bond funds etc. Anyway, that strategy wouldn't have paid off as well as the market recently unless some of those alternative investments were big winners. 

Anyway, supposing the very worst happened and it was like a mad max movie.  What difference does it really make?  Even I think it would bee deranged to take all your money and put it in gold coins stashed around your house but since gold has historically beaten inflation it wouldn't be an idiot move to have a safe with something like that in it. It's not a bad idea to put some money into guns and ammo as well.  ;) For when morgan comes for your gold to buy food for his starving family.  :-*

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility for us to see a crisis even worse than the banking crisis of 2008 within the next several years.  You'd be able to appreciate this if you realized just how close we were to the banks failing and things being 10x worse.  The problem is that some of us think the massive debt we've taken on and the tactics employed by the Fed may have only pushed an enevitable crisis back a few years.  I mean, if we can't get the debt under control.  I don't think that the idea that it's a concern is really all that out there.  I think if you could corner even a Ben Bernake, he'd admit to concerns.  Why do you think he's been trying to wind down QE?

Runole

Hall of Famer
#94 : September 16, 2013, 02:47:19 PM

Still waiting for that crash. Doesn't Summer end on 21 Sept?

I continue to be amazed at how the market continues defy logic and reasoning. 

Hey Everything is great!   Just keep printing money!  ;)

Runole

Hall of Famer
#95 : September 16, 2013, 02:59:29 PM

Just keep printing money! 

http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/money_12853.htm

So the US is out of DEBT!   EUREKA!   THANK THE LORD!   HAPPY DAYS FOREVER!   WHERE  IS THE PARADE? :D

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#96 : September 18, 2013, 02:29:12 PM

why the jump? earnings must be up?   Oh . .  . . yeah . . . . nevermind .  . . Fed said it would keep pumping

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#97 : October 02, 2013, 11:21:14 PM

Still waiting for OPs prediction - what happened there buddy?

Runole

Hall of Famer
#98 : October 03, 2013, 09:42:06 AM

Still waiting for OPs prediction - what happened there buddy?

It was a question not a prediction..   As long as the US keeps printing money LIFE IS GOOD!   Just wish they would send some my way!   :D  Since you obviously have far better predictive abilities than I do. I certainly never claim to be Miss Cleo when does the S&P hit 2,000.00 ?  Heck it got above 1,725.00 surely we should be there within the next year.  Right?

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#99 : October 03, 2013, 10:42:10 AM

If it wasn't a prediction, why does it have one of those prediction mark thingies at the end, smart guy?

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#100 : October 03, 2013, 11:14:23 AM

but this one may be an absolutely huge correction IMHO

Sounds like a prediction to me

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#101 : October 03, 2013, 11:20:03 AM

Yeah, it may be a prediction. It could be a prediction. It just might possibly be a prediction.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#102 : October 03, 2013, 03:09:44 PM

If it wasn't a prediction, why does it have one of those prediction mark thingies at the end, smart guy?

My original post

[quote author=Runole link=topic=1305720.msg1936046#msg1936046 date=1369615238]
Some have posted a rosy picture of the stock markets meteoric rise to new highs.  S&P is at record levels..  There have been many market analysts that have stated rather openly that it is fools gold and that the treasury is printing 10 billion dollars repeatedly to prop up the market.  Well it seems that several billionaires are starting to bail...

http://www.moneynews.com/MKTNews/billionaires-dump-economist-stock/2012/08/29/id/450265?PROMO_CODE=110D8-1&utm_source=taboola

Seasonally stocks fall between now and August but this one may be an absolutely huge correction IMHO...  stay tuned...

This wasn't a prediction just an observation wondering why many billionaires were pulling money out of the market.  From a historical standpoint usually during the summer and beginning of the Fall markets tend to drop. After that time they begin a slow and steady rise.. That didn't really happen as every dip had unbelievable rallies and new highs.  The fed is printing billions of dollars each week.  Obviously that works?

As to predicting?  I have always maintained "PAST PERFORMANCE IS NOT INDICATIVE OF FUTURE RESULTS"

Let me ask you a question are you making more money today than you ever have in your lifetime?

Like I stated everything is great and the economy has never been better!  That is what the market is currently saying as it recently reached new record highs..  Obviously some are making tons of money.
: October 03, 2013, 03:12:36 PM Runole

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#103 : October 03, 2013, 03:14:19 PM

Um . .

I have always maintained "PAST PERFORMANCE IS NOT INDICATIVE OF FUTURE RESULTS"

Seasonally stocks fall between now and August

just kidding

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#104 : October 03, 2013, 03:23:52 PM

Uh, Runole... there's no such thing as a "prediction mark." Trichinosis is rotting your brain, dude.
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is the market about to have a monumental crash? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools