Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Hmmm . . . did things just take a serious turnfor the US government? . . « previous next »
Page: 1

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« : June 14, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »

who would've wanted to do this?

"A cyber security firm hired by CBS News has determined through forensic analysis that Sharyl Attkisson’s computer was accessed by an unauthorized, external, unknown party on multiple occasions late in 2012. Evidence suggests this party performed all access remotely using Attkisson’s accounts. While no malicious code was found, forensic analysis revealed an intruder had executed commands that appeared to involve search and exfiltration of data.

This party also used sophisticated methods to remove all possible indications of unauthorized activity, and alter system times to cause further confusion.

CBS News is taking steps to identify the responsible party and their method of access.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2013/06/14/cbs-news-confirms-multiple-breaches-of-sharyl-attkissons-computer/
« : June 14, 2013, 01:56:07 PM VinBucFan »

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #1 : June 14, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »

Have to love this from CBS . . .  no doubt after it was edit by "legal"

Friday's announcement comes on the heels of last month's revelation that the Justice Department had seized the emails and phone records of Fox News correspondent James Rosen.

To be clear, the federal government has not been accused in the intrusion of Attkisson's computer; CBS News is continuing to work to identify the responsible party.

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #2 : June 14, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »

It case you were wondering, this is what the reporter was doing around the time of the security breach:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-33816_162-57536611/could-u.s-military-have-helped-during-libya-attack/?tag=socsh

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #3 : June 14, 2013, 03:48:46 PM »

The plot thickens:

"She said in an interview Friday that she was “outraged” by the breach, which did not appear to be aimed at extracting personal financial information"

“This wasn’t any ordinary malware of a phishing attempt,” that is, an effort to gain personal information, she said. “I assume someone wanted to see what I was working on.”

jbear

Pro Bowler

« #4 : June 15, 2013, 04:40:20 PM »

The plot thickens:

"She said in an interview Friday that she was “outraged” by the breach, which did not appear to be aimed at extracting personal financial information"

“This wasn’t any ordinary malware of a phishing attempt,” that is, an effort to gain personal information, she said. “I assume someone wanted to see what I was working on.”

Its all good as long as it's our benevolent government doing it for our own good. 

Also, government is only a good and benevolent entity when It isn't headed up by a republican president.  Last week on his show, Bill Maher came out saying he's fine with government spying now.... This is not what he said under the Bush administration and it's this kind of hypocrisy that makes me really skeptical of left leaners who post on message boards.  I know the extreme right is just as nutty but something about left leaners always pushes my buttons in just the wrong way.  How can you take anyone seriously who's convictions seem to change with the wind based on whether their choice is in power or not.  Civil liberties is a topic that I think a lot of democrats would be behind if we had a different president, say GWB.   

EDIT:  Sorry not calling Vin a left leaner, I had just read morgan's anti gun thread and probably brought a little of my disgust into this thread with me.  Some people though.
« : June 15, 2013, 04:43:18 PM jbear »

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #5 : June 15, 2013, 04:44:22 PM »

I brought this up with my parents last night and being left leaners they said they could care less and then my mother went on a rant about how there has been 5,000 gun deaths in the U.S. since Sandy Hook.  I love my folks but I do choose to live 1,700 miles away and am content to see them once a year. 

jbear

Pro Bowler

« #6 : June 15, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »

I brought this up with my parents last night and being left leaners they said they could care less and then my mother went on a rant about how there has been 5,000 gun deaths in the U.S. since Sandy Hook.  I love my folks but I do choose to live 1,700 miles away and am content to see them once a year.

I hear you.  I love my grandmother to death but she has some bigoted views.  I don't have to condone her views.  Anyway, I wonder just how many left leaners would feel a whole lot differently about all this spying stuff if W. was in power.  I'm guessing it works both ways too.  I'm very much a libertarian republican and I'm very pissed off about being spyed on but I have to admit that even in the last election this civil liberties minded approach to politics was on the fringe of the republican party.  Establishment party types pretty much scoffed at many of the civil liberties issues of people like Ron Paul etc. Now the entire right is up in arms over this.  I'm skeptical that it has any real staying power but I am pleased that at least from the outside looking in, people do seem to be paying attention to some of these important issues.

Edit: I was not implying your parents are bigots or say being liberal minded is the same thing.  I just meant that we don't have to agree with our relatives and if anything maybe having people you care about with views you disagree with can soften your stance when it comes to strangers with those views.  If the discussion was really about the issues instead of Red against Blue I think we'd be better off and more effectively governed.
« : June 15, 2013, 05:40:27 PM jbear »

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

« #7 : June 15, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »

Let's see... who could have wanted to snoop on her for talking about Benghazi??
I know!!!

(2) low level employees at 7-11 !!!

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #8 : June 15, 2013, 06:20:05 PM »

One of the biggest problems in the country is people on both sides placing their political affiliation above common sense.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #9 : June 16, 2013, 07:55:31 PM »

Another incidence of constitutional abuse.. Not surprisingly, this one centers on the 4th (again) and also the 2nd amendment too. I guess they figured they could kill 2  amendments w/ one stone. How convenient. As Biggs would say, "color me shocked" . Obama, DOJ, NSA working in collusion.  Carpet baggers undermining basic principles. Does it surprise anyone that Attkisson was working on the Gunwalking story? I'll let you figure it out.

"In Feb. 2011, Attkisson wrote a landmark report about the Fast and Furious gun-walking scandal, which earned her an Emmy award. Months later, she went on Ingraham’s radio show and said that officials from both the White House and the Justice Department had yelled and screamed at her because of her report.

“[The White House and Justice Department] will tell you that I’m the only reporter — as they told me — that is not reasonable,” Attkisson told Ingraham. “They say The Washington Post is reasonable, the L.A. Times is reasonable, The New York Times is reasonable, I’m the only one who thinks this is a story, and they think I’m unfair and biased by pursuing it.”

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/05/the-sharyl-attkisson-approach-164751.html

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : June 16, 2013, 08:50:55 PM »

If the "compromise" was late 2012, she was probably working on Benghazi more then the gunwalking story, but in any event you have to love a carefully crafted response:

"Dean Boyd, a Justice Department spokesperson, told POLITICO, “To our knowledge, the Justice Department has never ‘compromised’ Ms. Atkisson’s computers, or otherwise sought any information from or concerning any telephone, computer or other media device she may own or use.”

NSA is part of the DoD, I believe, and even if not the "to our knowledge" intro is odd.  The allegation is that the federal government hacked a reporter's computer, the response should be "that is such an absurd claim it doesn't event merit a response."  lol  Or, "that is such an absurd allegation that it doesn't actually merit a response but in an abundance of caution we have (or "are") conducted a thorough investigation and we categorically deny that any entity associated with the federal government ever did anything to Ms. Attkinson's or CBS's computers."

jbear

Pro Bowler

« #11 : June 26, 2013, 02:00:10 PM »

This should be a bigger story than it has been so far.  To me, it makes it all to clear that Americans need to talk about these things amongst themselves because the vast majority of media is controlled by the spindoctors in power.  The Obama administration apparently refers to that control on spin as the media "being reasonable".
« : June 26, 2013, 02:01:42 PM jbear »
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Hmmm . . . did things just take a serious turnfor the US government? . . « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools