Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: According to ESPN Bucs aren't even an option to make the playoffs « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#180 : June 20, 2013, 10:18:05 AM

NFL isn't a rivalry league.  They may want it to be, but they kill it with watered down divisions and parity.

There were some great rivalries during the Gruden and Dungy years.   Since then the Bucs haven't been rivals with anyone because they have stunk.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#181 : June 20, 2013, 10:19:18 AM

College rivalries to NFL rivalries are not the same.

The Bucs have division rivals, but they have nothing close to a rivalry like what we see with college rivalries like Auburn/Bama, OU/Texas, etc.

Not even close.
: June 20, 2013, 10:20:51 AM chace1986

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#182 : June 20, 2013, 10:20:44 AM

When you play a division opponent twice a year... and you go 1-1... nobody has bragging rights for the year.

Hoist the Battleflag

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#183 : June 20, 2013, 10:22:48 AM

College rivalries to NFL rivalries are not the same.

The Bucs have division rivals, but they have nothing close to a rivalry like what we see with college rivalries like Auburn/Bama, OU/Texas, etc.

Not even close.

+1

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#184 : June 20, 2013, 10:24:08 AM

anyway, you're trying to hard with "mentored" . . . 

You're having difficulty with what comprises the difference between an opponent and a rival.  Go back to your pirates cove to annoy the posters there.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/278921

somebody is cranky . .  you and the rest of the Croc crew all on the same cycle these days?

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#185 : June 20, 2013, 10:27:53 AM

By definition here - the Dolphins and the Pats are rivals. But who really thinks that. The NYJ and Pats are rivals mostly because their two head coaches are adding fuel. The Cowboys-Skins has been a rivalry for decades - since Landry and Allen were head coaches. Still a rivalry today.

Our rival over the years were the Eagles, Packers, Rams. Our players hated their players, our fans hated their fans. We celebrated when Sapp blindsided Clfton. We celebrated when Farve was beaten.  We celebrated when the Bucs screwed the Eagle's closing the Vet, opening the LInc.

There isn't enough significant history or animosity between NFC South teams other than possibly the North Carolina Panthers and the Bucs.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#186 : June 20, 2013, 10:30:44 AM

NFL isn't a rivalry league.  They may want it to be, but they kill it with watered down divisions and parity.

There were some great rivalries during the Gruden and Dungy years.   Since then the Bucs haven't been rivals with anyone because they have stunk.

closest I heard anyone from the recent Bucs talking smack about a fellow NFC opponent was RahRah laughing off the Falcons paying so much to draft Julio Jones.  Guess Morris' overconfidence kind of backfired on him.....

jbear

Pro Bowler

#187 : June 20, 2013, 10:31:07 AM

anyway, you're trying to hard with "mentored" . . . 

You're having difficulty with what comprises the difference between an opponent and a rival.  Go back to your pirates cove to annoy the posters there.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/278921

Morgan honestly, I can't grasp how you don't get it.  I see a few people want to agree with you because they remember fondly going up against the Rams for those few years or the Pakers and but that kind of stuff does not make a real rivalry.  that's a bump in the road in the grand scheme of things.  Again, you're right, we haven't been very good for several years but our division rivalries getting heated depends entirely on them being good at the same time we are.  So far the Kitties were the most consistently decent when we were having our better years and that rivalry was real and fairly intense. I still hate those guys.  Steve Smith doing his best capain jack in the North endzone at Rayjay and conversely, the Bucs dismantling a hot Panthers team at Rayjay, completely embarrassing them some years ago.  Don't tell me those teams didn't hate each other.  Don't tell me Steve Smith doesn't dislike the Bucs.  He's had good days against us be he's gotten jacked up too. 

ATL and NO have also had some rivalry with us. If you want to take the short view and pretend the last 3 or 4 seasons is everything then you're missing the big picture.  For anyone like morgan who's having trouble grasping the concept of how to man up try this exercise out:

Imagine for a moment that people like me and jerseybucfan do actually exist and aren't a figment of your imagination.  Imagine we really do get UP for those division games.  Imagine people like us make up 20% of the fanbase.  (I would really wish it would be WAY more than that.) Imagine the kitties aints and goons can manage half the men we have. (a reasonable assessment) That amounts to a rivalry.  If the women and children aren't excited enough that's their problem.  I really hope that helps you understand.
: June 20, 2013, 10:37:24 AM jbear

DejaVu

Starter

#188 : June 20, 2013, 10:33:55 AM

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#189 : June 20, 2013, 10:36:53 AM

There isn't enough significant history or animosity between NFC South teams other than possibly the North Carolina Panthers and the Bucs.
how do you know there's no animosity?

if you only want to live in the past and speak of hallowed and storied rivalries (in your best sabol voice), then sure, whatever.  but its a different game today, with FA and society in general.  but heck, being a division opponent is the exact definition of rivalry.

and no, i dont believe NFL rivalries and college rivalries are the same.  i believe both the college rivalry references were to put the notion that you cant have a rivalry with a team that beats you the majority of the time.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

DejaVu

Starter

#190 : June 20, 2013, 10:38:53 AM

you cant have a rivalry with a team that beats you the majority of the time.

Good post.   That's why the Bucs are not rivals of anyone since 2008.   They lose to everyone.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#191 : June 20, 2013, 10:48:30 AM

If the Bucs played NYG on a regular basis I think we'd have the makings for a very good rivalry.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000064662/article/two-new-york-giants-fined-for-reaction-to-bucs-blitz

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#192 : June 20, 2013, 10:49:25 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213596/article/warren-sapp-simeon-rice-better-than-michael-strahan

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#193 : June 20, 2013, 10:59:58 AM

"Imagine for a moment that people like me and jerseybucfan do actually exist and aren't a figment of your imagination.  Imagine we really do get UP for those division games.  Imagine people like us make up 20% of the fanbase.  (I would really wish it would be WAY more than that.) Imagine the kitties aints and goons can manage half the men we have. (a reasonable assessment) That amounts to a rivalry."

You seem to be under the impression that because you feel animosity towards another team, the Buccaneer's players must as well. It's nice that you identify with the team, but you're letting your heart overrule your head in your insistence that everyone else must feel the same way you do.

Personally, I've hated the Cowboys and the Raiders for decades, but I don't delude myself with hallucinations that this means the Bucs have a rivalry with them. You are assigning your own feelings to other parties, with no evidence to support doing so.

jbear

Pro Bowler

#194 : June 20, 2013, 11:06:07 AM

If the Bucs played NYG on a regular basis I think we'd have the makings for a very good rivalry.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000064662/article/two-new-york-giants-fined-for-reaction-to-bucs-blitz

You mean if they were in our division? Leave it to you to take one gimmick play and turn it into a rivalry. 
Page: 1 ... 11 12 13 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: According to ESPN Bucs aren't even an option to make the playoffs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools