Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Aaron Rodgers takes a shot at Gruden « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 14

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : June 22, 2013, 12:10:50 AM »

Aaron Rodgers takes a shot at Gruden by taking a shot at Magic

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 21, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT

PFT

Getty Images

As a Monday Night Football analyst, former NFL head coach Jon Gruden has developed a reputation for offering nothing but positive commentary: This guy is great, that guy is great, every guy is great. Although Gruden has built a successful media career with that approach, he also takes some criticism for fans and members of the media who would prefer a color commentator who’s willing to speak with more candor when a player isn’t getting the job done.

And it turns out that at least one NFL player thinks Gruden goes overboard, too.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers was entertainingly tweeting during Thursday night’s NBA Finals Game 7, and in one particular tweet, he critiqued ESPN basketball analyst Magic Johnson by saying that Johnson is too much like Gruden because he talks like “Everybody is the greatest everything.”

Aaron Rodgers        ✔ @AaronRodgers12

Magic is quickly becoming the John Gruden of ESPN NBA coverage. Everybody is the greatest everything. #bedtime

10:26 PM - 20 Jun 2013

I don’t watch enough of ESPN’s NBA coverage to know if Rodgers’ criticism of Johnson is valid, but I do agree with Rodgers that Gruden can be so relentlessly positive about every player that his analysis becomes pointless: When you call every player great it can serve to diminish the players who are truly great. Perhaps that’s why it took a truly great player to call Gruden out.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #1 : June 22, 2013, 12:33:05 AM »

Rodgers wasn't good enough for the offensive genius to draft though.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #2 : June 22, 2013, 12:37:43 AM »

The QB guru knew better!!

-------------------------------------------------------

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #3 : June 22, 2013, 01:00:26 AM »

Are we really going to have this debate again?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #4 : June 22, 2013, 01:46:42 AM »

I am generally a positive guy, but Gruden makes me want to hurl.  He lays it on too thick.  Its ok to rip a player once in awhile. it shows you are fair and balanced.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #5 : June 22, 2013, 01:56:28 AM »

what is there to debate??

-------------------------------------------------------

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

« #6 : June 22, 2013, 01:58:09 AM »

Gruden is the #1 reason I stopped watching MNF, dude is just annoying.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #7 : June 22, 2013, 03:23:23 AM »

Slobbers all over the jock of any guy that makes a good play...even if it was the players only good play of the game.

Its like he has a man crush on every player.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
« #8 : June 22, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »

This guy, this guy right here, now that is a football player.  I talked with this guy before the game and I can tell that he is a phenominal competitor and blessed with great talent at every facet of the game.  If I was still coaching on those sidelines I would love to have this guy strapping em up for me.   

Now read that while having the posture of a politician and that my friends is how you J Gruden.     

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #9 : June 22, 2013, 09:10:14 AM »

The man isn't a sniper and he uses bright adjectives to describe athletes at the highest level.

He entertains me.

And when he disagrees, he seems to get quiet. Seahawks game v. Green Bay for example.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #10 : June 22, 2013, 10:13:43 AM »

I'd rather listen to Gruden blow sunshine up every players ass than listen to that terribly distracting lisp of Mayock which sucks because I really like the content of Mayock calling a game.
« : June 22, 2013, 10:15:27 AM Bschucher »

Naismith

Hall of Famer
« #11 : June 22, 2013, 11:34:10 AM »

I was not a fan of Gruden the coach at all, but I don't mind him doing commentary. I think he's a fun listen and don't mind the always-cheery demeanor. He clearly didn't have the passion for coaching, but he seems to enjoy what he's doing and it comes through in his work.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #12 : June 22, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »

what is there to debate??

lol

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

« #13 : June 22, 2013, 12:08:56 PM »

rodgers needs to check himself, you don't just call out Magic like that, he's got 5 damn rings and is a GOAT of US sports, and is a nice guy. he can be as positive about whoever the hell he wants to be

if you actually watch that commentary lineup of Jalen, Wilbon, Simmons and Magic you realize how all the personalities mesh almost perfectly and that Magic fits right in there

people always trying to be this or that guy making the snarky comment at someone else's expense, just to get a few laughs..... just shut the **CENSORED** up please

Naismith

Hall of Famer
« #14 : June 22, 2013, 12:19:23 PM »

I do not share your enthusiasm about that lineup. I think Jalen is good and Wilbon is fine, but the rest leave a lot to be desired. I think it's a bad show on its own merit, but if you take the additional step and compare it to TNT, it's even worse.

That is not to diminish what Magic did on the court. He was one of the greatest ever.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Aaron Rodgers takes a shot at Gruden « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools