Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Aaron Rodgers takes a shot at Gruden « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 14

deadzone

Hall of Famer

« #15 : June 22, 2013, 01:07:17 PM »

I despise his azz........as a coach and an analyst.....but I despise Al Michaels and Chris Collingsworth more.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #16 : June 22, 2013, 01:30:17 PM »

How could you despise him? Guy brought us our one and only SB. Also helped the team to the playoffs a few times after that but no wins after that SB. I thought he could have done better with better talent but never got that opportunity.  But it was time for him to go when it was. Players were getting tired of his shtick.  Maybe Morris wasnt right for the job at the time but it was clearly time to move on from Gruden. I like him on MNF though. I think he will try his luck with coaching again at some point. I know buc fans will be interested in that.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #17 : June 22, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »

How could you despise him? Guy brought us our one and only SB. Also helped the team to the playoffs a few times after that but no wins after that SB. I thought he could have done better with better talent but never got that opportunity.  But it was time for him to go when it was. Players were getting tired of his shtick.  Maybe Morris wasnt right for the job at the time but it was clearly time to move on from Gruden. I like him on MNF though. I think he will try his luck with coaching again at some point. I know buc fans will be interested in that.
i agree with most of this.   the talent opportunity is a bit questionable though.  and i think we can now say morris definitely wasnt right for the job.  but if schiano is it will all be worth it.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #18 : June 22, 2013, 03:57:20 PM »

i LOVE Gruden for 2002, post Superbowl.....not so much. Passing on Rodgers should haunt him every day!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #19 : June 22, 2013, 07:55:54 PM »

i LOVE Gruden for 2002, post Superbowl.....not so much. Passing on Rodgers should haunt him every day!!

As pissed as Rodgers looked on draft day, I would guess, even though its been 8 years, he could name every team that passed on him.   The Cowboys passed on him twice.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #20 : June 22, 2013, 09:49:45 PM »

As pissed as Rodgers looked on draft day, I would guess, even though its been 8 years, he could name every team that passed on him.   The Cowboys passed on him twice.

Yea, but the Cowboys didn't tell him they'd take him @ #5

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #21 : June 23, 2013, 12:09:12 AM »

Hate, refresh me with that scenario please.  Heard it but don't remember.

“There is going to be a Buccaneer way and they’re going to be Buccaneer men.’’
“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #22 : June 23, 2013, 12:36:57 AM »

Hate, refresh me with that scenario please.  Heard it but don't remember.

This is the story of how the Bucs let Super Bowl-winning quarterback Aaron Rodgers get away.

It's a loser's lament shared by many teams, for sure. The Cal star lasted until the Packers selected him 24th overall in the 2005 draft.

But considering the cross-country private workout arranged by then-Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden, the surprise receiver sprung on the then-21-year-old Rodgers and the phone call a few days before the draft, at least Rodgers was convinced he would be a Buccaneer.

"Jon actually called me, when I was in New York, on Thursday, April 21 (two days before the draft), and sounded like at the time they were going to take me with the fifth pick,'' Rodgers said Wednesday.

The Bucs had three quarterbacks on their roster before that draft: Brian Griese, Chris Simms and Luke McCown. Veteran Tim Rattay was added before the trading deadline from the 49ers.

With Utah's Alex Smith and Rodgers considered the top quarterbacks in the draft, Gruden, then-Bucs quarterbacks coach Paul Hackett and then-general manager Bruce Allen traveled to Cal in Berkeley, Calif., near San Francisco, in spring 2005. Jerry Rice, the league's all-time receiving leader, had played for Gruden and Allen with the Raiders and lived in the San Francisco area.

They arranged a meeting with Rodgers and a private workout, and after watching film, told him the guy he would be throwing to would be a surprise.

"Jon … said he had a surprise for me after we kind of watched some film and talked some ball,'' Rodgers said. "One of my childhood, favorite players, being a huge 49ers fan growing up, Jerry Rice comes walking down the steps, and I get to throw passes to him.

"Think about a 21-year-old kid throwing to one of your idols, how nervous you think you would be, I was that and then some. I overthrew him a couple times, but it was exciting to be able to throw to him and to work with Jon and Paul, great coaches who had been around the game a long time.''

The rest, as they say, is history.

Two days after telephoning Rodgers, the Bucs used the No. 5 overall pick to take Auburn running back Cadillac Williams, who became the NFL's offensive rookie of the year before two knee injuries sabotaged his career.

Smith went No. 1 overall to the 49ers.

Rodgers was selected by the Packers, sat four years behind Brett Favre, won a Super Bowl last season and has his team off to a 9-0 start heading into Sunday's game against the Bucs at Lambeau Field.

"I don't fault them for taking Cadillac," Rodgers said. "He had an incredible college career and a great rookie season. He was slowed down by some injuries.

"But I don't blame them at all or don't hold any animosity toward Jon and Bruce or the organization. Everything kind of happens for a reason. Looking back on when they came out and visited me in Berkeley, that was one of my top moments in my sports career, being able to throw to Jerry Rice.''

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/aaron-rodgers-was-told-by-tampa-bay-buccaneers-days-before-2005-draft-he/1202088

While saying he doesn’t hold grudges, Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers told the Tampa Bay media in a conference call Wednesday a pretty interesting story about how he was convinced the Bucs would draft him in 2005.

Rodgers, who has a reputation for looking for any perceived slight to provide motivation, even recalled the exact date former Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden led him to believe he was coming to the Bucs.

“Jon actually called me, when I was in New York, on Thursday, April 21st, and sounded like at the time they were going to take me with the fifth pick,'' Rodgers said.

Rodgers went on to recall how the Bucs went to great lengths to look at him in the draft process. They even brought in Jerry Rice to catch passes from him in a private workout.

Of course, we all know the Bucs didn’t draft Rodgers. He lasted until No. 24, when the Packers took him and let him sit while Brett Favre continued playing. Instead, the Bucs took running back Cadillac Williams.

That turned out to be a fateful decision for Gruden. Part of the reason he was fired after the 2008 season was that he never developed a quarterback for the long term. Revisionist history often is a little harsh, but this isn’t simply the story of the Bucs drafting the wrong guy. At first, it looked like the Bucs found the right guy.

Williams, who the Tampa Bay staff became enamored with when coaching him in the Senior Bowl, had an outstanding rookie season. But Williams later suffered two devastating knee injuries and never again was the same player.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/27632/bucs-could-have-had-aaron-rodgers

Once upon a time, Aaron Rodgers was convinced he would be the quarterback of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Bucs held the fifth pick in the draft and Rodgers was almost certain the Bucs would be calling his name. After all, the Bucs traveled across the country for a private workout and they brought with them Jerry Rice to catch passes from Rodgers, as Rick Stroud of the St. Petersburg Times detailed.

“Jon (Gruden) said he had a surprise for me after we kind of watched some film and talked some ball,'' Rodgers said. "One of my childhood, favorite players, being a huge 49ers fan growing up, Jerry Rice comes walking down the steps, and I get to throw passes to him.

"Think about a 21-year-old kid throwing to one of your idols, how nervous you think you would be, I was that and then some. I overthrew him a couple times, but it was exciting to be able to throw to him.''

Gruden called Rodgers two days before the draft and he figured it was a lock if he made it to the fifth pick. Then, the Bucs drafted Cadillac Williams and, well, the history was made for the Green Bay Packers.

"I don't fault them for taking Cadillac," Rodgers said as he prepares to face the Buccaneers this Sunday. "He had an incredible college career and a great rookie season. He was slowed down by some injuries.

"But I don't blame them at all or don't hold any animosity toward Jon and Bruce (Allen) or the organization. Everything kind of happens for a reason. Looking back on when they came out and visited me in Berkeley, that was one of my top moments in my sports career, being able to throw to Jerry Rice.''

Nearly every team in the league can play the what-if game when it comes to Rodgers, who is on pace to have a record-setting season. Of course, that list is topped by the San Francisco 49ers, who had the No. 1 pick and drafted Utah quarterback Alex Smith instead. The Niners probably could have rounded up Rice to catch passes from Rodgers as well, right?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Aaron-Rodgers-thought-he-would-be-a-Buccaneer.html

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #23 : June 23, 2013, 12:47:53 AM »

Yep, that's it, thanks.
Wonder what happened in the war room that day...

“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

Naismith

Hall of Famer

« #24 : June 23, 2013, 01:12:33 AM »

I think Gruden was just so used to lying to players, he did it subconsciously. He probably didn't even realize he was doing it at the time.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

« #25 : June 23, 2013, 02:23:13 AM »

I really believe a  lot of Rodger's play comes from spending all those years behind Favre. I'll put my money on the fact that Gruden would have **CENSORED**ed up this kid one way or another.

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #26 : June 23, 2013, 02:45:06 AM »

Naismith, I know that's the rep, a lot of it because of Keyshaun IIRC, but Sapp said in his book that Gruden was honest to the players to their face.  The captains had his back as well, so that's counter-intuitive to the image that many of us have of Gruden.  The truth lies somewhere in between, methinks.

Delta, can't be a fact if it's an opinion.

Naismith

Hall of Famer

« #27 : June 23, 2013, 11:22:30 AM »

My experience with the "Gruden was a liar" reputation came from the mouths of some Bucs players while I worked in radio.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #28 : June 23, 2013, 11:45:24 AM »

I'm sure none of that kind of thing ever happens in the radio business... [/color]

We will be Carolina ready when we are Carolina ready.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
« #29 : June 23, 2013, 02:03:49 PM »

The response to the Gruden/Rodgers story is . .  "Gruden was a liar" . . . . . huh?

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center
  Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Aaron Rodgers takes a shot at Gruden « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools