Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SCOTUS Strikes Voting Rights Act « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 15

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« : June 25, 2013, 08:37:59 PM »

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/25/19132385-supreme-court-strikes-down-part-of-voting-rights-act?lite

The Supreme Court on Tuesday struck down a key part of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 — the map that determines which states must get federal permission before they change their voting laws.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #1 : June 25, 2013, 09:41:36 PM »

woooops

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/25/democratic-lawmaker-hits-justice-uncle-thomas/

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #2 : June 25, 2013, 09:56:39 PM »

"enlightened" progressive website photo:

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #3 : June 26, 2013, 07:19:32 AM »

‘Our country has changed’.....Justice Roberts.

Wish he'd remember that when making decisions about our gun laws.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : June 26, 2013, 08:01:55 AM »

imagine if they didnt punt on affirmative action

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #5 : June 26, 2013, 09:29:26 AM »

woooops

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/25/democratic-lawmaker-hits-justice-uncle-thomas/

LOL, gotta love that idiot Allen West playing the Paula Deen card. I bet West is a big fan of hers. He just ought to be thanking his lucky stars that he doesn't have a "Thomas" in his name. Clarence Thomas is such a joke of a justice. How do you sit on the bench for  23 years and hardly ever ask any questions during oral arguments? Thurgood Marshall is turning over in his grave.

If there was any further evidence needed to show that this court is about as activist as they come, and that Marbury V Madison needs to be revisited and revoked, this is it. I'm certain that Thomas Jefferson turns in his grave like a pinwheel whenever this court makes a ruling.

I was, however, pleasantly surprised and pleased by "Majority Leader" Eric Cantor's comments on the ruling. Maybe conservatives in the house and senate will put their big boy pants on and correct this egregious miscarriage of justice after all. We'll see.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #6 : June 26, 2013, 09:36:07 AM »

Color me shocked...

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/06/25/2212281/two-hours-after-the-supreme-court-gutted-the-voting-rights-act-texas-ag-suppresses-minority-voters/

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #7 : June 26, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »

woooops

LOL, gotta love that idiot Allen West playing the Paula Deen card. I bet West is a big fan of hers. He just ought to be thanking his lucky stars that he doesn't have a "Thomas" in his name. Clarence Thomas is such a joke of a justice. How do you sit on the bench for  23 years and hardly ever ask any questions during oral arguments? Thurgood Marshall is turning over in his grave.

Oh the irony. Apparently it is fine to be a racist pig if your are a "progressive"

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #8 : June 26, 2013, 10:21:16 AM »

woooops

Oh the irony. Apparently it is fine to be a racist pig if your are a "progressive"

"Uncle Tom" is a term generally used by African Americans towards other African Americans. It has no historical significance as a racial slur, because people of other races generally never use it as a pejorative against African Americans. Comparing this to Paula Deen using the N-word and throwing plantation parties is about as false an equivalency as there is.
« : June 26, 2013, 10:23:06 AM CBWx2 »

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #9 : June 26, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »

"Uncle Tom" is a term generally used by African Americans towards other African Americans. It has no historical significance as a racial slur, because people of other races generally never use it as a pejorative against African Americans. Comparing this to Paula Deen using the N-word and throwing plantation parties is about as false an equivalency as there is.

Oh really?

I might just know a whole bunch of folks who would take exception to what you just said.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : June 26, 2013, 11:15:46 AM »

"Uncle Tom" is still a  derogatory term and that does not change just because it is used "African Americans towards other African Americans"  C'mon now.  It is meant as a slight, a put down.

The links and pictures I posted on here and, with all due respect, CBW's comments are the kind of stuff we need OUT of political discourse . .  that and a little honesty . .  the "Uncle Thomas" reference was appalling under any circumstances, let alone talking about a Justice of the Supreme Court . . . let's at least speak the truth . .  everything is not  "us against them" .. .  and this ruling is not the end of the world, no one is rolling over in their grave
« : June 26, 2013, 11:17:26 AM VinBucFan »

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #11 : June 26, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »

Oh really?

I might just know a whole bunch of folks who would take exception to what you just said.

You might. I might also know an even bigger group of folks that wouldn't.

Uncle Tom is a term used within a ethnic or minority group to identify someone in the same group as being subservient to the dominant culture. African Americans coined the term, but others have used it, for example, Jane Fonda once referred to women in powerful positions who treat other women poorly in the work place as "Uncle Toms". It is not a racial pejorative, as it is rarely, if ever, used by one racial group to demean another racial group.

But if you want to pretend that this is akin to using the N-word and throwing parties that celebrate the culture of slavery, then have at it. It is, after all, a free country.

deadzone

Hall of Famer

« #12 : June 26, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »

I don't see much changing........Blacks are true Americans and won't be targeted...despite what those inside the Beltway say. They still see the Southern States as a racist machine, but that's just typical of the diseased that hold power.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #13 : June 26, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »

"Uncle Tom" is still a  derogatory term and that does not change just because it is used "African Americans towards other African Americans"  C'mon now.  It is meant as a slight, a put down.

I don't recall arguing that it wasn't a slight or a put down. I argued that it wasn't a racial slur, and it isn't. I argued that likening it to Paula Deen throwing plantation parties and using the N-word is a false equivalency, and it is.

Now as to the picture, I agree. Over the line. But so were West's comments. Yet you, Mr. Non-Partisan, didn't seem to take issue with them. Interesting...

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #14 : June 26, 2013, 11:35:03 AM »

and this ruling is not the end of the world, no one is rolling over in their grave

You're right. I'm sure Thurgood Marshall, a man who lived through Jim Crow and dedicated his entire life and career to seeing it ended, a life and career culminated by the passage of the very law that was just partially struck down, would be perfectly fine with it. I'm sure he wouldn't see Clarence Thomas as an Uncle Tom at all...

???

Page: 1 2 3 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SCOTUS Strikes Voting Rights Act « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools