Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Darrelle Revis have the NFL's best nickname ? « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : July 03, 2013, 12:00:42 AM »

The 10 Best NFL Nicknames Of The Last 10 Years

By Mick Warshaw

July 02, 2013 9:04 am

**CENSORED** “Night Train” Lane.  Walter “Sweetness” Payton.  Billy “White Shoes” Johnson.  “Neon” Deion Sanders, aka “Prime Time.”  The Nigerian Nightmare.  The Terminator.  Hacksaw.

NFL lore is rife with great nicknames, and modern day players are no exception. 

Some are great descriptions of what a player does, some refer to how they do it, some just refer to who they are.

Most are about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

To make this list, the only qualifications are a) a great nickname (obviously!) and b) to have been on any team’s active roster during the regular season in the last ten years.

Group nicknames will count too, because really, who’s to say “The Fearsome Foursome” isn’t as cool as “The Manster?”

Let’s get this party started!

Adrian Peterson - All Day (and Purple Jesus)

1 of 10

Peterson has been spectacular since he burst into the national consciousness as a true freshman at the University of Oklahoma. He set the Sooners’ freshman rushing record, then finished second in the Heisman voting.

The rest of his college career was similarly awesome, so the Vikings drafted him at #7 in 2007, and he’s been pretty damn good for them too.
He has been called All Day since before his time at Oklahoma, and it has been used in the sense of “how long is Peterson gonna come at you? ALL DAY!”

Purple Jesus, obviously, is a reference to the fact that he is the savior of the Vikings franchise. It’s kind of lame, and All Day is a much cooler nickname. Where’d that one come from?

Peterson told Men’s Fitness about it in his rookie year: “It's the name I've been had since I was young. A lot of people get it kind of twisted up, "it's easier to just be AP," but it's the first two initials of my name, AD, All Day. I was so active, always had energy, just running around. I'm pretty sure there are people that just can't sit still, they've got so much energy, always moving, always doing something. That's how I got that name.”

Oh yeah, that picture of the Hulk? That’s Peterson in his Halloween costume. All he did was paint himself green. He must spend all day in the gym to get that ripped.

Andy Dalton - The Red Rifle

2 of 10

Andy Dalton broke “Slingin’” Sammy Baugh’s record for wins at TCU. That by itself deserves a nickname and, in keeping with Baugh’s own moniker, Dalton got one that referenced his ability to fire the pigskin.

An obvious reference to his red hair and his position, the Red Rifle also brings to mind a certain Christmas present a little boy was sure to shoot his eye out with – a Red Ryder carbine.

Under Dalton’s leadership, the previously moribund Bengals have made consecutive playoff appearances the last two years, and have the camera crews from Hard Knocks coming in to training camp to record their preparations for a third.

Soon we’ll all get to know the Red Rifle a little bit better.

LenDale White & Chris Johnson - Smash & Dash

3 of 10

Johnson has his own nickname, CJ2K, but it is stupid. This one, on the other hand, given to Johnson and his backfield mate White in 2008, has a little character.

The name references White’s bruising style (smash) and Johnson’s blazing speed (dash). White got to hurl his large frame at tacklers to soften them up for Johnson to run away from, and the duo were extremely effective in pacing the Titans to a 13-3 record in ’08.

White scored 15 touchdowns to pace the league, and Johnson notched 1,228 yards in his debut season. The tandem wouldn’t last, though. In 2008, White fell off the proverbial cliff, while Johnson exploded with a 2,006 yard 14 touchdown performance.

Johnson is still Tennessee’s starting back. White hasn’t played in a game since the end of the 2009 season. They will always have ’08, though.

Darelle Revis - Revis Island

4 of 10

In football-speak, cornerbacks have long been said to be “on an island” when they are in man-to-man coverage against a wide receiver. This refers to the fact that they are isolated, with no help. Receivers love getting guys on an island.

Not Revis island, though.
Revis allowed three passing touchdowns in his rookie year (2007), then one each in his next two years (!), while defending an NFL record 31 passes in ’09.

It was during this tremendous campaign that the Revis Island name was born, seemingly organically.

It caught on quickly, with New York mayor Michael Bloomberg declaring the city to be Revis Island for the duration of the Jets playoff run that season.

Revis Island is an ugly place to be marooned. In that 2009 season (still Revis’ best), opposing wideouts did not crack 70 yards in a game on the Island, and Revis faced a murderer’s row of all-stars.

This coming season, the Island has been relocated to Tampa Bay. We will find out soon if Revis is still the same player after a gruesome knee injury ended his season in week two last year.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis - The Law Firm

5 of 10

What do you call a guy with four names? You call him something that has a bunch of names in it, of course.

Law Firm got his name from teammates as a rookie in 2008, precisely because he has four names.
His career hasn’t been quite as good as his nickname, although it is notable that he had the longest stretch without a fumble to start a career in NFL history (589 touches).

Calvin Johnson - Megatron

6 of 10

Johnson was one of a slew of wide receivers drafted in the first round by Matt Millen during his inexplicably long tenure as Lions’ GM. He is also the only one that worked out.

Johnson last year became the second receiver in league history to post consecutive 1,500+ yard seasons (Andre Johnson) in addition to setting the all-time single-season yardage mark (1,964).

So why is Johnson’s sobriquet pilfered from the leader of the Decepticons, a robot that turns into a gun?

It turns out former teammate Roy Williams dubbed Johnson Megatron because of the freakishly large size of his hands. Megatron had big hands too, see, and since Calvin has big hands…

You know, I think I’m going to go back to believing it’s because Johnson wouldn’t hesitate to destroy anyone in his path (on the field) and can do it.

Marshawn Lynch - Beast Mode

7 of 10

Lynch came by this name when he responded to a question from a reporter. Asked to describe his running style, Lynch said “beast mode.”

The name stuck with him, although it didn’t really enter mainstream consciousness until Lynch’s truly beast mode run against the Saints in the playoffs following the 2010 season.

Lynch broke eight tackles while rumbling 67 yards to score the eventual game-winning touchdown against heavily favored New Orleans. Seattle’s fans responded with such enthusiasm (read: noise) they actually caused an earthquake in the surrounding area.

Given that the run a) was in the playoffs and b) sealed the win, some pundits have called it the best run in NFL history.

Shawne Merriman - Lights Out

8 of 10

Now this is a bad man’s nickname! Merriman, known for getting after the quarterback, was nicknamed “Lights Out” following a game in high school in which he knocked out four guys.

Not out of the game, but out of consciousness.

Lights out, meatball!

It’s hard to imagine this name being applied to somebody in today’s concussion-sensitive NFL, but Merriman was drafted in 2005, back when Clinton Portis was still playing with at least 10 concussions.

Unfortunately for Merriman, his once promising career has never been the same since he injured his knee in training camp in 2008.

In 2006, Merriman was suspended for four games following a positive test for Nandrolone, a banned steroid. After a dismal season with the Bills last year, Merriman announced his retirement this offseason.

Seahawks Defensive Backs - Legion of Boom

9 of 10

Richard Sherman, Brandon Browner, Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas had the audacity to give themselves this fantastic nickname last year. Their play backed it up.

The Seahawks allowed the fewest points in the NFL last year, and picked off opposing quarterbacks 22 times.
Sherman and Browner, at 6’4” and 6’3” respectively, make up the tallest starting cornerback duo in NFL history. Their size helps them to lay the lumber – or bring the boom, if you like – with the best of them.

According to Sherman, the inspiration for the name came from the Stadium constantly playing the P.O.D. song Here Comes The Boom combined with, as Chancellor says, all of them having “that boom.”

Of course, the name also evokes images of over-the-top professional wrestlers The Legion of Doom, whose costumes included football-style shoulder pads adorned with spikes.

However they came up with it, this is a fitting name that sounds good and lends itself well to all kinds of awesome imagery.

Marion Barber III - Marion The Barbarian

10 of 10

Barber is known mostly for his time with the Cowboys. He earned this intimidating moniker in 2007 for his intimidating rushing style – in your face and looking for contact. Barber was known for saying “hit or get hit,” and led the league in broken tackles in ’07.

Barber’s best season actually came the previous year, when he scored 14 TDs and led the Cowboys in points scored.

In college, Barber teamed with Laurence Maroney at the University of Minnesota to become one of the best back tandems in NCAA history. The pair were the first to each rush for 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons.
Barber played his final season in 2011 for the Bears. A costly fumble followed by a mental error (running out of bounds late) in a loss to the Broncos signaled an ignominious end to this bruiser’s career.

Teammate Terrell Owens is credited with coining this nickname.

http://www.footballnation.com/content/the-10-best-nfl-nicknames-the-last-10-years/23314/

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #1 : July 03, 2013, 01:01:11 AM »

Muscle Hamster would rank pretty high if Dougie would just embrace it.

And WD-40 was better than Smash and Dash.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #2 : July 03, 2013, 02:46:44 AM »

It's tough to get over the Napoleon complex. I bet he won't take crap from anyone, regardless of size difference. And it's probably what is going to make him special.

My question is, what would he rather be called...muscle whale? ..the name has got to match, and in his case, it does. He needs to get over it and just make some money off of it.

I mean, it couldn't be more embarrassing than Facebook pictures of him in a onezee, so wtf is he complaining about?

We can't all have "cool" names (which I think his is) like Megatron or revis island.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #3 : July 03, 2013, 09:29:24 AM »

Dalton's nickname I thought was Roadhouse after the main character named Dalton in the movie Roadhouse.  The greatest movie ever made btw.  The only one that comes close is Death Wish 3.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #4 : July 03, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »

Dalton's nickname I thought was Roadhouse after the main character named Dalton in the movie Roadhouse.  The greatest movie ever made btw.  The only one that comes close is Death Wish 3.

The Shawshank Redemption, just sayin!!

dbrooks55

Starter

« #5 : July 03, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »

Couldn't agree more with the Musclehamster....it's just too good!

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #6 : July 03, 2013, 01:37:11 PM »

What could beat Megatron?

Muscle hamster is dope, Doug needs to get it together.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

« #7 : July 03, 2013, 01:49:54 PM »

Just a few Bucs off the top of my head, Jack Thompson, "The Throwin Samoan",  Brad "The Bull" Johnson,  Michael "Stone Hands" Clayton, Tim "Toast" Wansley.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #8 : July 03, 2013, 02:42:12 PM »

Yeah, muscle hamster is bad, epically bad but if he would just laugh it off it would get huge and make him famous!

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Knucknbuc

Pro Bowler

« #9 : July 03, 2013, 02:58:46 PM »

Can't wait to see which team of DB's is gonna play  better this year the "Legion of Boom" or the "No Fly Zone." Personally NO FLY ZONE is gonna take over as the best positional nickname and become best secondary in the league.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #10 : July 03, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »

Yeah, muscle hamster is bad, epically bad but if he would just laugh it off it would get huge and make him famous!

and more importantly.... very rich!!!

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

« #11 : July 03, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »

The Red Board's nick name obsession continues to baffle me x)

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : July 03, 2013, 10:09:51 PM »

Its a very fitting name for Dougie. He may embrace it after awhile. When he comes to the conclusion,  there is no stopping it. 

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #13 : July 03, 2013, 10:14:52 PM »

Its a very fitting name for Dougie. He may embrace it after awhile. When he comes to the conclusion,  there is no stopping it.

but how many millions will he have lost in the meantime?

fanofkit

Hall of Famer

« #14 : July 03, 2013, 10:47:46 PM »

Agree 100% about WD-40....
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Darrelle Revis have the NFL's best nickname ? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools