Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bowers better than Terrell Suggs? « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 01, 2013, 12:03:09 AM

Buccaneers rightly believe Da'Quan Bowers is ready to break out

By Sander Philipse

on Jun 30 2013

Streeter Lecka
Better than Terrell Suggs? Bowers' 2012 production at least suggests that that could be the case.

Whenever I wonder about Da'Quan Bowers' future in the NFL, I go back and watch one play from the 2012 season. Specifically, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' week 11 matchup with the Carolina Panthers. At the end of the first quarter, Da'Quan Bowers embarrassed a Pro Bowler to sack another Pro Bowler. All of Bowers' considerable physical gifts were on display in just his fifth game back from an Achilles injury.

It looked impressive enough on broadcast footage, but it isn't until you watch the All-22 endzone footage that you really see how special that play was.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000097352/Buccaneers-defense-sack-10-yd-loss

Jordan Gross isn't the best left tackle in the NFL, but he's a more than adequate starter -- and this is just embarrassing. Note that he loses despite the fact that he's getting help to the outside from a running back, and despite the fact that this is just a three-man rush. He just gets put on skates by Bowers.

I wanted to show this play because it really shows off Bowers' best attribute: the ability to stay low and win the leverage battle. More than anything, Bowers is a power rusher who wins with leverage and hand usage. He has to improve his hand usage to win more consistently, but this is what he can do when he's at his best. Bowers just gets under Gross's pads, and that's a very difficult thing to do. Plays like these are why the Bucs are very high on him this season -- they just need to get him to do this more often.

There's one other reason why the Bucs should be high on Bowers, though.

Bowers outperformed Terrell Suggs

Da'Quan Bowers and Terrell Suggs have a few things in common: they're both edge rushers who work primarily off power rush moves, and they both tore their Achilles tendons during the 2012 offseason and returned from that injury that very same year. Both of them were noticeably limited after their injury, with Suggs notching 2 sacks in 8 games while Bowers had 3 in 10 games. That was a noticeable dip for Suggs, who had managed just over 9 sacks per season over his career prior to 2012. But for Bowers, it was a career-high -- but those numbers do look a little lackluster, don't they?

If we look a little deeper, though, we see that Bowers did significantly better than Suggs. The Baltimore Raven had 2 sacks on 407 snaps last season, playing with a better defense than Da'Quan Bowers. But the latter had three sacks on just 291 snaps. That works out to one sack every 204 snaps for Suggs, but one every 97 snaps for Bowers. Obviously we're talking about small sample sizes here, but it's still interesting to note that Bowers was more productive than a perennial Pro Bowler returning from the same injury.

Bowers' 3 sacks on 291 snaps is pretty impressive, especially given the fact the fact that he was noticeably hindered by his Achilles throughout the season. Had he been healthy for the entire season it's likely that he would have come close to the number of snaps Michael Bennett took, which was 956. Pro-rated to a full workload, Bowers' 3 sacks project to 10 sacks -- and that's while still recovering from an Achilles injury. Of course, there's a lot more to pass rushing than just getting sacks.

That's a lot of speculation and iffy conjecture based on a small sample size, but it does show that Bowers' low sack total in 2012 isn't necessarily a problem going forward. The Bucs have placed their faith in the defensive end, and this is the year he gets to pay that off. Like Gerald McCoy, he struggled with injuries for two seasons. McCoy became a Pro Bowler in his third year. Can Bowers make the same jump in 2013?

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/6/30/4478056/buccaneers-rightly-believe-daquan-bowers-is-ready-to-break-out

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 01, 2013, 02:04:17 AM

Suggs?

...man, I'm just hoping the guy comes out and plays a full season at an average level.

If we could make a dollar for every injury prone guy out there that had three sacks in a season, we would be rich. Although bowers has the background to do great things at this level, he also has to get over his own limitations and earn himself some experiance before we can crown him "Sir Suggs." Just because his metaphysical experiances have been somewhat symetrical, it doesn't exactly mean the outcome will be the same.

I hope like hell it is, but let's just see a full season out of him first.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 01, 2013, 10:00:36 AM

I think Bowers will do better than most believe. The title is a little misleading though. To say Bowers is at the level of a Terrell Suggs right now is silly, the guy has multiple pro bowls under his belt.

Bowers knee hasn't been an issue wit him, which is why teams wouldn't draft him, and this achilles injury is a freak injury so I'm not to worried about that either. I look forward to seeing him full time this year.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 01, 2013, 10:20:29 AM

This article sucks.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 01, 2013, 11:13:34 AM

Pretty stupid premise for an article because we don't want Bowers to be as good as a hobbled Terrell Suggs; we want him to be as good as a healthy, in his prime Terrell Suggs.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#5 : July 01, 2013, 11:54:26 AM

I loled.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 01, 2013, 03:20:44 PM

"Bowers' 2012 production at least suggests that could be the case"

...stopped reading after than. Bowers' production in 2012 was average. Nothing more.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#7 : July 01, 2013, 03:28:52 PM

Lol.

Could happen though, **CENSORED**ty article however.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#8 : July 01, 2013, 03:32:05 PM

"Bowers' 2012 production at least suggests that could be the case"

...stopped reading after than. Bowers' production in 2012 was average. Nothing more.

The last paragraph basically says that suggesting Bowers is better is based on almost nothing, so if you read the whole thing at least it explains how off it is to suggest Bowers is better.

Bradspace

Pro Bowler

#9 : July 01, 2013, 03:43:48 PM

Is Bowers better than Reggie White?  That may seem offputting at first but if we look a little deeper we see that Bowers had 3 more sacks last season than 8 years deceased Reggie White.  That's a lot of conjecture from limited snaps but if you prorate Reggie's 0 sacks on 0 snaps out to Bowers' 291 snaps you'll see that zombie Reggie White would only have 0 sacks on 291 snaps, 3 fewer than Daquan Bowers.  You decide.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 01, 2013, 03:50:51 PM

Is Bowers better than Reggie White?  That may seem offputting at first but if we look a little deeper we see that Bowers had 3 more sacks last season than 8 years deceased Reggie White.  That's a lot of conjecture from limited snaps but if you prorate Reggie's 0 sacks on 0 snaps out to Bowers' 291 snaps you'll see that zombie Reggie White would only have 0 sacks on 291 snaps, 3 fewer than Daquan Bowers.  You decide.

LOL. I bet Gametime is pissed...you just essentially took the premise of his next post.   ;D

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#11 : July 01, 2013, 04:24:43 PM

Nah,I'm excited to see our def line this season.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

PewterBlitz

Starter

#12 : July 01, 2013, 04:39:46 PM

Damn, watching the clip of that 3 man rush brought back some terrifying memories.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#13 : July 01, 2013, 04:44:01 PM

"That's a lot of speculation and iffy conjecture based on a small sample size"

The most reliable statement in the entire article.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 01, 2013, 08:14:54 PM

Well, the coaching staff sure as hell believe in Bowers.  They let Bennett walk, and they appeared to be not interested in drafting a pass rusher in the early rounds of the draft.

So I hope their faith in him, turns out to be a great move 

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bowers better than Terrell Suggs? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools