Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would you have preferred this? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

« #15 : June 30, 2013, 01:55:31 PM »

But did we just make the DL our new biggest weakness in the process and tie up a huge amount of cap space on one player?  And did we use three draft picks trying to replace the two DLmen  that we didnt resign and most likely didnt even upgrade the positions in the process?

Dom is holding hope that Clayborn and Bowers can stay healthy and produce. While I don't necessarily agree with Dom addressing the d-line so little this off-season, he obviously has faith in Clayborn and Bowers staying healthy. If these guys can stay healthy, we can have a very good pass rush, if they live up to their potential. I wish we would have signed another pass rushing DE such as Abraham, or just brought back Bennett, but Dom is willing to take the risk on Bowers and Clayborn. Can't really say I blame him either, considering he was the one that drafted both of them.

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #16 : June 30, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »

But did we just make the DL our new biggest weakness in the process and tie up a huge amount of cap space on one player?  And did we use three draft picks trying to replace the two DLmen  that we didnt resign and most likely didnt even upgrade the positions in the process?
Our DLine is not a big weakness.. It's jus full of potential more production. If we drafted Star or Floyd we still wouldn't know what we have... Just more potential.

But what we do have is the best corner in the game, a top 3 FS, a promising rookie, a veteran CB, and good young depth guys that played alot last year and that's all in our secondary... In a passing league.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #17 : June 30, 2013, 02:11:50 PM »

You can't make huge improvements in every area. It just doesn't work that way. However I think we were able to upgrade as much as possible. Could we have done better? Probably anybody could, but it's not as easy as saying get this guy and that guy. Guys gotta fit into what your doing, then there's financials and what it costs to get it done, and that's only the beginning of it. I love as fans we get to sit here and speculate and debate what we should and should not do. It's why we come to these boards but we don't know what works or doesn't. Pure speculation. But it's fun.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #18 : June 30, 2013, 03:57:23 PM »

How often does a player of Revis caliber go on the market.  Damn near never.  Thanks Jets for being a train wreck of an organization.

So they basically traded Revis for Sheldon Richardson?  No offense to the guy, he may turn out to be a fine player. But he will never be a player of Revis caliber.

I don't know how anyone could criticize the Revis trade. Even the contract is team favorable.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #19 : June 30, 2013, 08:28:56 PM »

Either scenario wouldn't be bad but I'll take the way it worked out.

freddy

Hall of Famer

« #20 : June 30, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »

S&B, just curious why do you praise the positive potential of the players you like, but only mention the negative of those you do not?  If you want to give them both the positive, then McCoy and Spence with the best CB in the league is better than the best DT tandem in the league, especially with no true #1 corner.. So in that case, no I would not opt for this plan of yours. Both negative, I'd still rather have a 50% Revis than McCoy, a bust and no true #1 corner. The only way your idea wins, IMHO is if everything goes perfect for Star and company and Revis is injured and never plays football again.

Depth is a nice thing to have but so is a little positivity.

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

« #21 : June 30, 2013, 08:44:02 PM »

Even the contract is team favorable.

I wasn't a fan of the trade beforehand but, considering what the team gave up and what it took to sign him, it really was as team-friendly as can be.

Now the key questions are..... when will Revis be able to return and how close will his play be to his potential?

Turn the page.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

« #22 : June 30, 2013, 09:17:20 PM »

Not to mention the two 4th round picks used on DLmen could have then been used elsewhere.  I know most of you will refuse to consider this option because you never question the moves this team makes but there were other options to improve this team and I think this is a reasonable scenario that might of had a bigger impact.

Makes me wonder why you want to do the same next year with our QB.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

« #23 : June 30, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »

Our DLine is not a big weakness.. It's jus full of potential more production. If we drafted Star or Floyd we still wouldn't know what we have... Just more potential.

But what we do have is the best corner in the game, a top 3 FS, a promising rookie, a veteran CB, and good young depth guys that played alot last year and that's all in our secondary... In a passing league.

We could still have kept Bennent and that DT whos name i already forgot, but decided to move on from. Considering neither guy was a worldbeater and their position, its a gamble for sure, but i would call it just small gamble with 'little' risk. At one point you have to use your draft picks and not fill every hole with 'mediocre' vets instead of.

But without a doubt, DL could be our big achilles' heel this season, no one should be suprised by it ruining 2013. But atleast we have young and promising players there.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #24 : June 30, 2013, 11:19:14 PM »

Hell naw!  Straight tripping' on eight ball.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
« #25 : June 30, 2013, 11:55:02 PM »

Surely we're not comparing  Cox, Cason, or Lewis to Darrelle Revis. If Revis is 75%, he's still 50% better than any of those guys.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #26 : July 01, 2013, 02:23:43 AM »

No.

The outcome would sill be good, but I think what really happened was better.

Plus, Star worries me. Even though he was cleared, there are still some things that bother me about it.

Gaines (RIP) passed all types of exams beforehand and no one ever knew about it until it happened. That being said, tech has developed rapidly and they can now see more than ever before. IF Star has a similar problem, would they let it go? Would doctors take some $ and mums the word? Would docs take the chance that he doesn't keel over based on other athletic conditions, other athletes conditions, or how many actually have the same condition that the average Joe doesn't hear about but lives well?

Bennett was injured anyway and was slightly overrated. Miller was terrible, but mysteriously overrated in tampa. Both players wanted the glazers to back up the brinks truck for average/slightly above play, so they both became expendable the minute that happed and I'm glad it did. It allowed Tampa to shore up the defense with one of the most deadly corners in the game, gave room for re-signs like freeman/Doug/mw, and allowed the talented younger guys to have chance to play. All while remaining competitive if they can muster it.

I love what they did this offseason, minus missing out on faxface Dumervil.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #27 : July 01, 2013, 02:56:04 PM »

Nope

“There is going to be a Buccaneer way and they’re going to be Buccaneer men.’’
“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #28 : July 01, 2013, 03:57:26 PM »

Bucs signing a FA CB like Cox, Cason, or Lewis instead of trading for Revis, resign Bennett, , drafting Star Lotulelei or Sharrif Floyd in the first, Banks in the 2nd, and another CB in the 3rd or 4th round?  Goldson would still be signed as well.
An average cb and a runstopper instead of the best cb in the game? Is this a joke?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

« #29 : July 01, 2013, 04:04:17 PM »

We'll only know the answer is a couple of years time.
But, a healthy Revis gives the Bucs the best chance in the short term. The argument is the best in a decade CB gives your DL that extra half second to disrupt the play.
Not enamored with the corners you suggested, but losing out on Star is certainly worth pondering. Conversely, say Spence plays up to a second round grade because of his fit here, and maybe Star is good, but not great, say worth a 2nd rounder? We just can't say now.
Point is, we've come to the time to trust our scouts, coaches and coordinators and get behind this team.
« : July 01, 2013, 04:07:39 PM Rat »
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would you have preferred this? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools