Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would you have preferred this? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#30 : July 01, 2013, 04:33:32 PM

While I'm one of the few posters on here who acknowledges the potential downside to the Revis trade, I don't like any alternate scenario which leaves me with garbage at the CB position after this draft and that's what your hypothetical looks like to me. If I'm going to discuss an alternate solution to trading for Revis, my solution is going back in time and drafting Morris Claiborne or Stefan Gilmore or at worst trading down this year, grabbing Desmond Trufant, and some extra picks.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#31 : July 01, 2013, 04:42:09 PM

To the OP. Nope. The alternative to what we ended up doing has us wasting a 1st rounder on a player who will primarily be a NT. Nope.

But did we just make the DL our new biggest weakness in the process and tie up a huge amount of cap space on one player?  And did we use three draft picks trying to replace the two DLmen  that we didnt resign and most likely didnt even upgrade the positions in the process?
Our DLine is not a big weakness.. It's jus full of potential more production. If we drafted Star or Floyd we still wouldn't know what we have... Just more potential.

But what we do have is the best corner in the game, a top 3 FS, a promising rookie, a veteran CB, and good young depth guys that played alot last year and that's all in our secondary... In a passing league.

Sorry, but DL is the weakest area of the team and is definitely a concern. Every position is full of potential on every team. The Bucs are not unique in that regard when it comes to DL potential...what they are unique in is the lack of pressure that has been generated over the last 5 years. Pathetic. I don't see it getting much better.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#32 : July 01, 2013, 04:44:44 PM

While I'm one of the few posters on here who acknowledges the potential downside to the Revis trade, I don't like any alternate scenario which leaves me with garbage at the CB position after this draft and that's what your hypothetical looks like to me. If I'm going to discuss an alternate solution to trading for Revis, my solution is going back in time and drafting Morris Claiborne or Stefan Gilmore or at worst trading down this year, grabbing Desmond Trufant, and some extra picks.
fair enough. It isn't ideal but either is the DL or the lack of depth on this team or having do much of the cap tied up with one player. 

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#33 : July 01, 2013, 04:57:39 PM

I would have rather not traded for Revis. I am excited for his leadership and skill and hope he dominates.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#34 : July 01, 2013, 05:10:05 PM

To the OP. Nope. The alternative to what we ended up doing has us wasting a 1st rounder on a player who will primarily be a NT. Nope.

But did we just make the DL our new biggest weakness in the process and tie up a huge amount of cap space on one player?  And did we use three draft picks trying to replace the two DLmen  that we didnt resign and most likely didnt even upgrade the positions in the process?
Our DLine is not a big weakness.. It's jus full of potential more production. If we drafted Star or Floyd we still wouldn't know what we have... Just more potential.

But what we do have is the best corner in the game, a top 3 FS, a promising rookie, a veteran CB, and good young depth guys that played alot last year and that's all in our secondary... In a passing league.

Sorry, but DL is the weakest area of the team and is definitely a concern. Every position is full of potential on every team. The Bucs are not unique in that regard when it comes to DL potential...what they are unique in is the lack of pressure that has been generated over the last 5 years. Pathetic. I don't see it getting much better.
I'll wait till I see this whole group play together before I crown them pathetic. McCoy is a beast, Clayborn had 7.5 sacks as rookie going up against LTs  and playing with pure trash next to him and Bowers is finally healthy and should have a pretty good year. The bucs saw enough from Bowers to let Bennett walk and it was not about cash so maybe they know what they have there. Im not calling them juggernauts but i wont say they suck yet either... I'll just wait.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#35 : July 01, 2013, 06:02:30 PM

I wouldn't say the group is pathetic...I would say that the performance we have seen from our DL in terms of pass rush over that past few years has been pathetic. I might improve, but I don't see it improving vastly. Who was lined up next to Clayborn in 2011 is irrelevant. Interior OLmen rarely ever aid tackles in pass pro. There is noevodence that Bowers is set up to have a good year. Just hope. Him at one time being touted as a top pick overall is irrelevant. He slipped in the draft for a reason, and so far NFL GMs have been proven right about him. I hope he does well this year, but just because he did well in college doesn't automatically make him an NFL stud. How many top flight prospects gave looked like studs in college, but turned out to be just a guy in the NFL? Hundreds? Thousands?

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Chris_BucFan60

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler

#36 : July 01, 2013, 06:18:03 PM

Nope.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#37 : July 01, 2013, 06:23:21 PM

Our defensive scheme dictates that we need great corners. We used to have a defense that we could plug guys into without a hitch. That's not the case anymore.

Maybe Dominik wanted to sign Cox or some other corner. Maybe none of them wanted to come here.

Maybe we are severely limited in the free agents we can get to even come visit. Maybe Bennett didn't want to play here. Maybe Dominik is handcuffed right now. He finally has all this money to spend and the only way he can get any decent cb to step in the building is to pay him $16 mil per year and TRADE for him.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#38 : July 01, 2013, 06:49:12 PM

Our defensive scheme dictates that we need great corners. We used to have a defense that we could plug guys into without a hitch. That's not the case anymore.

Maybe Dominik wanted to sign Cox or some other corner. Maybe none of them wanted to come here.

Maybe we are severely limited in the free agents we can get to even come visit. Maybe Bennett didn't want to play here. Maybe Dominik is handcuffed right now. He finally has all this money to spend and the only way he can get any decent cb to step in the building is to pay him $16 mil per year and TRADE for him.
theres a lot of crapola in this post.  who were the guys we just plugged in without a hitch?  and doesnt every defensive scheme need great CB's?

didnt we sign about 7 FA's?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would you have preferred this? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools