Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers plan to play Mark Barron closer to the line « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : July 02, 2013, 12:00:42 AM »

Buccaneers plan to play Mark Barron closer to the line

By James Dator

on Jul 1 2013, 6:47p

Matt Stamey-US PRESSWIRE
Forced to play out of position in 2012, Barron looks to take steps forward as he plays closer to the line of scrimmage.

Mark Barron's forte was never pass coverage, but out of necessity he played almost exclusively in that role during his rookie season. With a year under his belt, and Ronde Barber retired, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are looking to give him more opportunities to succeed.

According to the Tampa Bay Times, Barron's sophomore season will be tooled to better suit his abilities. This involves having him play a role more similar to Barber's last year -- up at the line of scrimmage. Barber played there in an effort to extend the aging veteran's ability in a role that limited his need for speed and agility.

The down-side of this switch was Barron hitting the rookie wall, and struggling in coverage -- particularly late in the season. At 6'2 and 213 pounds, he has the ideal size to play up at the line in run support, and the addition of Dashon Goldson at free safety will help achieve that goal.

Barron finished with an impressive 71 solo tackles last year, but managed just one interception.

www.sbnation.com

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : July 02, 2013, 12:16:35 AM »

If they drop back a DE and run revis I'm going to be pissed.

Since the goldson signing many of us knew this was going to be part of it.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
« #2 : July 02, 2013, 06:10:55 AM »

I think we have a ton of three safety looks this year with Goldson and Tandy/Black playing deep, and Barron closer to the line

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #3 : July 02, 2013, 08:39:45 AM »

Mark Barron's forte was never pass coverage

That's not what they said when he was drafted.

Mark Barron: The new 'Buccaneer Man'

Before he was even asked a question about his first pick as coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Greg Schiano was painting a portrait that probably still is invisible to most Tampa Bay fans.

Schiano had just stunned his fan base -- and probably the rest of the world -- by taking Alabama safety Mark Barron at No. 7. A safety at No. 7? This guy had better be the second coming of Ronnie Lott and Ed Reed put together or, at very least, John Lynch Jr. You don’t take a safety at No. 7, and say you gladly would have taken him at No. 5, unless you think he’s special. Schiano and general manager Mark Dominik definitely thought Barron was special.

“I think he fits into what we do defensively perfectly,’’ Schiano said. “You couldn’t draw it up any better.’’

That probably doesn’t excite you, especially if you wanted the Bucs to stay put at No. 5 and draft LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne. And I know there was a contingent of Tampa Bay fans who thought Boston College linebacker Luke Kuechly would be a perfect fit after the Bucs traded out of No. 5 and Claiborne went to Dallas at No. 6.

Either of those would have fit the profile of what we’ve come to expect from the Buccaneers, stretching back to Tony Dungy, running through the Jon Gruden era (with Monte Kiffin as the bridge) and right through the ugly final days of Raheem Morris.

But here’s the thing: Those days are over. This is Schiano’s team now.

Unless you’re a die-hard Rutgers fan, you don’t have any clue what a Schiano team looks like. Even if all your Knights are scarlet, you might see some changes as Schiano adjusts to the NFL. He’s not about to publicly share his X's and O's, but he certainly has implied this team is going to look a lot different in a lot of ways. Believe it or not, that might start at safety because Barron is going to be tied to Schiano forever, for better or worse.

“I think our safeties have to be more dynamic than in most schemes,’’ Schiano said.

At 6-foot-1 and 213 pounds, Barron is big enough to play in the box and make an impact on a run defense that needs improvement. With 12 career interceptions, Barron also has shown the ability to make plays in coverage.

“He needs to be able to do a lot of things, and he is capable of them,’’ Schiano said.

He’s going to have to cover wide receivers man to man, Schiano said. That’s a change from the days of Kiffin’s Cover 2, when safeties picked up wide receivers only after they got past the cornerbacks and Lynch often played the role of a linebacker. That may not be enough in an NFC South in which Drew Brees has thrown for 5,000 yards in a season and Cam Newton and Matt Ryan can put up big numbers. In case you haven’t noticed, that’s not just an NFC South trend. All around the league, teams are throwing the heck out of the ball.

“Safety has become an extremely important position now,’’ Dominik said.

More important than cornerback? Where the Bucs have Eric Wright, an aging Ronde Barber and a question mark in Aqib Talib?

Obviously, the Bucs think so. Dominik said the Bucs would have chosen Barron at No. 5 if they had stayed put. That means they would have chosen him over Claiborne, who was widely considered the best cornerback in this draft.

That’s a pretty strong statement from a team that has chosen only two defensive backs in the first round in its history and both of those were cornerbacks. There’s even a bit more pure football logic about this pick.

The Bucs had a big need at safety after releasing Tanard Jackson. They were left with Cody Grimm, a possible move to safety by Barber and not much else. Barron fills that need.

But I don’t think this pick was completely about X's and O's and pure football ability.

I think the selection of Barron was another sign that Schiano is going to do things much differently than in the past. Something obviously cooled the Bucs on Claiborne. Maybe it was that he reportedly had a low Wonderlic score or maybe it was something else.

Schiano said he and Dominik saw sparks the first time they watched film of Barron. By the time they interviewed him at the combine, there was a flame. As they talked about Barron, Schiano and Dominik both mentioned that he was a two-time captain for a team that won two national championships during his stint.

“He fits who we are and what we are,’’ Schiano said.

I get the impression Schiano cares a lot about what guys bring as players, but I’m getting an even stronger sense he cares about what they bring as people and how that can translate into winning. That’s sort of a new concept around here, at least since the Dungy days.

“He fits who we are and what we are,’’ Schiano said.

In other words, the Bucs think Barron can step right in and be a leader on a team that desperately lacked leadership and personality in the Morris days.

“Our coaches are excited to get their hands on him and mold him into a Buccaneer Man,’’ Dominik said.

We’ve heard the phrase “Buccaneer Man’’ a lot since Schiano took over. The problem is we have no idea what the new Buccaneer Man is supposed to be. But now we’re starting to get a bit of a portrait.

With Barron, there’s a face and maybe an outline of a body and a personality. Looks a little like a good athlete, a natural leader and a guy who was asking if there was a way to get his hands on a playbook Thursday night, even though he’s scheduled to fly to Tampa first thing Friday morning.

Maybe the Barron pick doesn’t look so bad -- or blank -- after all.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/34369/mark-barron-the-new-buccaneer-man

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

« #4 : July 02, 2013, 09:17:46 AM »

I think we have a ton of three safety looks this year with Goldson and Tandy/Black playing deep, and Barron closer to the line
Honest question. If you put a run stuffing SS up to the line, then why give up the supposedly better coverage a CB provides in favor of a third safety?

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
« #5 : July 02, 2013, 09:24:44 AM »

Disagree on Barron not being strong in coverage. Yes, Brees and Manning made him look horrible and other QBs did take advantage at time, but he was a rookie in a very shaky overall secondary. He did make some great plays in coverage through the year too. Is he going to cover like Goldson any time soon? Probably not. Is he light years better than Roman Harper in coverage already? Hels Yeah.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #6 : July 02, 2013, 09:26:33 AM »

Is he light years better than Roman Harper in coverage already? Hels Yeah.
Great, he's better than a guy whose team just used a 1st round pick to replace him.
« : July 02, 2013, 09:32:25 AM Feel Real Good »

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #7 : July 02, 2013, 04:03:50 PM »

Mark Barron's forte was never pass coverage

That's not what they said when he was drafted.

Nope it wasn't.

What he was suppose to be was a guy who was very strong against the run and could cover. I understood it that he was suppose to be a guy who could cover a TE man to man. I'm not sure he'll ever be a guy who will win against a quick slot receiver. Let's not think that he has hit his ceiling already, clearly that would silly to think. I thought he did a much better job against Tony G. last game of the year than he had done all year. Guess we'll see.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #8 : July 02, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »

TONY G WASNT TRYING!

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

All Eyez on Me

Starter

« #9 : July 03, 2013, 09:26:32 AM »

Why? The Bucs were at there best when they played vs the run. I get that Barron had something to do with that at times, but our secondary was terrible. We need Barron back in coverage. Or does this tell us that the Bucs plan to improve the pass rush by blitzing more? I think it might be the latter.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #10 : July 03, 2013, 09:33:33 AM »

Good thing we spend our top ten pick, our reward for losing 10 straight games, on a DB that can't cover well.  Being number 1 against the run is so 1995.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #11 : July 03, 2013, 10:35:42 AM »

TONY G WASNT TRYING!

Future HOFer, best TE ever, just didn't feel like trying that hard that day. LOL at you for thinking that.

- Everyone

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #12 : July 03, 2013, 10:36:59 AM »

Good thing we spend our top ten pick, our reward for losing 10 straight games, on a DB that can't cover well.  Being number 1 against the run is so 1995.

Didn't do well against the pass last year, okay we all get it. Don't be foolish and think he's hit his ceiling after one year. Come on bro!

- Everyone

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #13 : July 03, 2013, 10:37:03 AM »

TONY G WASNT TRYING!

Future HOFer, best TE ever, just didn't feel like trying that hard that day. LOL at you for thinking that.
I think he was being sarcastic for the Barron haters.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #14 : July 03, 2013, 10:39:05 AM »

TONY G WASNT TRYING!

I think he was being sarcastic for the Barron haters.
its been verified on this board, the only falcon trying that day was mike smith.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers plan to play Mark Barron closer to the line « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools