Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers plan to play Mark Barron closer to the line « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#45 : July 03, 2013, 04:54:58 PM

Yes, I'm sure Barron is the lone representative who is good among a bunch of players most fans would recognize as bad or average. He just got really unlucky and failed by his coaches and teammates. It's also a huge coincidence a bunch of players most would consider to be good didn't give up a lot of first downs and touchdowns.
no you are right.  barron is bad to average.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

vicious00cycle

Starter
#46 : July 03, 2013, 09:45:22 PM

Tampa Bay isn't going to suddenly flip a switch and have talented superstars all over the roster in one year, regardless of any players draft position. Even the overnight success of San Francisco took a few underwhelming seasons to get it all put together at the right time, a perfect storm of talent that had developed, right coaching staff, and professional attitude. Barron will be fine, whatever the coaches do with him. Heaven forbid the guy struggled his rookie year, with poor coaching and a cast of undesirables surrounding him....

\"He doesn\'t want a people to rule so much as he wants puppets to entertain his madness.\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#47 : July 03, 2013, 09:53:58 PM

At least we are finally at the point where most people are no longer denying that he struggled.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#48 : July 04, 2013, 08:17:39 AM

I don't care what his role will be....he needs to be an impact player. He started off that way and then faded into obscurity.  A player picked in the top ten has to make an impact because average  isn't good enough.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#49 : July 04, 2013, 11:16:30 AM

At least we are finally at the point where most people are no longer denying that he struggled.
Most rookies do.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#50 : July 04, 2013, 11:25:25 AM

Chace, I don't think *most* people thought he played well, I do think *most* people did think he struggled. The few times that I did defend Barron was when a few posters wanted to put the 'bust' label on the guy after one season. He had some good games, and good moments and some flashes that indicated that he will eventually turn into a solid if not exceptional player, but yes, he did struggle last season, sometimes mightily.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#51 : July 04, 2013, 03:33:57 PM

I don't care what his role will be....he needs to be an impact player. He started off that way and then faded into obscurity.  A player picked in the top ten has to make an impact because average  isn't good enough.

I think a couple of those flags had an effect on him.  Like the RG III one.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#52 : July 04, 2013, 03:52:15 PM

I think a couple of those flags had an effect on him.  Like the RG III one.

I could see that affecting him wanting to go for a big hit on a WR and him pulling up to not get a defenseless receiver penalty....but I don't see how that could affect other aspects of his play, like missing tackles or poor man to man coverage.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#53 : July 04, 2013, 04:44:05 PM

Hoping for a big year put of him. With Goldson and Revis back there it should help him out a bit. Last year he was playing with an old Ronde who had never played the position before and a bunch of scrubs at corner. Lets see how he does in his second season after learning from his mistakes and next to a couple of pro bowlers. I think he bounces back.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#54 : July 04, 2013, 06:40:14 PM

I don't really think playing him close to the LOS is going to help him.

If his man cover skills are in question it would make more sense to play him deep.

Put someone on the LOS that can actually cover the TE.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#55 : July 05, 2013, 12:18:33 AM

Hoping for a big year put of him. With Goldson and Revis back there it should help him out a bit. Last year he was playing with an old Ronde who had never played the position before and a bunch of scrubs at corner. Lets see how he does in his second season after learning from his mistakes and next to a couple of pro bowlers. I think he bounces back.
Forgive my rudeness for throwing the anemic pass rush and awful coaching in there too.
The sky is not falling just because a rookie struggled in a bad defense. Actually, I'm very optimistic about the year he should have.

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
#56 : July 05, 2013, 04:02:40 AM

I think we have a ton of three safety looks this year with Goldson and Tandy/Black playing deep, and Barron closer to the line
Honest question. If you put a run stuffing SS up to the line, then why give up the supposedly better coverage a CB provides in favor of a third safety?

Because the corner does not provide the same run support. Conceptually it would be a large nickel package where the extra safety replaces the Sam linebacker.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#57 : July 05, 2013, 05:03:00 AM

Whether it would have been Barron starting at SS, or if we had not drafted him and had been starting Ahmad Black there.....the Bucs would have still been #1 against the run in 2012. The front 7 were superb in their run stopping ability. The DBs were essentially inconsequential to the ranking against the run. They were there for clean up duty. The front four did an excellent job of clogging the running lanes and occupying all 5(sometimes 6) run blockers. This allowed Foster and David to get to the ball carrier almost immediately. If the front 7 play like they did last year against the run, we won't need more than 7 guys in the box. It's a passing league. On most plays, both safeties are going to be 12-15+ yards off of the LOS. Keeping Barron in the box most of the time is unrealistic. Grimm makes a good point. Barron struggles in m2m, so the last thing you want to do is move him closer to the LOS where he will be isolated on a particular man in close proximity. He may get to a point in a few year where he can cover almost as good as an average CB in these situations, but the best bet for the time being is to play Barron well off the LOS and let him roam in ZC. With Revis and Goldson back there, Barron should have a smaller role in ZC and should excel. Yes, is Barron good in run support, but just because he is proficient in that area, that doesn't mean you force him into a run supporting role when it is not necessarily needed.
: July 09, 2013, 04:48:38 PM chace1986

Havok904

Starter

#58 : July 05, 2013, 08:57:18 AM

This makes a ton of sense. Barron was primarily a in the box defender at Alabama. Ronde last year played that roll as Safety because he was to much of a liability in Coverage. That why he was moved to Safety because he couldn't play CB adequately.

This should be a breakout season for Barron seeing as he will be playering a position he is more suited for.
So we used a top 10 pick on a DB to stop the run.

yes....of the two safetes, thats primarily what a Strong Safety does...play run support

: July 05, 2013, 11:01:06 AM Havok904

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#59 : July 05, 2013, 11:14:08 AM

This makes a ton of sense. Barron was primarily a in the box defender at Alabama. Ronde last year played that roll as Safety because he was to much of a liability in Coverage. That why he was moved to Safety because he couldn't play CB adequately.

This should be a breakout season for Barron seeing as he will be playering a position he is more suited for.
So we used a top 10 pick on a DB to stop the run.

yes....of the two safetes, thats primarily what a Strong Safety does...play run support
In the grand scheme of things, a safety who is good at stopping the run is a pretty easily attainable commodity. It's like finding a good run blocking offensive tackle. Those guys are a dime a dozen. You're supposed to use your premium picks on players who have multiple skills, i.e. safeties who can play the pass at a high level as well as stop the run. It's a passing league. You can get Jermaine Phillips in the 5th round any year. When you use a top 10 pick on a safety, he needs to be more than Jermaine Phillips.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers plan to play Mark Barron closer to the line « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools