Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jeff Faine comments on the Bucs and Freeman. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 04, 2013, 12:00:24 AM

Jeff Faine says Buccaneers fell short, calls Josh Freeman a "true competitor"

By Sander Philipse

on Jul 3 2013, 12:34p

Kevin C. Cox

Jeff Faine talked about Josh Freeman and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' outlook this season.

Jeff Faine may not be a Buccaneer anymore, but he still has opinions on the team. In a pretty interesting interview with JP Peterson on 620 WDAE the center talked about all things Buccaneers, but especially Josh Freeman. Faine was Freeman's center for the first three years of the quarterback's career and saw him develop from a third-string quarterback as a rookie to the inconsistent starter he is today.

"He's a guy that's a true competitor," said Faine. "Very, very competitive. Wants to push his teammates, push himself, push everybody around in the organization to be better. I loved how I saw him mature the way he did. And obviously it wasn't a completely smooth ride, we had some trials and tribulations to deal with during that period. But he stayed the course and continued to work, continued to try and get better as a team, to try and educate himself on the game and become a better quarterback and become a better player and become a better leader."

As for the Bucs themselves, Faine believes they fell short of their goal in 2012, something that should be pretty obvious: a losing record after investing heavily in free agency and the draft simply wasn't what they wanted to do. But the outlook for 2013 is rosy, in Faine's eyes.

"I'm excited to see what he's going to do this year. I think that the Bucs have done a fantastic job of really assembling a great supporting cast around him, and that obviously includes the defensive side I think as well. So the pieces are there. The question there is he has to go out and do it, he has to go out and prove it and that's what the contract year is about. He's laying it all on the line."

"They fell short of what their standards were. A lot of people around the league thought that they may have achieved, but I guarantee you there's not one person in that locker room that believed they overachieved, they believe that they fell short."

Faine talked about Aaron Hernandez, Gerald McCoy ("He can be one of those guys that can become unblockable") and Adrian Clayborn ("he's going to run right over you"), Michael Bennett ("it was a big mistake letting Michael Bennett get out of there"), so make sure to listen to the whole interview.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/7/3/4490456/jeff-faine-josh-freeman-buccaneers-true-competitor

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 04, 2013, 12:23:53 AM

Encouraging, classy comments from a guy that I think a large portion of Bucs fans were happy to run off (and I think he was aware of it as well). Good to hear.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 04, 2013, 02:45:01 AM

Faine is an unbias source who dealt with freeman everyday. I'll take his word for it.

Its also worth more, knowing that he will still call them out (losing Bennett).

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : July 04, 2013, 07:53:04 AM

Has Faine ever said anything bad about a Buc?

It is almost as bad as listening to Gerald refer to everyone in the NFL as a beast...

nitey

Hall of Famer
#4 : July 04, 2013, 08:20:54 AM

It was a pretty good listen and I think Faine was always a good guy for the Bucs so I'm not surprised he's going to accentuate the positive.

Everyone here has already pretty much stated their opinion on Freeman, but it's still worthwhile to hear from someone that worked with him for several years to give some additional insight into his make up. I wasn't happy with Freeman's year last season, but I thought he did make some improvements over the 2011 debacle. I still think that coaching is going to make or break him at this stage.

The biggest problems I saw with Freeman last season was that when he brought the team to the line, he never looked comfortable or confident. I was really happy to hear that McNullty saw the same thing and already mentioned that was one of the things he was addressing with Josh. My feeling is that if you come to the line looking uncomfortable or not confident, that just feeds the defense. You need to show them that you are in control at all times and even if you aren't feeling comfortable about a particular play, you still need to approach the line looking like it's going to be a sure thing. The second thing about Freeman is something that Faine said, the guy is extremely competitive and when things seem to be getting out of control, he wants to take things on himself and try to do too much. This is another coaching area that I think Sullivan WILL address this season. There is absolutely no reason for back to back 4 INT games, Sullivan should have fixed that issue immediately after the first game. Also when it was clear that Freeman was off his game, it's the coaches job to get him back to a higher level of play. I write this up against the fact that Sullivan was a rookie OC last year.

Now, I'm not saying that Freeman is without fault, there are many plays or portions of plays where Freeman misfires or misses open receivers, holds on to the ball too long or releases when the receiver is double or tripled covered or attempts to pass when he should have ran. Freeman needs to work on those issues as well, but it's still the coaching staff that needs to watch diligently for signs of the quarterback starting to play outside his ability and get him reign him in.

While some have doubts that Freeman has Schiano's confidence, both Sullivan and NcNulty have been 100% behind Freeman this off season. Both of these coaches need Freeman to succeed more than Schiano needs Freeman to succeed. As Faine says, the talent, the drive, the competitiveness, the intelligence is there - if the coaches can manage it well enough, Freeman should have a good year.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#5 : July 04, 2013, 08:37:29 AM

What improvements exactly had Free made?

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 04, 2013, 08:44:19 AM

He can find the weight room at OBP without asking for directions now.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 04, 2013, 08:51:03 AM

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#8 : July 04, 2013, 08:55:21 AM

Yut. That about sums it up gentlemen.

I ask that question and rarely get a response. Why dat?

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#9 : July 04, 2013, 08:57:36 AM

He did not throw for franchise record numbers last year? Thats the definition of improvement.

Did he also/still have other issues? yes...  It took Eli multiple years to understand this offense...step by step

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#10 : July 04, 2013, 09:17:47 AM

Chucking the ball deep to a big stud WR is awesome.

But he has been able to do that since day 1. The quality of his WR went through the roof, so that accounts for a good deal. But that is not improvement. That is just mining more of the same with better equipment.

And the franchise numbers thing is nothing to gawk at after a playoff less (yet again), losing (yet again) season. And in comparison to most franchise records, they still pale. Color me unimpressed by the "improvement".

What has he done to IMPROVE?!

nitey

Hall of Famer
#11 : July 04, 2013, 09:29:38 AM

Boid you've really become a hater to not at least acknowledge that Freeman made some progress last season. Anyway here are the things I see as progress:
  • The team won 7 games over the 4 they won in 2011. It's fair to give Freeman some of the credit for the improvement.
  • He improved his TD/INT ration from 16/22 to 27/17 - a negative to a positive. Improvement.
  • His QBR improved from 74.6 to 81.6, an improvement.
  • He lost only 2 fumbles compared to 5 fumbles the year before.
  • Had 5 consecutive weeks where his QBR was over 100.

Is this an amazing list? Not really, but the fact that he reversed his TD/INT ratio from negative to positive is pretty huge IMO, coupled with the fumbles, Free had 8 less turnovers from 2011 and had the coaching staff been on the ball and eliminated that second 4 INT game like they should have, the numbers should have been better. He could have been better, the coaches should have been better - but improvement WAS there.

You can be blind to it and discount it - that's up to you.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#12 : July 04, 2013, 09:31:13 AM

Chucking the ball deep to a big stud WR is awesome.

But he has been able to do that since day 1. The quality of his WR went through the roof, so that accounts for a good deal. But that is not improvement. That is just mining more of the same with better equipment.

And the franchise numbers thing is nothing to gawk at after a playoff less (yet again), losing (yet again) season. And in comparison to most franchise records, they still pale. Color me unimpressed by the "improvement".

What has he done to IMPROVE?!

He threw deep more often, resulting in (also) more TD and more yards, thats what he did. You are allowed to be unimpressed by, seeing how this is not enough overall, but improvement there is. 
If improvement is meaningless, when it does not lead to the POs, then do not ask for improvement and ignore obvious improvement.

Some could say he learned a new play book last year, something he did not knowt before. Thats also improvement by him.

ufcguy32

Starter

#13 : July 04, 2013, 09:45:15 AM

i guess we should pull all the stud wide receivers off the field for all the nfl qb's....the true standard now is to find a group of kids playing street ball and put some pads on them and see who the best nfl qb is with the worst talent. gtfo with your nonsense comments about having good wide receivers. there's a lot of qb's that have play makers who make them look better on sunday as well as bail them out as you put it.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#14 : July 04, 2013, 09:49:19 AM

You are expounding on improved numbers, but that is really just rehashing what I said. He had better numbers as a result of better WRs. That fit his style nicely.

What about his poor mechanics?  His terrible mid range accuracy?  His inability to throw a shoulder feint, or freeze a safety?  Pocket climbing with more smoothness, and not throwing off his back foot when it is not needed?  What about his regression in scrambling?  His almost flat out refusal to run?

When he is bad, he is the worst if not on par with the worst, QB in the entire league.

And he has a losing record. QBs with bad defenses that are worth their weight can carry a team. Free cant. Because he isn't good enough. Can he improve?  Certainly. Hope he does.

But I think he is what he is.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jeff Faine comments on the Bucs and Freeman. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools