Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Buccaneers sent 120 defensive back blitzes for just 4 sacks « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 04, 2013, 12:00:37 AM

The Buccaneers sent 120 defensive back blitzes for just 4 sacks

By Sander Philipse

on Jul 3 2013, 11:35a

J. Meric
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers loved to blitz in 2012, but weren't very good at it.

According to ESPN Stats and Information, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers blitzed their defensive backs 120 times last season, landing just 4 sacks on those blitzes(h/t Stephen White). Only one other team sent its defensive backs on blitzes more often, as the Miami Dolphins managed an insane 124 defensive back blitzes. In case you weren't aware yet: the Bucs love to blitz.

Only two defensive backs actually notched sacks last season: Ronde Barber and E.J. Biggers. Incidentally, neither player is with the Bucs anymore.

Those 120 blitzes and 4 sacks stand in stark contrast with the Miami Dolphins, who managed 8 sacks on 124 blitzes, and the Green Bay Packers who had a whopping 14 sacks on 120 blitzes. The Bucs' ability to get to the quarterback was, simply, pitiful.

And here's the horrible thing: the Bucs didn't exactly have the players to execute those blitzes properly. Ronde Barber used to be a great blitzer, especially so when teams didn't yet account for him, but for the past few years he hasn't really made an impact in that area. Mark Barron can be a quality blitzer, but he was more often playing deep with Barber blitzing.

Meanwhile, players like Aqib Talib, Eric Wright, E.J. Biggers and Leonard Johnson simply don't have the ability to beat any pass blocker. They don't have the physicality or experience blitzing to do so. The only way you can be successful when you blitz a defensive back like that is by giving him a clear path to the quarterback.

But the Bucs couldn't do that. They simply could not create free rushers, as their blitzes were either picked up with pass blockers or circumvented with quick passes to the voids left by those very blitzes. Those failed blitzes caused several late-game collapses, and were one of the main culprits for a failed season.

If the Buccaneers want to be successful this season, they cannot make the same mistakes they made last year. Improving their secondary was step one. Now to improve their schemes.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/7/3/4490084/the-buccaneers-sent-120-defensive-back-blitzes-for-just-4-sacks

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 04, 2013, 03:08:49 AM

It's stats like this that make me think abandoning the t2 was bad.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 04, 2013, 07:05:11 AM

No worries. Just let Revis blitz all 120 times and he will get 120 sacks and we will be all good.

$16 million solves all your db woes.

Biggers had a huge sack on Ryan. Ronde gonna get his always. Now it is up to Revis and Banks to lock down the other teams top two guys and let LJ and Wright fight it out for nickel. We should be very solid back there. Banks is like the Mike Williams of db's. He won't win a track meet, but they have great game instincts. There is something in the way they use their bodies to their advantage.

I see Banks being an all rookie player potentially. He will be tested a ton because teams will gamelan for Revis covering their no.1. I expect to see him have a few INT and hopefully not be burned deep too much. Surely the scheme will allow for Goldson to cover his ass. But rookies always make mistakes. Between Revis, LJ, and Banks we have mad ball skills. Our corners need to cover and the front 7 must get to the QB.

Waiting on Mr.Dakota Watson to please stand up. Get Lavonte David to mentor you, not Quincy Black. Watson should be able to get 8 sacks. Better coverage means more time to get the QB. They should all benefit from having a really good secondary on paper.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : July 04, 2013, 07:48:03 AM

That shows the lack of talent this team has in the secondary. Or had.

A lot of those cats are just not good. Thankfully, Buggers is gone.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 04, 2013, 08:19:40 AM

I hate DB blitzes.  Bucs don't have Ronde Barber or Rod Woodson on the roster so this fetish needs to end fast (same with the 3 DL set ups).

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 04, 2013, 10:01:43 AM

Yep, I saw many a blitz last year that was EASILY picked up. When there's an uncommitted blocker in place, blitzing usually ain't gonna be successful. Ya gotta READ THE BLOCKING SCHEME FIRST, waiting 'til that blocker commits, usually to go double-team a rusher who's getting good penetration. Unfortunately, our D'line didn't get a whole lot of penetration last season...

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 04, 2013, 01:16:19 PM

I hate DB blitzes.  Bucs don't have Ronde Barber or Rod Woodson on the roster so this fetish needs to end fast (same with the 3 DL set ups).

Agree. Its not meant to be used that much. That averages out to be 7.5 DB blitzes a game.  I see it as more of a once in awhile, take them by surprise tool.  When its used right, the DB should have clear sailing all the way to the QB.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 04, 2013, 01:57:53 PM

I'd like to see the numbers on passes completed during the 116 blitzes that didn't end in sacks.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Havok904

Pro Bowler

#8 : July 05, 2013, 12:10:02 PM

It's Freeman's fault

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 05, 2013, 12:19:32 PM

The 3 man rush is probably my least favorite thing to see a defense do.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 05, 2013, 12:44:07 PM

This doesn't surprise me at all.  On a purely subjective level, it's seemed like the Bucs have been hideously ineffective with their blitzes for a while now.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#11 : July 05, 2013, 02:49:03 PM

Oh wow...a college defense got destroyed in the pros.  Crazy thought.  Weird. 

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 06, 2013, 07:15:41 AM

Schiano didn't get the memo. Your safeties and corners can't blow up the 225 pound TE'S anymore. They are 270 pounds now and can block. Same with the RB'S. They are good blockers.

Better have better game plans this year. Blitz Dakota Watson 120 times instead.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

seanbassak

Pro Bowler

#13 : July 06, 2013, 09:57:08 AM

I could have sworn I remember Barron lighting up RGIII.... was that a running play? I thought it was a sack...

Not living, just killing time.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 07, 2013, 06:44:13 AM

I'd like to see the numbers on passes completed during the 116 blitzes that didn't end in sacks.

It's the precursor to the worst pass defense in history.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Buccaneers sent 120 defensive back blitzes for just 4 sacks « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools