Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jaws QB Countdown for 2012 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

nitey

Hall of Famer
: July 04, 2013, 07:50:26 AM

Jaws ranks the starting QB's based upon past performance and his 2013 projected performance

Link: http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2013/07/2013-jaws-qb-countdown/
(The link has Jaws analysis of the quarterback and why he listed them where he did)

Already listed:

No. 32 Matt Flynn   
No. 31 Jake Locker   
No. 30 Kevin Kolb    
No. 29 Chad Henne
No. 28 Mark Sanchez   
No. 27 Christian Ponder   
No. 26 Brandon Weeden   
No. 25 Michael Vick

He will do 1 a day that will take us to the start of training camp. I'll add to the post as the new players are revealed.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#1 : July 04, 2013, 09:55:01 AM

Aftet that list, just off the top of my head I can see Freeman being ahead of Carson Palmer, Ryan Tannehill, Buffalo QB, maybe Alex Smith.

I think putting him in the low 20's, high teens is probably accurate. He may be a little higher on Jaws' list as I know Jaws has said a lot f positive things about him in the past, and Freeman has a number of weapons/contract year.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#2 : July 04, 2013, 10:26:56 AM

The only thing I'm willing to say at this point, is that I would rather have Freeman than any of the other quarterbacks on that list, at least the 2012 model. I'm hopeful that the 2013 model is further improved, but I'm not sure yet where I would place him in a QB ranking of all 32 teams. Jaws is a pretty good analyst IMO and he seems to think that Sully/McNulty will be a good combination for Freeman, but it will be this year that we need to see a pretty good jump in Freeman's consistency for this team to be everything it can be.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

ingey1968

Starter

#3 : July 04, 2013, 11:49:43 AM

Freeman is nowhere near as good as Alex smith. The guy has a 95 QB rating, 30 tds and 10 ints the past 2 seasons.  Freeman has more ints in the past two seasons then smith has in the past 4 combined.   and since some of you seem rather fond of freemans team records, Alex has a couple of them also and unlike Tampa, they have a couple hall of famers in the teams past..

49ers franchise records

Most game winning drives in a single season: 6 (2011)[66]
    Most 4th quarter comeback wins in a single season: 6 (2011)[66]
    Fewest interceptions in a single season: 5 in 2011 (16 starts) [66]
    Most consecutive pass attempts without an interception: 249 (previous record: 184, by Steve Young

Aftet that list, just off the top of my head I can see Freeman being ahead of Carson Palmer, Ryan Tannehill, Buffalo QB, maybe Alex Smith.

I think putting him in the low 20's, high teens is probably accurate. He may be a little higher on Jaws' list as I know Jaws has said a lot f positive things about him in the past, and Freeman has a number of weapons/contract year.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 04, 2013, 12:00:23 PM

Freeman is nowhere near as good as Alex smith. The guy has a 95 QB rating, 30 tds and 10 ints the past 2 seasons.  Freeman has more ints in the past two seasons then smith has in the past 4 combined.   and since some of you seem rather fond of freemans team records, Alex has a couple of them also and unlike Tampa, they have a couple hall of famers in the teams past..

49ers franchise records

Most consecutive pass attempts without an interception: 249 (previous record: 184, by Steve Young

Aftet that list, just off the top of my head I can see Freeman being ahead of Carson Palm

er, Ryan Tannehill, Buffalo QB, maybe Alex Smith.

Wow. Have you seen alex smith play? Dude was literally asked to be the dink and dunk game manager with a loaded team and play calling to protect him. He had a great d and a great running game to carry him. Smith is the perfect example of why numbers dont tell the whole truth. A team has to carry smith, smith cant carry a team.

If hes this great qb how come he was always on the hot seat even when he had a good year? His market wasnt that big when he was a Fa. The enyire nfl knows hes a marginal game manager but can protect the ball if you call plays specifically tailored to his skill set. Ask him to throw down field or win a game on his arm and hes back to the old crappy smith.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 04, 2013, 12:01:37 PM

Defense, run game and ball control got that teams Ws....and great coaching/play calling.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#6 : July 04, 2013, 12:15:13 PM

49ers franchise records

Aftet that list, just off the top of my head I can see Freeman being ahead of Carson Palm

er, Ryan Tannehill, Buffalo QB, maybe Alex Smith.

Wow. Have you seen alex smith play? Dude was literally asked to be the dink and dunk game manager with a loaded team and play calling to protect him. He had a great d and a great running game to carry him. Smith is the perfect example of why numbers dont tell the whole truth. A team has to carry smith, smith cant carry a team.

If hes this great qb how come he was always on the hot seat even when he had a good year? His market wasnt that big when he was a Fa. The enyire nfl knows hes a marginal game manager but can protect the ball if you call plays specifically tailored to his skill set. Ask him to throw down field or win a game on his arm and hes back to the old crappy smith.

Come now tatmanfish, you know in today's fantasy football league that it's all about numbers. No one actually WATCHES the games anymore.

Of course, you think that since Alex Smith has never thrown for more than 18 touchdowns and 3200 yds in a season that it would mean something....but hey, look at that completion percentage!  ::)

Lord Bortles

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 04, 2013, 03:08:00 PM

49ers franchise records

Troll harder. If you're gonna beat Morgy for replacing Java then you better put some effort in.

RD 1) QB B. Bortles/ T. Bridgewater/ J. Manziel
RD 2) WR Kelvin Benjamin/ A. Robinson/ D. Adams/ M. Lee/
RD 3) OG D. Dozier/ C. Richardson/
RD 5) WR D. Archer/ J. Huff/ M. Davis/ TJ Jones/ R Grant
RD 6) OLB P Shembo/ R. Powell/ - DE A. Lynch/ M Sam  RD 7) G B. Thomas (injured)

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#8 : July 04, 2013, 04:51:09 PM

just watched Jaws put free at 21.  the gamewinning great throw to vjax against the panthers?  i dont remember the down/distance so that definitely plays into it - but just from one angle it looks like the correct throw was to benn running the underneath crossing route (assuming down/distance wasnt a factor, cant remember).  they also showed an interception to lauranitis...which showed a wide open lorig right within freemans line of sight.  plenty of guys are always open...free just needs to find the right throws.

i know, nothing new.  but the idea that we dont have open WR's is asinine to me.

edit:  was a little confused...the throw to vjax was to put the game into OT...and there wasnt much time left on the clock.  he needed to make that throw at that time.  but biasedly, i bet he never saw benn streaking wide open underneath.
: July 04, 2013, 05:04:51 PM GameTime

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

WC-Bucs fan

Starter

#9 : July 04, 2013, 05:04:40 PM

Two facts were interesting to me. Free was 2nd to last in the league in passer rating when facing pressure, and we have the biggest starting WR's in the league.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#10 : July 04, 2013, 06:30:38 PM

just watched Jaws put free at 21.  the gamewinning great throw to vjax against the panthers?  i dont remember the down/distance so that definitely plays into it - but just from one angle it looks like the correct throw was to benn running the underneath crossing route (assuming down/distance wasnt a factor, cant remember).  they also showed an interception to lauranitis...which showed a wide open lorig right within freemans line of sight.  plenty of guys are always open...free just needs to find the right throws.

i know, nothing new.  but the idea that we dont have open WR's is asinine to me.

edit:  was a little confused...the throw to vjax was to put the game into OT...and there wasnt much time left on the clock.  he needed to make that throw at that time.  but biasedly, i bet he never saw benn streaking wide open underneath.

In his defense, i'm going to MY guy in that situation.

Having said that, he misses open WRs because he doesn't scan the field. When have you ever seen him look off a safety and come back to the other side of the field?

-------------------------------------------------------

Hate

Hall of Famer
#11 : July 04, 2013, 06:32:48 PM

where can i watch this??

-------------------------------------------------------

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 04, 2013, 06:57:22 PM

Ron Jaworski: Josh Freeman 'an enigma' on Buccaneers

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: July 4, 2013 at 04:05 p.m.
Updated: July 4, 2013 at 04:58 p.m.

When Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano was asked this week who will be his starting quarterback come September, Schiano left nothing to chance.

"We only have one," Schiano told NFL Network. "It's Josh Freeman."

Bucky Brooks says the Buccaneers are primed to contend for the NFC South title after revamping a woeful secondary. More ...

Schiano's gone out of his way to squelch speculation that Freeman might be replaced by rookie Mike Glennon, but that assumes the fifth-year pro passer avoids another wildly erratic campaign. ESPN's Ron Jaworski, cycling through his annual quarterback review, said he saw more questions than answers in Freeman's play, summing him up as "an enigma."

During a midseason stretch that saw the Buccaneers go 5-1 last season, "Freeman played with a swagger," Jaws said. "He was always willing to pull the trigger, attacking all levels of the defense. What I really love was the anticipation."

Then Freeman tumbled off a cliff. "He was erratic with his accuracy. He had many communication issues with his receivers," Jaws said.

Jaworski pointed out a disturbing figure: Only Mark Sanchez of the New York Jets had a lower passer rating when facing pressure. That's when we saw Freeman mightily struggle at reading coverages and making split-second decisions.

Case in point: This ugly interception against the St. Louis Rams in Week 16, in which Freeman was picked off by James Laurinaitis.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000216251/article/josh-freeman-is-an-enigma-says-ron-jaworski?campaign=Twitter_atl

"When you go play-action, you still have to locate your underneath defenders," Jaworski noted. "You can't assume they will not be a factor in coverage. ... Freeman threw this ball as if the linebacker wasn't even there. Freeman is an enigma. He has a lot of talent, but he should be a better quarterback after 56 NFL starts."

I have high hopes for this year's Bucs, but that's contingent on Freeman taking the next step. If he isn't a better passer by midseason, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tampa Bay explore what they have in Glennon, no matter what the team says today.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#13 : July 04, 2013, 08:19:34 PM

where can i watch this??
it should be running on NFLlive, NFL22, and sportscenters today and probably tomorrow.  im sure there are links somewhere.  its about a 2 minute video.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#14 : July 04, 2013, 11:44:10 PM

"He should be a better QB after 56 NFL starts"
Kinda says it all right there folks.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jaws QB Countdown for 2012 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools