Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is running NFL RedZone at games a good or bad idea ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #15 : July 04, 2013, 05:55:25 AM »

Its a huge cash cow now.
My thoughts on this are pretty much the same. Don't show during live play, but during TV timeouts and other downtime, sure.

Well, a football game lasts approx. 3 hours. The clock is only ticking 60 minutes of those 3 hours and during at least half of those 60 minutes, the players are standing around with their hands on their hips. So that leaves approx 2 1/2 hours of downtime during a game.
« : July 04, 2013, 08:50:40 AM CyberDilemma »

QaZ

Hall of Famer

« #16 : July 04, 2013, 08:47:26 AM »

Its a huge cash cow now.
My thoughts on this are pretty much the same. Don't show during live play, but during TV timeouts and other downtime, sure.

Well, a football game lasts approx. 3 hours. The clock is only ticking 60 minutes of those 3 hours and during at least half of those 60 minutes, the players are standing around with their hands on their hips. So that leaves approx 2 1/2 hours of downtime during a game.
[/quote]

Sure alot of time, but severly fragmented. How much do you really get out of the RedZone channel, when it blacks out during real play in the stadium, or lets say you just turn to head back to real action on the field, away from TV. How much of the real game are you going to miss out of, when you are glued to the TV? Stadiums do not really feature a rewind option.
I have severe doubt this adds anything to the stadium experience, luring people away from their TV at home.

Maybe make a 90sec highlight show of other games during TV breaks.  BTW my IPad already shows the RedZone channel in stadium, but other than halftime i never used this feature.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #17 : July 05, 2013, 05:22:11 PM »

At first blush, the possibility of using more than 16,000 square feet in video-board space for non-stop RedZone coverage at EverBank Field made a lot of sense.  As the NFL tries to make the in-stadium experience better than staying at home, the league needs to at least make it as good.

But there’s a potential problem.  If fans are watching what’s going on elsewhere, they inevitably will react to what’s going on elsewhere.  And that will make for sounds that don’t mesh with what’s happening on the field.

It will get particularly odd late in the season, if the Jaguars are in the hunt for a playoff berth and RedZone cuts to a game involving a team with which the Jags are jockeying for postseason positioning.  As all eyes go to the video board and away from the field, fans will respond to what they see on the screen, and not what’s happening in front of them.

Of course, that problem can easily be solved by turning off the RedZone coverage in those moments.  But if that happens, then it won’t truly by non-stop RedZone coverage.

Maybe, then, extensive but not continuous use of RedZone is the best way to go.  There will be moments when it makes no sense to distract fans from what’s happening on the field.

Of course, in some cities it will never make sense to distract the fans from what’s happening on the field.  Coincidentally, in those cities the stadium would fill up for every game even if the video boards showed a test pattern.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/05/continuous-redzone-could-make-for-awkward-crowd-noises/

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #18 : July 05, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »

I could be wrong, but I think there plan was to run RedZone the entire time. That is why it would have its own designated spot on the scoreboard.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
« #19 : July 05, 2013, 09:44:38 PM »

Every team should do it during TV timeouts and halfitme.

+1 NEVER during a game though. That is disrespectful to the players on the field, no matter which teams are playing.
« : July 05, 2013, 09:46:58 PM TampaBucks05 »

dlwoltmann

Second String

« #20 : July 07, 2013, 03:04:38 PM »

It would be one less excuse for the Fantasy Football geeks... I mean owners to not attend games.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #21 : July 07, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »

It would be one less excuse for the Fantasy Football geeks... I mean owners to not attend games.

this geek doesn't miss games!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is running NFL RedZone at games a good or bad idea ? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools