Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The stench in Gainesville at UF! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 22

Runole

Hall of Famer
« : July 07, 2013, 03:41:48 PM »

Jenkins, the cornerback, eventually left Florida for North Alabama after Meyer’s successor, Will Muschamp, dismissed him from the team after marijuana arrests. Several months later, Jenkins spoke to The Orlando Sentinel about his dismissal.

“If Coach Meyer were still coaching, I’d still be playing for the Gators,” he was quoted as saying. “Coach Meyer knows what it takes to win.”

Wonder if the UF media can silence the NY TImes?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/sports/ncaafootball/hernandez-among-many-arrested-at-florida-in-the-meyer-years.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

The sad part about the whole Hernandez issue is there is an endemic problem in the way UF deals with its lawbreaking football players.  When you have a Bull Gator booster SA Cervone and a DA Huntley Johnson that works pro bono to get practically every charge reduced or eliminated to keep them playing Saturday's game clearly something is terribly wrong at UF.

Are there any UF fans not appalled by this behavior of the criminal justice system and the UF athletic department administered by Foley.?   Is winning really that important?  Please don't give me the "Every school does this" crap.  I believe it is time for Bull Gators to put their wallets away and seriously clean up the mess they have created..  How many times are charges mysteriously dropped before a trial even occurs?  It doesn't take much to realize that victims wallets are being fattened to keep CRIMINAL players on the field.

Is there no integrity honesty decency or ethics at UF when it involves their athletic teams.  Is there even such a thing as accountability for ones deplorable behavior?   

Sandusky was horrible but collectively it would appear that UF's handling of its bad apples is equally appalling.   You have to wonder had Hernandez been properly disciplined and held accountable there may be as many as 3 people alive today.
« : July 07, 2013, 03:43:24 PM Runole »

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #1 : July 07, 2013, 04:50:27 PM »

you start your rant with a quote about jenkins being kicked off the team...then you ask if there is a such thing as accountability?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #2 : July 08, 2013, 09:35:09 AM »

you start your rant with a quote about jenkins being kicked off the team...then you ask if there is a such thing as accountability?

The Jenkin's quote is just an indictment on Meyer and  UF at that time..   Accountability?   Surely this is a sign that Muschamp is completely different  right?

Hmmmm?  It appears that might be a bit premature...   

http://www.alligator.org/sports/columns/article_f255f44a-d7d5-11e2-93e8-0019bb2963f4.html

Again I ask the question do you approve of the actions of Cervone, Johnson, Foley ,and Bull Gator boosters wallets for keeping UF football players involved in criminal activity on the field no matter what it takes?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #3 : July 08, 2013, 01:28:45 PM »

The Jenkin's quote is just an indictment on Meyer and  UF at that time..   Accountability?   Surely this is a sign that Muschamp is completely different  right?
http://www.alligator.org/sports/columns/article_f255f44a-d7d5-11e2-93e8-0019bb2963f4.html
Again I ask the question do you approve of the actions of Cervone, Johnson, Foley ,and Bull Gator boosters wallets for keeping UF football players involved in criminal activity on the field no matter what it takes?
did you even read the article?  im guessing not.  ac leonard?  gone.  dunker?  gone. 

i have no idea about cervone or johnson, couldnt tell you what they do, who they are, where they come from.  and  most dont unless they are members at warchant.  Foley is widely recognized as one of the premiere AD's in the country.

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #4 : July 09, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »

Huntley Johnson   from the Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323823004578594142608224534.html

Here is another article not from any FSU affiliated site...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/urban-meyer-tries-set-record-straight-aaron-hernandez-185542932.html

So do you think Urban Meyer speaks the truth?

All under that premier athletic directors?   watch.
« : July 09, 2013, 06:58:56 PM Runole »

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #5 : July 09, 2013, 08:18:58 PM »

i think urban meyer is the coach at ohio st, so i quit following the guy.  i follow will muschamp now.  and in the article you referenced 3 of the 4 guys mentioned for being in trouble were booted from the team by muschamp.  i used to believe in meyer much more than i do nowadays.

as far as the wsj article on johnson, it just states he is a lawyer who is breaking no rules.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

« #6 : July 10, 2013, 09:49:56 AM »

Lulz
FSU sucks

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #7 : July 10, 2013, 03:16:09 PM »

Premature???

That article mentions 3 players arrested for serious or violent crimes. 2 of the 3 are NO LONGER WITH FLORIDA.. The third's status is still pending.

Sounds like the typical mountain out of a molehill crap from our resident Gator-Hater.

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #8 : July 11, 2013, 10:43:53 AM »

Premature???

That article mentions 3 players arrested for serious or violent crimes. 2 of the 3 are NO LONGER WITH FLORIDA.. The third's status is still pending.

Sounds like the typical mountain out of a molehill crap from our resident Gator-Hater.

Are they all "STAR" players?  Or were they some players that needed to be replaced by better ones?   Guess we will just wait and see... Let me know when they get drafted by the NFL..

The point is "HELL YES WE CHEAT" in 1984 sent shock waves to UF and JMO but Bull Gators vowed to never let that happen again...  All it takes for the criminal stuff is have a SA Cervone that is a gator booster and DA that is a former gator and booster as well who works Pro Bono? for cases going all the way back to Dwayne Schintzius days...  How does poor Huntley manage to survive with all this Pro Bono work?  Certainly that looks like a classic NCAA major violation for a illegal benefit given to a student athlete... However, JMO but I have feeling that both Cervone and Johnson are well compensated by Bull Gator wallets.

Funny, how we really never heard about Hernandez and his problems at UF  kind of like Harvin...   Hmmm?   Apparently, being a criminal athlete is OK at UF if you are a "star" athlete.  I remember SI doing an article on the immense amount of Domestic Violence cases during the SOS years.   Nothing came of just like nothing came of Tank Black who certainly is an example of the worst amount of agents paying players in CFB history...  As usual UF plays the victim card and nothing happens...     Money apparently is the answer to any problem UF faces to make it go away..

Oh and I believe in one of the linked articles it is noted how the first person always called is Foley?   Wonder how that conversation goes?  LOL   Absolutely, astounding how  easily charges are dropped.

Hey maybe Muschamp is going to be the exception and actually not allow such stuff to go on?     Wonder if he will pull a Zook and go challenge some fraternity that upsets his football players?

Keep living in denial if you wish...   I will continue to connect the dots.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #9 : July 11, 2013, 12:20:34 PM »

Are they all "STAR" players?  Or were they some players that needed to be replaced by better ones?   Guess we will just wait and see... Let me know when they get drafted by the NFL..

Hey maybe Muschamp is going to be the exception and actually not allow such stuff to go on?     

janoris jenkins was an all american.  the other 2 were 4* freshman.  not exactly chopped liver.  muschamp has booted players, "STAR" players.  thats not denial, thats fact.

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #10 : July 11, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »

Hey maybe Muschamp is going to be the exception and actually not allow such stuff to go on?     

janoris jenkins was an all american.  the other 2 were 4* freshman.  not exactly chopped liver.  muschamp has booted players, "STAR" players.  thats not denial, thats fact.

Not saying he hasn't booted players and if this represents a clear change in what has been the UF culture since the mid 80's congratulations.  I think I will hold off on effusive praise just yet.

As to Jenkins was this his only run in with the law at UF? If so things must really be changing at UF.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #11 : July 11, 2013, 07:36:21 PM »

Florida State University (FSU) has had its share of "bad boys" on its football team, as well as other national rated teams, such as Florida Gators and the Miami Hurricanes.....Bobby Bowden often looked the other way when they were recruited.

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #12 : July 12, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »

Florida State University (FSU) has had its share of "bad boys" on its football team, as well as other national rated teams, such as Florida Gators and the Miami Hurricanes.....Bobby Bowden often looked the other way when they were recruited.

Link?   Certainly every team has its "bad boys"  and Bowden's 3 strike rule was maintained for minor offenses.  In some cases though it was (1) strike... See Randy Moss...  The factual record will show a huge disparity between both the numbers and the way they were handled at each school.   FSU's footlocker   UF's Tank Black   UM's Shapiro...  Explain how FSU is more egregious situation than those at UM and UF?

FSU has never been charged with a LACK OF INSTITUTIONAL CONTROL under the entire Bowden watch.   Both UF and UM can't make such statements.

My only point is UF lets them slide too much and it is shown in their dealings with criminal behavior that almost always disappears.

Let me educate you on the critical differences between how "bad boys" are dealt with at UF compared to FSU...

Pretty interesting and a good read and pretty obvious the different philosophies between SA Cervone at UF  and Meggs at FSU...

A few highlights:

"We try very hard to make sure that student-athletes do not get preferential treatment either way, that they do not get advantaged or disadvantaged because of them having some degree of notoriety within the university," Cervone said.

Riiiight...
That brings us to the cases of former Florida basketball player Teddy Dupay and former FSU quarterback Adrian McPherson.
THE SAME, BUT DIFFERENT
Cervone said misdemeanor gambling charges could have been pursued against both athletes. Asked if their cases are similar, Cervone said, "Yes, globally."
In March, gambling charges were filed against McPherson. Two years ago, after a five-month investigation, they were not filed against Dupay.
McPherson was accused of betting on college and pro sports, including games involving FSU. Earlier this month, a mistrial was declared in the case after a six-person jury failed to agree on a verdict. Prosecutors have said they will try the case again.
Dupay was accused of providing insider information to a friend, then sharing in the profits of bets. Teammates and non-athletes said Dupay told them he won money on bets. Asked if he believes Dupay gambled, Cervone said, "Yes."
But Dupay was not charged.
Cervone said Dupay's expulsion from the team for admitting to violating NCAA rules was punishment enough.

A trial would not have been worth the trouble, he said.
"People are saying that I'm wasting resources processing a misdemeanor," Meggs said, referring to McPherson's lone gambling charge. "But I know we have a misdemeanor division, and we do thousands of them each year. So to me it's not wasting a resource. We hold people accountable if they go out and shoplift at Wal-Mart. If they're apprehended, they're prosecuted. It's not serious, but it's serious to the offender and the victim."
Meggs said he prosecuted McPherson because he had enough evidence. Then he suggested athletes should be held to a higher standard than regular students.

Pretty much just fundamental differences in their philosophy for handling cases. 
In January, Meggs charged FSU defensive tackle Darnell Dockett with a felony for accepting discounted clothing at a store owned by former Seminole Warrick Dunn. After pleading guilty to petty theft, a misdemeanor, Dockett will serve 30 days in the sheriff's work camp.
Florida State President T.K. Wetherell has been critical of the way Meggs handled Dockett's case. Wetherell said Meggs should have just offered community service and a misdemeanor plea in the first place.

Those who believe Cervone is soft on Florida athletes often point to facts he does not hide. He has been a Florida football season-ticket holder since 1977, is a season-ticket holder for men's basketball and is a member of the Gainesville Quarterback Club. He also is an adjunct professor at UF's law school, where he taught trial tactics for nearly 20 years.

"In no way has anyone at the university tried to interfere with or tried to influence any of the investigations we've had," Cervone said. "My relationship with [Athletic Director] Jeremy Foley is very good, and all Jeremy has ever asked is to just tell us what's going on so that they don't get caught unaware. So that's what we do.

They don't need to when they already know how you're going to handle it.  You probably told them not to.
This isn't just about Dupay and McPherson. Cervone has opted not to press charges in several other cases involving Florida football players. Recently, Cervone brought charges against freshmen Channing Crowder, Steven Harris and Taurean Charles in connection with cases involving violent acts of crime.
This month, a judge allowed Crowder and Harris to plead no contest to their charges, and each was given probation without jail time or mandatory community service.

So even back then violent crimes didn't seem to be a big deal for Cervone.  Seems that culture hasn't changed much.
"At least in this community, people who have no record are not going to jail," Cervone said. "That's the way it is. . . . There is a perception that they [athletes] get treated differently, and how you convince people that is not so is something I really don't have the answer to."

So apparently even anyone here who doesn't have a record can go to Gainesville and pretty much get away with just about anything just like UF athletes do without jail time.  Yeah, I believe that...

Former wide receiver Jabar Gaffney was accused of choking and trying to drown a youth who had stolen his scooter but was not charged. "It was my belief that anybody who caught somebody stealing their stuff and chased him and held him down for the cops would never be convicted by a jury of anything," Cervone said.

So apparently "drowning" has a new definition in Gainesville as "holding them down for the cops."
Bowden has compared McPherson's case to Dupay's, wondering aloud why an investigative report on his former quarterback was 800 pages while one on Dupay was 48 pages.
"That's almost like saying that a professor grades papers by throwing them down the stairs and the heavier ones that go further get the A's," Cervone said.

Meggs, who said he "didn't even have the time," to read all 800 pages of the McPherson report, has come to realize that no matter what he does, he'll be criticized.

Interesting it was 800 pages.  Our Congressional Report on our Prewar Intelligence on Iraq was only 511 pages.

Cervone doesn't hide his compassion for high-profile athletes, stating, "Student-athletes, because of their visibility, are subject not only to the adulation they get on the one side, but also the criticism they get on the other side. And sometimes it puts them in a situation where they do something that's criminal, but understandable."

So because of their visibility, it puts them in situations to do something criminal?  Some of the rationalizations UF people have just boggle my mind.  No wonder their fans are so delusional and talk such stupid crap.  It starts at the top.  I guess being visible caused Hernandez to kill those people.  Makes sense.  It's a wonder Hollywood with all their high visibility stars isn't the crime capital of the world. Probably because that actually makes no sense.
"Let me make this clear," Cervone said. "I don't care who needs who to play on Saturday or Wednesday. I'm a fan and I prefer to watch them [Florida] win, but I don't care.

For not caring you certainly give them the best possible chance to win you can by allowing the best players to play regardless of what they do off the field.
"Frankly, I'm not interested in watching a team full of criminals. And I'm not interested in watching the university I graduated from represented by a bunch of criminals."
LOL WHAT?!?!  That's exactly what you're doing and you were/are accessory to it!  Hypocrite.

Pretty safe to say when it comes to legalities, FSU and UF are not on the same level with their athletes.

« : July 13, 2013, 07:49:34 AM Runole »

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #13 : July 13, 2013, 07:36:36 AM »

did you even read the article?  im guessing not.  ac leonard?  gone.  dunker?  gone. 

i have no idea about cervone or johnson, couldnt tell you what they do, who they are, where they come from.  and  most dont unless they are members at warchant.  Foley is widely recognized as one of the premiere AD's in the country.

Here is a direct quote from SA Cervone who you state you don't know....  This is just for education purposes of the SA that sees Florida's "bad boys" in court with Huntley on the other side.

Cervone doesn't hide his compassion for high-profile athletes, stating, "Student-athletes, because of their visibility, are subject not only to the adulation they get on the one side, but also the criticism they get on the other side. And sometimes it puts them in a situation where they do something that's criminal, but understandable."

So because of their visibility, it puts them in situations to do something criminal?    What is your opinion on this?   Sort explains the Hernandez situation and why nothing was done in UF!   Is there anything a UF athlete can't do and not get excused for it?

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #14 : July 24, 2013, 08:45:17 AM »

Don't remember the details as I only skimmed the article about another UF football player, this month, is apparently escaping punishment.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 22
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The stench in Gainesville at UF! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools