Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you think is the Best Free Agent Running Back Still Available ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

youngone

Hall of Famer

#30 : July 12, 2013, 08:46:14 AM

Absolutely no good reason why at least one of these guys is not on our roster. Just sayin.

Ringer maybe, the rest are the scrap metal of the NFL. Don't kid yourself.

+1
+2

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#31 : July 12, 2013, 08:50:00 AM

This list isnt very good at all. 3 or so decent backs with some left in the tank...at least in theory. For the most part its a better shot to take a chance on an unproven than most of these guys.

For a backup?  I'd take virtually all of them.  Outside of Hillis and Jacobs, I wouldn't mind having any of the other 8 on this team.  They're all solid enough players to get about 8-12 touches per game and be very productive.  I'd easily cut Leonard to create a spot those guys.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#32 : July 12, 2013, 09:00:49 AM

Leonard has rarely been asked as a result of the studs in front of him.

He gets crucial yardage. He blocks well. He is a good receiver for the stuff Freeman will be lobbing his way.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#33 : July 12, 2013, 09:07:24 AM

I bet we could sign Hillis for the same cheap one year deal we are giving Brian Leonard. They are basically the same player, but Hillis can actually run the ball and has shown he has the potential to bust out and be really good.
hillis?  the team cancer?  the me-first guy?  the guy that 2 teams have let go even with his talent?  or leonard?  the team-first guy?  the guy that does the dirty work rather than crave the spotlight? 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

youngone

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 12, 2013, 09:10:02 AM

The wanna be FBI agent

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#35 : July 12, 2013, 09:29:09 AM

Hillis was pretty kunty about his contract situation in Cleveland but as JD mentioned that team was essentially a clusterf*ck from top to bottom...I would do some investigating on his behavior in KC before coming to a conclusion on him but his talents could definitely help the Bucs if his attitude is right.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#36 : July 12, 2013, 10:00:26 AM

Too many here are looking at this list in the wrong way.  We dont need a starter.  Just someone who can take at least 6-8 touches a game off Dougs plate and maybe start a couple games if need be should an injury to Doug occur.  In the back up role any of these guys is a noticeable upgrade for what we have behind Martin. 
I like Willis but I'm hearing conflicting reports about how healthy he is.  I'd still bring him in and let our docs check him out.  If not him then Wells or Ringer would be 2 others that I'd look at. Both are young and have upside.  Really surprised that AZ already gave up on Wells.

It is VERY important that we monitor Doug's workload like MLB managers watch pitch counts.  GS clearly wasn't a LGB fan but there was no reason not to get that guy a little more involved when your starter was flirting with 370 touches(YIKES).  That is a herculean workload that will run this kid into the ground before his second contract if we maintain this pace.
: July 12, 2013, 10:08:23 AM rpc1978

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#37 : July 12, 2013, 10:24:43 AM

If Willis is healthy, he is the #1 choice without doubt.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 12, 2013, 10:41:51 AM

Patrick Willis, yes.

Peyton "Willis", no.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#39 : July 12, 2013, 10:54:41 AM

Funny thread. How important is actually being able to run the ball when you are a running back? LMAO.

Wells is done. Cooked. McGahee and Grant are the two I prefer. Both fit perfectly as 3rd down backs. Could probably pick them up for relatively cheap. Yes I mean both of them. Cut Michael Smith and Leonard and put James on the ps.

Or keep Leonard and cut Lorig. Leonard may be more versatile and Lorig may be the only mother fuchsia in the whole NFL that Leonard can run the ball better than. Then you have Doug, McGahee, Grant and Leonard. Problem solved.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#40 : July 12, 2013, 11:03:13 AM

Patrick Willis, yes.

Peyton "Willis", no.

Willis McGahee dude....not Peyton Hillis.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#41 : July 12, 2013, 11:03:42 AM

Funny thread. How important is actually being able to run the ball when you are a running back? LMAO.
it does sound odd, but honestly, not that important to me when considering depth or backup RB.  i want a running back who can understand the playbook and pick up the blitz.  most any RB can run hard and hit the hole.  and if he's got more talent than that, he's probably starting somewhere.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#42 : July 12, 2013, 11:08:59 AM

Wells is done. Cooked. McGahee and Grant are the two I prefer. Both fit perfectly as 3rd down backs. Could probably pick them up for relatively cheap. Yes I mean both of them. Cut Michael Smith and Leonard and put James on the ps.

Or keep Leonard and cut Lorig. Leonard may be more versatile and Lorig may be the only mother fuchsia in the whole NFL that Leonard can run the ball better than. Then you have Doug, McGahee, Grant and Leonard. Problem solved.

To the bolded.....I am of the opinion we should sign one of these vets as insurance because it is unlikely that Smith or James will be ready to contribute in a major way this year.....but you have to at least let camp and preseason play out before you decide who needs to be cut and put on the practise squad. Saying what to do right now and claiming problem solved is premature and ridiculous. You have to give the kids a chance first. For all you know James or Smith could be better than Grant.

What if the Redskins thought like you? They would have signed Cedric Benson last year and Alfred Morris would have been on the PS and never had a shot.

I want a solid vet for insurance, but damn man. Give the kids a chance!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#43 : July 12, 2013, 11:10:16 AM

it does sound odd, but honestly, not that important to me when considering depth or backup RB.  i want a running back who can understand the playbook and pick up the blitz.  most any RB can run hard and hit the hole.  and if he's got more talent than that, he's probably starting somewhere.

You keep saying this but it is 100% false. This kinda nonsense gets us starting Kregg Lumpkin.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#44 : July 12, 2013, 11:14:58 AM

McGhee is thirty one, an has busted legs. He is done.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you think is the Best Free Agent Running Back Still Available ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools