Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you think is the Best Free Agent Running Back Still Available ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#45 : July 12, 2013, 11:15:31 AM

You keep saying this but it is 100% false. This kinda nonsense gets us starting Kregg Lumpkin.
raheem morris and greg olson got us kregg lumpkin.  and for some reason lumpkin keeps sticking around the league, no idea why.

but i disagree with you on this one.  a coach needs to trust his players.  highlight reel players wont last if they cant be trusted.  especially in a passing league.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#46 : July 12, 2013, 11:20:04 AM

What does that have to do with your philosophy that any RB can hit the hole and get yards? Unless you are Mike Shanahan....it's just not true.

Draft Aaron Donald

youngone

Hall of Famer
#47 : July 12, 2013, 11:26:32 AM

People don't realize the players fans want gone first is an old ineffective RB.. It's a waste to have one if they cant run anymore. The young guys we have now and Leonard bring way more than a MaGahee or Turner would. They can contribute more than a guy like MaGahee because he doesn't play ST at all like Blount. He was useless all year.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#48 : July 12, 2013, 11:29:49 AM

What does that have to do with your philosophy that any RB can hit the hole and get yards? Unless you are Mike Shanahan....it's just not true.

Just RBs rated above unemployed guys can hit the hole and get yards. This even applies to teams coached by M Shannhan.
Right now McGahee is nothing more than 'most any RB'...he can not even hit holes and get yards in WAS.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#49 : July 12, 2013, 11:41:53 AM

i guess it correlates with playing time.  id rather a backup that is a better blocker/blitz and knows the playbook than a guy that is a great runner.  i think many coaches would agree with this.  i think many fans dismiss this notion and want the highlight reel.

as for running the ball.  i think most every RB can hit the hole and get a couple yards.  i dont think most every RB can see the cutback, make a tackler miss.  the best RB's dont need big holes, the average ones do.  and maybe im not clear about the effectiveness of any RB hitting the hole and getting yards.  im not talking about 5ypc.  im talking bare minimum.  i dont know how real it is to expect maximum gains out of a backup RB who can also pick up the blitz.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#50 : July 12, 2013, 11:49:18 AM

I would agree that our back up RB needs to be good at blocking and catching....that is why we have no more Blount. However, if he can only manage three yards or less when asked to run the ball.....it doesn't matter how good he blocks. Running backs have to be able to run. Otherwise the defense sells out verse the pass when he is on the field, and that is just as bad as the defense selling out verse the run when Blount was on the field. At least that is how I see it.

This conversation reminds me of the "but he is a great blocker!" posts made about Clayton back in the day before everyone hated him. Running backs run. Receivers catch. If they can't do their main job, then I don't care about the other stuff they do well.

: July 12, 2013, 11:52:40 AM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#51 : July 12, 2013, 12:14:57 PM

Funny thread. How important is actually being able to run the ball when you are a running back? LMAO.

Wells is done. Cooked. McGahee and Grant are the two I prefer. Both fit perfectly as 3rd down backs. Could probably pick them up for relatively cheap. Yes I mean both of them. Cut Michael Smith and Leonard and put James on the ps.

Or keep Leonard and cut Lorig. Leonard may be more versatile and Lorig may be the only mother fuchsia in the whole NFL that Leonard can run the ball better than. Then you have Doug, McGahee, Grant and Leonard. Problem solved.

To the bolded.....I am of the opinion we should sign one of these vets as insurance because it is unlikely that Smith or James will be ready to contribute in a major way this year.....but you have to at least let camp and preseason play out before you decide who needs to be cut and put on the practise squad. Saying what to do right now and claiming problem solved is premature and ridiculous. You have to give the kids a chance first. For all you know James or Smith could be better than Grant.

What if the Redskins thought like you? They would have signed Cedric Benson last year and Alfred Morris would have been on the PS and never had a shot.

I want a solid vet for insurance, but damn man. Give the kids a chance!

I can't believe I just read you say we should give Michael Smith a chance given your past analysis. Anyway I never said to cut him now. That would be retarded.

That is just the inevitable conclusio IMO.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#52 : July 12, 2013, 12:30:10 PM

Boid doesnt know Mcgahee's 1st name is Willis....what an ass clown ...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#53 : July 12, 2013, 12:32:01 PM

Funny thread. How important is actually being able to run the ball when you are a running back? LMAO.

Wells is done. Cooked. McGahee and Grant are the two I prefer. Both fit perfectly as 3rd down backs. Could probably pick them up for relatively cheap. Yes I mean both of them. Cut Michael Smith and Leonard and put James on the ps.

Or keep Leonard and cut Lorig. Leonard may be more versatile and Lorig may be the only mother fuchsia in the whole NFL that Leonard can run the ball better than. Then you have Doug, McGahee, Grant and Leonard. Problem solved.

To the bolded.....I am of the opinion we should sign one of these vets as insurance because it is unlikely that Smith or James will be ready to contribute in a major way this year.....but you have to at least let camp and preseason play out before you decide who needs to be cut and put on the practise squad. Saying what to do right now and claiming problem solved is premature and ridiculous. You have to give the kids a chance first. For all you know James or Smith could be better than Grant.

What if the Redskins thought like you? They would have signed Cedric Benson last year and Alfred Morris would have been on the PS and never had a shot.

I want a solid vet for insurance, but damn man. Give the kids a chance!

I can't believe I just read you say we should give Michael Smith a chance given your past analysis. Anyway I never said to cut him now. That would be retarded.

That is just the inevitable conclusio IMO.

I never said I expected him to be any good. I think he is a waste of a roster spot. All I said was you have to give him a shot in preseason and camp before you make a decision to cut him.

Draft Aaron Donald

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#54 : July 12, 2013, 12:45:55 PM

I agree its too early to cut him now but last year he got a shot and got hawked down on a KO return and he is supposed to be a KR?

That sucks. Exactly a waste of a roster spot if he can't run the ball or return kicks.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#55 : July 12, 2013, 01:28:07 PM

Cut him now........Willis on one leg is a better option.

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#56 : July 12, 2013, 03:54:46 PM

Lol,  he did get hawked down..

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#57 : July 12, 2013, 09:11:49 PM

People don't realize the players fans want gone first is an old ineffective RB.. It's a waste to have one if they cant run anymore. The young guys we have now and Leonard bring way more than a MaGahee or Turner would. They can contribute more than a guy like MaGahee because he doesn't play ST at all like Blount. He was useless all year.

I think of all the positions in football, RB is the first to fall off the cliff.  It it happens VERY fast.  So I would be cautious in signing older RB's.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#58 : July 12, 2013, 09:24:27 PM

I think of all the positions in football, RB is the first to fall off the cliff.  It it happens VERY fast.  So I would be cautious in signing older RB's.

If you were signing them with the intent of making them primary ball carriers, I agree....if they are complimentary COP backs its a different story.

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#59 : July 12, 2013, 09:28:19 PM

If you were signing them with the intent of making them primary ball carriers, I agree....if they are complimentary COP backs its a different story.

Well the trouble is, a lot of these free agent RB's still think in their minds, they ARE starting caliber RB's.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you think is the Best Free Agent Running Back Still Available ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools