Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ranking the NFL's thinnest backfields « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: July 12, 2013, 12:08:15 AM

Ranking the NFL's thinnest backfields

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor   NFL.com

Published:  July 11, 2013 at 06:09 p.m.

Marc Sessler ranked the NFL's deepest backfields earlier this week. Since it's July 11, and the website is clearly out of ideas, let's take a look at the thinnest backfields out there too.

This isn't a list of the running back groups that have lost the most weight this offseason. What teams are an injury away from real trouble?

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Losing Doug Martin would be devastating for the Bucs' offense. It's a steep drop to Brian Leonard and Mike James on the depth chart. Tampa should look to add another body.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars: Maurice Jones-Drew is a shiny name at the top of the depth chart, but he has serious injury concerns coming into the season. If MJD gets hurt or needs a spell, journeyman Justin Forsett is next in line. Rookie Denard Robinson is listed as an "offensive weapon" but will probably play receiver more. Jordan Todman and Jonathan Grimes fill out the depth chart. There's a lot of hoping here, and not a great plan.

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Andy Reid has one of the best running backs in the league with Jamaal Charles. Reid has one of the shakiest situations behind his starter. Rookie Knile Davis looked like a workout wonder with suspect instincts. Next up: Shaun Draughn and Cyrus Gray. This running game could collapse if Charles was hurt.

4. Oakland Raiders: Any team starting Darren McFadden should assume that their backup is going to start multiple games. The candidates in Oakland: Rookie Latavius Murray, deposed former Jaguar Rashad Jennings, and underrated second-year pro Jeremy Stewart. It's never good when a team is counting on a sixth-round draft pick to matter.

5. St. Louis Rams: Chris Wesseling loves him some Isaiah Pead. There's potential there. Daryl Richardson looks like a fine third-down back. There is buzz about fifth-round draft pick Zac Stacy, but he was a fifth-round choice. Add it all up, and the group is still trailing behind the pack.

6. New York Giants: David Wilson is a very promising starter, but he's unproven in the role. Everyone assumes Andre Brown is a great second option because of one Thursday night performance against the Carolina Panthers. Brown was a great story, but there's usually a reason four teams let a player go. A veteran addition would not surprise.

7. Miami Dolphins: Lamar Miller is one of our upcoming "Making the Leap" candidates, but we have no faith in Daniel Thomas as a primary backup and the team only has fifth-round rookie running back Mike Gillislee behind him. I'm a huge Ryan Tannehill fan, but there's a risk the team will put too much on his plate.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 12, 2013, 03:19:26 AM

Obviously this writer doesn't read the Red Board.

We are super cool with Leonard and James. And they didn't even make mention of our second year wonder Michael Smith!

If those guys turn out to be trash we just sign Kregg Lumpkin v2.0 and we are good to go! Crown Us!!!!!

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#2 : July 12, 2013, 07:44:04 AM

What an idiot. No mention of Demps at all.

BucNCane

Second String

#3 : July 12, 2013, 08:23:51 AM

I agree we have no depth but at least we have a star. The fins Giants and rams have unproven talent backed up by no talent. I'll take ours over theirs.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 12, 2013, 08:25:07 AM

If Martin goes down , we can go dumpster diving at that point . All the guys available now will still be then.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 12, 2013, 08:27:36 AM

What an idiot. No mention of Demps at all.

Who has done WHAT in the NFL?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#6 : July 12, 2013, 08:34:34 AM

If Martin goes down , we can go dumpster diving at that point . All the guys available now will still be then.

Doubt it. I'm betting most of the top free agent RBs will get snatched up during the preseason as some teams realize they don't have what they had hoped in their young RBs. Seems like it would make sense to grab one now while we still have our choice of whatever one we want....rather than waiting until there are only one or two guys left. If Leonard, James, amd Smith tear it up in the preseason, we can always cut the vet.....but why not have one on the roster at this point, learning the playbook just in case?
: July 12, 2013, 08:37:35 AM JDouble

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 12, 2013, 08:40:00 AM

Good point.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#8 : July 12, 2013, 08:41:43 AM

Good point.

Holy sh!t my head just exploded!

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 12, 2013, 09:01:27 AM

Doubt it. I'm betting most of the top free agent RBs will get snatched up during the preseason as some teams realize they don't have what they had hoped in their young RBs. Seems like it would make sense to grab one now while we still have our choice of whatever one we want....rather than waiting until there are only one or two guys left. If Leonard, James, amd Smith tear it up in the preseason, we can always cut the vet.....but why not have one on the roster at this point, learning the playbook just in case?
Snatched up by who? By those teams that already have more depth and therefore have to make room for those guys?
Why should McGahee sign a contract here, when the staff obviously ranks the guys here over him...or lets say McGahee most likely wont start(be the Martin's backup) in week1 for us here anyway?

Those guys on the roster are already competing with McGahee, him being signed here or not. How this competition with him in TC makes any difference on Dom and Schiano making a decision is beyond me. How will McGahee beat out our guys anyway? I mean its still Dom and Schiano running the Show here, whether you buy into their abilities or not. How McGahee should make us feel more comfortable, i dont know. Actually signing McGahee would make me believe they do NOT like our guys on the roster, so what does the current siuation/moves tell us?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#10 : July 12, 2013, 09:03:01 AM

if we pick up a vet, it probably wont take very long for him to learn the offense.  ive got no problem picking up a vet now, but its looking pretty obvious the team isnt impressed by whats available right now.  that vet that we pick up right now will only take away valuable experience for the young guys on the roster who the team apparently likes, even if our fans dont.  i still think we pick up a RB, but not the one so many of you covet.  i expect one of the colts cuts, possibly a ringer.  a young, hardworking, non-flashy, team guy.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#11 : July 12, 2013, 09:45:36 AM

The Bucs don't got a RB that played much yet is all, outside of Leonard of course. Some teams are not on this list because their nobody backups got to start and did well, because every season nobody backups start and do well.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 12, 2013, 10:32:16 AM

if we pick up a vet, it probably wont take very long for him to learn the offense.  ive got no problem picking up a vet now, but its looking pretty obvious the team isnt impressed by whats available right now. that vet that we pick up right now will only take away valuable experience for the young guys on the roster who the team apparently likes, even if our fans dont.  i still think we pick up a RB, but not the one so many of you covet.  i expect one of the colts cuts, possibly a ringer.  a young, hardworking, non-flashy, team guy.

The Bucs don't know how to build a roster. We need to blend youth and experience at every single position. RB is a position that is way too young overall. Because like you saw with the 2011 team was a team that was too young and after a few key injuries nobody knew what to do to recover. Their inexperience was evident.

We also saw it again last year when we lost 5 of 6. The fact remains that even a new coach with more experience could not prevent this team from being who they were. Young and inexperienced. Mix it up with a great vet RB and a vet DE like Abraham.    It's time to stop building and start finishing the roster. We are close but certainly still too young in a few key positions.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#13 : July 12, 2013, 10:39:56 AM

The Bucs don't know how to build a roster. We need to blend youth and experience at every single position. RB is a position that is way too young overall. Because like you saw with the 2011 team was a team that was too young and after a few key injuries nobody knew what to do to recover. Their inexperience was evident.

We also saw it again last year when we lost 5 of 6. The fact remains that even a new coach with more experience could not prevent this team from being who they were. Young and inexperienced. Mix it up with a great vet RB and a vet DE like Abraham.    It's time to stop building and start finishing the roster. We are close but certainly still too young in a few key positions.
but heres one thing - we as fans dont know what kind of vet mcgahee and abraham are.  we dont know how much left is in the tank, or how healthy they are.  we dont know if they truly will express that veteran knowledge, or if they will pick up their paycheck and leave.  i love the idea of a veteran experience...but what experience would abraham bring that bryan cox doesnt?  what experience would a vet RB bring that leonard and byner dont?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 12, 2013, 11:03:22 AM

but heres one thing - we as fans dont know what kind of vet mcgahee and abraham are.  we dont know how much left is in the tank, or how healthy they are.  we dont know if they truly will express that veteran knowledge, or if they will pick up their paycheck and leave.  i love the idea of a veteran experience...but what experience would abraham bring that bryan cox doesnt?  what experience would a vet RB bring that leonard and byner dont?

Well unless Cox and Byner want to strap on a helmet, last time I checked the players actually have to do it themselves.

You bring up a good point about not knowing whether a player is going to be a good fit with the team,  but isn't that why you act earlier?  To get the better player instead of waiting around until Kregg Lumpkin is the best option?

???

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ranking the NFL's thinnest backfields « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools