Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: are RBs worthy of a top 10 pick? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

nitey

Hall of Famer
#15 : July 15, 2013, 07:12:08 AM

If all the statements above are true, then there should be little discussion about needing another good running back behind Martin in case of injury as there should be plenty of 'competent' running backs available. In fact, were Blount's best years because of talent or because the offensive line was above average?

IJDK what I really think. I remember I was all for drafting Richardson if he was available at #9 (but preferred Claiborne), but I'm very pleased that we didn't have that option and got Doug late in the 1st round. I do tend to think that a good offensive line can make an ordinary running back look much better and for that reason, I'm not overly worried about who backs up Martin if Martin gets injured, but I also am willing to admit that there is likely to be a reasonable drop off in ability should that happen.

FWIW, I think Smith is going to surprise and turn out to be a pretty decent little backup. Someone once referred to him as a 'poor man's Warrick Dunn' and if we get that kind of play out of the guy, I'll be happy indeed.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 15, 2013, 07:15:58 AM

I liken James to a poor mans Timmy Smith. Counter trey. All day.

Remember that?

nitey

Hall of Famer
#17 : July 15, 2013, 07:21:02 AM

Could see that. TC is going to tell us a lot about James and Smith I think even if they are likely to be mostly running behind a second string line. Rookies report to camp on Wednesday!!!

Go Bucs, Go Football!

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#18 : July 15, 2013, 08:13:34 PM

Are we still in agreement about this?

Even more so, IMO.

You know the Browns have to regret that Richardson pick. Sure, he might get it together and have a decent career. But worth the #3 pick in the draft?  Hell no.  I don't think any RB is.  I like him too, being a Fla. boy..  And he is a good character guy, Emmitt Smith was his hero.  But he was drafted way too early, and now has to try to live up to his draft slot, which he never will.

The game has changed over the years, teams gotta adapt.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: are RBs worthy of a top 10 pick? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools