Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Buccaneers were much better with Erik Lorig on the field --- so why is that? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : July 13, 2013, 12:00:44 AM »

The Buccaneers were much better with Erik Lorig on the field -- so why is that?

By Sander Philipse

Jul 12 2013, 9:39a 4

USA TODAY Sports

How can we explain the massive difference between having a fullback on the field and having a tight end or third receiver in the lineup?

Football Outsiders has some interesting data. You know, as they usually do. This time, they looked at the difference between one-back and two-back formations within the same offense. And the Bucs' results show a surprising split: they were much more efficient in two-back offenses than in a one-back offense. In fact, having Erik Lorig on the field turned the Bucs from a well-below average offense into a solid but unspectacular unit.

In fact, the Minnesota Vikings were the only team to show a bigger positive difference between its two-back and one-back formations. So how can we explain this fact? I have a few theories.

•A two-back offense would almost always consist of Doug Martin and Erik Lorig. The one-back set, however, would have a fairly large proportion of third-down plays with DJ Ware at running back. And given the fact that Doug Martin was the basis of the Bucs' offense and DJ Ware was serviceable but not very good, that could go a long way toward explaining the difference.

•Perhaps the difference is not due to DJ Ware, but due to the player replacing Erik Lorig in the offense. After all, that was usually one of Luke Stocker, Dallas Clark or Tiquan Underwood. That list of names should do a good job of showing you a potential problem, here.

•Or perhaps it's Josh Freeman's fault. It's entirely plausible that the Bucs ran the ball more with two backs than they did with one back. Does that explain the difference? A casual perusal of Football Outsiders' data on offenses suggests that can't really be it: both its passing game and running game showed positive results.

•To distinguish between these hypotheses, I need more data. Which I don't have. Which sucks.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/7/12/4515442/the-buccaneers-were-much-better-with-erik-lorig-on-the-field-so-why

bucs449

Hall of Famer

« #1 : July 13, 2013, 01:58:03 AM »

21 or 22 personnel was a fairly run heavy formation for the Bucs (as well as most teams), especially when Clark checked out for another TE or an extra offensive lineman. Martin would do work and that would allow the Bucs to stay commited to the run, so when there was play action, the Bucs were often very successful.

What I am looking forward to this year is those Power G plays with Nicks pulling around to Joseph's side, and the play side reciever coming down to block the safety, opening up big lanes for Martin. The Bucs do it up the field a bit, ripping off some nice gains, and then they dial up some nice hard run action. Nicks pulls around, VJ or Mike run toward the safety like they're blocking, the secondary gets sucked up and then bang, Freeman pulls the ball out of Martin's belly, whips his head around and VJ/Mike is 10 yards behind the defense for an easy TD. It's a thing of beauty fellas!!

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
« #2 : July 13, 2013, 02:31:17 AM »

Interesting stat. I know that Dominik typically goes out of his way to praise Lorig, so maybe it's truly well-founded.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #3 : July 13, 2013, 02:15:57 PM »

Interesting stat. I know that Dominik typically goes out of his way to praise Lorig, so maybe it's truly well-founded.
Great player, not so much.  Asset to the team absolutely.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #4 : July 14, 2013, 07:47:12 PM »

Or perhaps it's Josh Freeman's fault.

Always the old  "go to"  excuse.  Never wears out.   Can be inserted almost anywhere.  Its definitely a good candidate for the excuse HOF.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #5 : July 14, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »

I have watched enough of Free to know he isn't a beast. He is a puzzy QB. No fire. No swagger.

Where is the arm flapping freeman?  I missed that running fool.  So yes the Falcants are the team to hate...Free hates them.   Too bad he can't throw or read a field properly. He will disappoint next season. Just a hunch.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #6 : July 14, 2013, 09:07:33 PM »

I have watched enough of Free to know he isn't a beast. He is a puzzy QB. No fire. No swagger.

Where is the arm flapping freeman?  I missed that running fool.  So yes the Falcants are the team to hate...Free hates them.   Too bad he can't throw or read a field properly. He will disappoint next season. Just a hunch.

I'm just going to stick my head in the sand for a while..  Ignorance is bliss.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #7 : July 14, 2013, 09:12:27 PM »

Just not impressed with Freeman. I do not expect much out of him next season. Just a game manager type who unloads an occasional fly ball.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #8 : July 15, 2013, 09:50:53 AM »

Why? Cause Lorig is a beast!

Draft Aaron Donald

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #9 : July 15, 2013, 10:01:47 AM »

Lorig is good no doubt.

But what if Lorig gets hurt?  As the teams true FB, he would have to be replaced by one...

Brian Effing Leonard baby!  Versatile! 

And dude plays RB in a pinch, and special teams all day.

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : July 15, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »

IIR PR addressed this exact question several months back.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #11 : July 15, 2013, 04:05:46 PM »

I remember writing my own piece on this two years ago, but I also remember proclaiming our head coach should be a fax machine... so there's that.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

« #12 : July 15, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »

**CENSORED** hits like a de-luxe copier.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #13 : July 15, 2013, 04:23:25 PM »

Why? Cause Lorig is a beast!
This

gone

Hall of Famer
« #14 : July 15, 2013, 04:53:56 PM »

Bucs ran the ball more with two backs than they did with one back. Does that explain the difference? A casual perusal of Football Outsiders' data on offenses suggests that can't really be it: both its passing game and running game showed positive results. I misread the article, which talks about rushing offense only. Whoops

Stunned to see a pro like Sander slip up like that.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Buccaneers were much better with Erik Lorig on the field --- so why is that? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools