Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano vs Kelly « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

njligernj

Starter
#45 : September 10, 2013, 10:03:24 AM

Other teams in the league will be much more prepared for it...  the NFL is a great equalizer.

Maybe. Although people said all last year about some of the teams doing different things and they didn't adjust that well. The Eagles aren't going to just sit around waiting for the D to catch up; they'll be improving on O as well.

Look ... Eagles could get a bunch of injuries and tank. Or you could be right and everyone catches up. Sure looked a hell of a lot more exciting and effective than anything we've done of late though.

Spilled milk and all but for a team which moved heaven and earth for Gruden we just seemed to give up on Kelly fairly easily. Oh well. Week one is national jump to conclusions week so we'll see.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#46 : September 10, 2013, 10:18:02 AM

Disclaimer - I'm someone who would have been ok with either (probably more excited by Kelly) and who leans towards thinking Schiano will be a good NFL coach.

I think that Kelly's fascinating and a clearly an iconoclast that the NFL can use. That said, as fun as that was to watch, I'd be a bit nervous if I were an Eagles fan that it works all that well for the course of a season. It's not just that teams will catch up (and frankly, it's a bit embarrassing for Haslett that he seemed so ill-prepared - I saw similar formations in person in Charlottesville when OU stomped the Cavs - the idea that they had no film on this is dumb), but that this could end up wearing them out. Vick and McCoy looked absolutely gassed. McCoy had 31 attempts! He's never had more than 273 attempts in a season, and averages just under 15 carries per game for his career. 

It just puts a ton of pressure on depth, and in the world of a cap and 53-man rosters, that's a dangerous game to play. It's also worth noting that the Skins secondary might be all-time bad - Biggers at S?

JohnT

Starter

#47 : September 10, 2013, 05:04:54 PM

I don't think it's too early to say that Kelly is better.
i don't think it's too early to say Rich Kotite was better than Schiano.

I don't either.

Unfortunately, I agree.

jhop88

Hall of Famer

#48 : September 10, 2013, 05:11:01 PM

Kelly was better at the college level.  Hey , I know...lets compare Schiano to Jim Harbaugh.  That should be fun.

You can't compare the football programs at their respective schools.

Why not?

Jumper

Second String

#49 : September 10, 2013, 05:40:16 PM

Time will tell but I think the aggressive up-tempo spread is probably more conducive to success than a run heavy conservative approach.

JohnT

Starter

#50 : September 10, 2013, 08:04:44 PM

Sure was a fun Eagles offense to watch the other night.   180 degrees different from that crap we saw from the Bucs on Sunday.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#51 : September 10, 2013, 08:21:16 PM

Sure was a fun Eagles offense to watch the other night.   180 degrees different from that crap we saw from the Bucs under Gruden.

Shotgun formation? What is this?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#52 : September 10, 2013, 08:48:02 PM

Sure was a fun Eagles offense to watch the other night.
did you watch the 2nd half?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JohnT

Starter

#53 : September 10, 2013, 09:15:14 PM

Sure was a fun Eagles offense to watch the other night.   180 degrees different from that crap we saw from the Bucs under Gruden.

Shotgun formation? What is this?

The Bucs run the shotgun.   They ran it on the play where Freeman kicked the ball out of the end zone for a safety.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano vs Kelly « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools