Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano vs Kelly « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#15 : July 14, 2013, 10:01:43 PM

Yut.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#16 : July 15, 2013, 10:06:22 AM

Schiano, unlike Kelly & Carrol didn't take their NFL job because of impending NCAA violations at their college.

Like I said, Greg Schiano is a man of character. He doesn't renege on a promise. He's a man of his word.

You talk as if you have known him personally for years.....

I lived in Staten Island for 3 years and eastern Pa. for the last 9 years. The man has built a reputation that is well known to everyone in this area. When you look at the caliber of men he has attracted to his coaching staff, it's easy to see he has impressed some very knowledgeable people. He has no ego issue. He's more than willing to take advantage of that knowledge. Rutgers football would be extinct by now if not for him.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 15, 2013, 10:34:01 AM

Chip Kelly won in college, Greg Schiano's record was mediocre in a horribly weak conference

Chip Kelly Bowl record: 2-2
Greg Schiano Bowl record: 5-1

Yes the Big east is very weak, but last time I checked the Big East didn't play itself in bowl games.

Chip is innovative and Schiano old school.  Who is better? We don't know. What I think is that I'm happy we have Schiano rather than Kelly. Maybe Kelly will revive Philly, maybe the thing blows up in their faces. Either way, i'll be watching very closely.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

ingey1968

Starter

#18 : July 15, 2013, 10:56:21 AM

Iowa State, Central Florida, North Carolina State, Ball State and Kansas State.  not exactly elite teams.

Chip Kelly won in college, Greg Schiano's record was mediocre in a horribly weak conference

Yes the Big east is very weak, but last time I checked the Big East didn't play itself in bowl games.

Chip is innovative and Schiano old school.  Who is better? We don't know. What I think is that I'm happy we have Schiano rather than Kelly. Maybe Kelly will revive Philly, maybe the thing blows up in their faces. Either way, i'll be watching very closely.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#19 : July 15, 2013, 11:03:43 AM

Iowa State, Central Florida, North Carolina State, Ball State and Kansas State.  not exactly elite teams.

No. What that stat means to me is that Schiano is very good when he has ample time to prepare. It's very telling. Look at NFL coaches, there is a reason why the good coaches have very good records after a bye week. A good coach takes advantage of more time and has his team better prepared.

I'm not talking about records, I'm talking about a coaches ability to coach. Like his style or not, Schiano is a coach and he uses every second to coach every minor detail of the game. We'll see how that style works in the NFL, but again, I think he's the perfect fit for Tampa.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#20 : July 15, 2013, 02:53:23 PM

I like  Schiano so far but i really dont get the massive love the guy is getting in this forum. What has he actually done to this point? 

Solely for the culture change at this point.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

ingey1968

Starter

#21 : July 15, 2013, 04:14:17 PM

I dont think he is bad, My only issue with him is the whole kneel down thing .  I just dont understand the massive love for the guy when he hasn't done anything yet. Hopefully the Bucs will have a great season and then i will give him his due.

I like  Schiano so far but i really dont get the massive love the guy is getting in this forum. What has he actually done to this point? 

Solely for the culture change at this point.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 15, 2013, 04:47:27 PM

Some here are company men, and would praise the HC..no matter who it was.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#23 : July 15, 2013, 04:49:36 PM

Some here are company men, and would praise the HC..no matter who it was.
you can look for the good in most things...or you can look for the bad.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#24 : July 15, 2013, 04:51:45 PM

Or you could look at each,

...and be attacked by both sides and called a troll.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#25 : July 15, 2013, 09:08:26 PM

I dont think he is bad, My only issue with him is the whole kneel down thing .  I just dont understand the massive love for the guy when he hasn't done anything yet. Hopefully the Bucs will have a great season and then i will give him his due.

He teaches that you don't concede a loss just because their offense has the ball. You play with effort until the clock says the game is over. To say he hasn't done anything yet is to ignore the change in attitude both here and at Rutgers. What's wrong with being supportive and encouraging based on the upgrades in both the roster and the coaching staff? This is a very different team from the one he took over.

ingey1968

Starter

#26 : July 15, 2013, 09:25:23 PM

say what you want but the guy who he took over for had   better results with a lessor team. As i said, i will take a wait and see approach on him. perhaps this is the season he wins.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#27 : July 15, 2013, 09:54:16 PM

say what you want but the guy who he took over for had   better results with a lessor team. As i said, i will take a wait and see approach on him. perhaps this is the season he wins.
that sounds very inaccurate.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

vicious00cycle

Starter
#28 : July 16, 2013, 02:47:26 PM

3-13, 10-6, 4-12 (complete with a very impressive 10 game losing streak)..... I don't consider those 3 years to be "better results with a lessor team". 7-9 should not, and will not, be the benchmark for a Schiano-led Bucs team lol. The culture change can't be disregarded, as much as some on here might want to try. Cutting ties with a few bad seeds had to be done. I fully supported the kneel-down attack in the TWO games it was used, both early season, one score games that I think Schiano wanted to use to set the tone for the whole season. In 2011, Tampa was getting blown off the field left and right. Last season we only saw two blowout losses to New Orleans and St. Louis. The climb from basement-dweller to annual contender is a tough one and it requires tough leaders. I can see ol' Chip bailing for the College level again in a couple of years. Schiano will have to be fired. To be honest, that alone makes a world of difference for me if I had to choose one man to follow.

\"He doesn\'t want a people to rule so much as he wants puppets to entertain his madness.\"

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#29 : July 16, 2013, 05:43:07 PM

FWIW, I think Chip has a Bobby Petrino feel.

As for Coach S, time will tell what will happen in the NFL but anyone who disrespects the amazing job he did at Rutgers is just ignorant to what Rutgers was before Schiano got there.

Rutgers before Schiano:
17 years  67-114-5 .370  2 winning seasons, no bowl appearance, 5 seasons in which they won 2 or less games (including going winless in 1997).

With Schiano -
68-67, .504 winning pct., first bowl victory in school history, winning season in last 6 of 7 years, 5-1 bowl record.

And he left to program in great shape. Rutgers went 9-4 and another bowl game this past season.

Unlike Chip and Pete, who leave their schools in probation/shambles.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano vs Kelly « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools