Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Safeties May Get Picked On « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« : July 17, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »

Safeties May Get Picked On

July 17th, 2013

On paper, how could one argue the Bucs don’t have a shot to go from worst to first in the secondary?

With the additions of Batman (Goldson) and Robin (Revis) and Johnthan Banks, the Bucs appear to have the strongest secondary in the NFC.

But as Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan, co-hosts of “Movin’ the Chains,” heard exclusively on SiriusXM NFL Radio, reminded fans yesterday, games are not played on paper.

In fact, both expect the quarterbacks the Bucs will face this season, specifically Drew Brees and Matty Ice twice, to pick on the Bucs safeties time and again.

Last year, Mark Barron, a rookie, played more of a free safety partially because Ronde Barber was more of a run-stopper. But Barron was picked on in deep passes and clearly showed he is more of a bone-rattling hitter in traffic. Ryan and Kirwan believe the Bucs now have two strong safeties and no free safeties as Batman is susceptible to deep passes as well. Both suggested that’s an invitation for opposing quarterbacks to throw deep early and often Bucs.

Tim Ryan: Mark Barron said in a recent interview that he will be playing more in the box, defending the run. A rover style, doing different things. The report also noted that Dashon Goldson would be playing a deep middle player and more as a free safety. Talk about that a little bit because if anything, Dashon Goldson is a box safety. Talk about it.

Pat Kirwan: It’s very hard to play in the NFL game that is in front of us, today, the kind that we currently see on the television screens, with two strong safeties. So that sounds like a description of two strong safeties. Now, if that was because they were limited to those skill sets, then they are in trouble. Who is the deep hole player?

Ryan: Look, Goldson is terrific. He will rock you and will come up and hit it and get tipped balls and get the interceptions. But he is also better six-to-16 yards level one and two in the passing game. Anything deep, he has some challenges there, now.

Kirwan: Well, they have to be careful with how they play this. Now some teams will play this with some kind of a read look with the two safeties playing in a Cover-2 look and then if the flow comes there way they come in late…

Ryan: A late insert.

Kirwan: … so if you want to play that kind of stuff because you want to get aggressive and the other guy is over the top a little bit, OK. But you can’t feature both guys if they are both strong safeties. Someone has to play the deep middle and both of them have to be good half-field players. That is Cover-2 and quarters. We don’t live in a world where you can bring both in the box. Who is bringing a safety into the box on one-man sets?

Ryan: Nobody.

Kirwan: Zero people. You want to tell me during your dime look one of these guys or both of them are going to play up closer and different kind of guys playing behind them, maybe something creative there. But the world of two strongs, how are you going to line up and match up against guys with empty sets? Those are strong safeties, that’s how you see them? Good. No-back sets, one-back sets? It turns it into a dinosaur position. Nice if someone accommodates you with a two-man set and you want to play that game? Great. When I hear two strong safeties the only way I feel good about it is if the team is a two-back system and the quarterback is not a great thrower. And there’s not a lot of that in the NFL. So, I don’t know. I think Barron can play a little bit of deep stuff and I think Goldson is just going to have to get it. But quarterbacks will figure it out. They will figure out how to get you to fire a guy in the box when they want. I am more inclined the Drew Breeses of the world are going to come out there and play empty sets and one-back sets and isolate these guys.

Now this is a very interesting thought. It’s almost as if the Bucs are going to try to somehow coerce teams to play smashmouth football, and this is the wrong division to do that.

Maybe the Bucs figure Robin (Revis) will get thrown at so few times, he can help on coverage deep over the middle?

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=91463

--------------------

Does this defense have enough coverage on the back-end to hold up?

Maybe not.

« : July 17, 2013, 10:15:56 PM Durango 95 »

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #1 : July 17, 2013, 10:50:20 PM »

We will have to see everything played out. This is a completely different looking defensive team so the scheme may change a bit. The safeties are fine IMO. They will do their job and push each other.

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #2 : July 17, 2013, 10:54:26 PM »

I could see them playing Ahmad Black  alot to go with Barron and Goldson.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #3 : July 17, 2013, 11:40:08 PM »

I could see them playing Ahmad Black  alot to go with Barron and Goldson.

He played about 50% of the snaps last year, and I believe that he should see that number again. He did well when he was on the field.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
« #4 : July 18, 2013, 12:24:18 AM »

I think we will be using barron more as a linebacker type...and do a lot of rolling coverages...we shall see

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

« #5 : July 18, 2013, 02:40:02 AM »

No way should goldson be batman & revis robin. Other way around

Go Bucs

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #6 : July 18, 2013, 03:11:22 AM »

No way should goldson be batman & revis robin. Other way around

Not according to revis.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #7 : July 18, 2013, 08:23:07 AM »

Teammate speak.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

« #8 : July 18, 2013, 09:03:58 AM »

A pass rush would go a long way towards solving this alleged problem.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #9 : July 18, 2013, 09:12:31 AM »

What do  they know? Schiano almost won the Big East a few times.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #10 : July 18, 2013, 09:16:39 AM »

I don't see why no back/one back sets eliminate the strong safety. These guys are all athletes nowadays

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #11 : July 18, 2013, 09:18:39 AM »

Did Schiano take your lunch money again?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #12 : July 18, 2013, 09:32:03 AM »

Are you saying Schiano is a bully? I think we've heard that before.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #13 : July 18, 2013, 09:38:01 AM »

Are you saying Schiano is a bully? I think we've heard that before.
Lombardi was probably characterized as a bully at some point also. But once these kind of guys earn your respect by living what he's preaching players tend to realize that's the kind of guy I want leading me into battle.  I'm not saying that's how it plays out but it's better being a Buc fan right now than it has been in about a decade.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #14 : July 18, 2013, 09:45:58 AM »

I don't think Vince Lombardi would steal someone's lunch money.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Safeties May Get Picked On « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools