Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Safeties May Get Picked On « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

youngone

Hall of Famer
#75 : July 18, 2013, 05:52:52 PM

You two should place a wager on who can better navigate through the PFF website....

We all know what would happen.  Freddy loses, welches, and makes up a fantasy scenario where he never lost and welched.

The delusion is comical.

Lol.

*leans back, shoves popcorn in mouth*

"This should be good"
Lol

I think they should hug it out.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#76 : July 18, 2013, 05:58:40 PM

Didn't PFF analyze Goldsons snaps and it showed he played centerfield like 75% of the plays last year?  I think they are severely under rating his coverage skills just because he can hit.

Yeah, lol. I too keep reading articles with this notion that Goldson is a liability in coverage (can you believe one columnist wrote that  Eric Reid --  a rookie -- be an easy replacement for the departure of Goldson?), but I just don't see it. I've watched my fare share of 49ers games over the past couple of years and Dashon Goldson has always impressed me with his hard hitting & solid coverage. Sure he has made mistakes & had some bad games (most notably the Superbowl) but hasn't Ed Reed?
Don't go that far Ed Reed is/was a legend. Basically, there are at best 5 safeties who are really, really good in coverage and then there's everyone else. Goldson would be in the top of "everyone else". He's still pretty good but can get beat.

I am well aware of what Ed Reed is, that is why I used him to make my point. You see, even the greatest players make mistakes. Since Dashon Goldson made his latest errors on such a big stage, all of these national writers are over exaggerating his flaws in coverage. He is still a one of the most solid safeties in the NFL both in terms of coverage and the physicality of his game. Im very happy he is a Buc.
It's possible people are overreacting to one bad play in a big game against an elite player and you may be right he is one of the most well rounded safeties in the game; it was merely my point he's not the best of the best in coverage like contemporaries Weddle, Byrd, etc. That's all. Nothing to be ashamed of.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#77 : July 18, 2013, 06:15:02 PM

Check their stats??
Sorry, but PDs and INTs do not accurately show if a player is good/poor in coverage.

But they do show that they aren't as one-dimensional as they are made out to be.

Ok. Let's explore this for a sec.

With Barron, we are talking about 1 INT and 10 PDs. That is 11 total passing plays.
With Goldson, we are talking about 3 INTs and 11 PDs. That is 14 total passing plays.

Barron was on the field for 678 pass plays where he was back in coverage.
Goldson was on the field for 778 pass plays where he was back in coverage.

Barron had either an INT or a PD every 61.63 plays..or a little over 1.6% of the total plays in 2012.
Goldson had either an INT or a PD every 55.57 plays...or a little over 1.7% of the total plays in 2012.

So no, something that happens right around 1% of the players snaps is not a good representation of anything.
: July 18, 2013, 06:19:36 PM chace1986

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

gone

Hall of Famer
#78 : July 18, 2013, 06:23:30 PM

Something tells me that "Picking on" our safeties will end up looking like this:

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#79 : July 18, 2013, 06:26:27 PM

Come across the middle . We'll see who picks on who... You'll be pickin your teeth out of the grass.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#80 : July 18, 2013, 06:28:21 PM

resulting in a 15yd penalty..and an automatic...

First down.

gone

Hall of Famer
#81 : July 18, 2013, 06:40:10 PM

For spiking the player like Casey did?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#82 : July 18, 2013, 06:52:15 PM

On second thought...perfectly legal. Carry on, Mr. Barron.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#83 : July 18, 2013, 06:56:55 PM

Sometimes a 15 yarder is worth it to send the message that if you come across the middle you are going to maimed.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#84 : July 18, 2013, 07:20:58 PM

Didn't PFF analyze Goldsons snaps and it showed he played centerfield like 75% of the plays last year?  I think they are severely under rating his coverage skills just because he can hit.

Yeah, lol. I too keep reading articles with this notion that Goldson is a liability in coverage (can you believe one columnist wrote that  Eric Reid --  a rookie -- be an easy replacement for the departure of Goldson?), but I just don't see it. I've watched my fare share of 49ers games over the past couple of years and Dashon Goldson has always impressed me with his hard hitting & solid coverage. Sure he has made mistakes & had some bad games (most notably the Superbowl) but hasn't Ed Reed?
Don't go that far Ed Reed is/was a legend. Basically, there are at best 5 safeties who are really, really good in coverage and then there's everyone else. Goldson would be in the top of "everyone else". He's still pretty good but can get beat.

I am well aware of what Ed Reed is, that is why I used him to make my point. You see, even the greatest players make mistakes. Since Dashon Goldson made his latest errors on such a big stage, all of these national writers are over exaggerating his flaws in coverage. He is still a one of the most solid safeties in the NFL both in terms of coverage and the physicality of his game. Im very happy he is a Buc.

I saw a few 9er games last year and what we saw in the playoffs was a coverage mix-up. They disguise their coverage a lot and started using their corners in deep zone coverages. On the play i remember it looked like Goldson was supposed to have deep coverage and he thought the corner had deep responsibility.

It's a misunderstanding. It can happen to anyone it just so happens to have cost them a TD. That doesn't mean Goldson is bad in coverage. He just made a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes he just had millions of people watching his. It's no issue really. This was not something that he did regularly during the season.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#85 : July 18, 2013, 07:41:49 PM

Goldson is gonna be a baller. With Tandy and Black i wonder if they will be able to sit Barron down on some passing downs and go with Tandy Black in zone and let Goldson roam?

That's what I would like to see. That would be a much better use of a 3 safety set than Barron Goldson and Black IMO.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#86 : July 18, 2013, 08:06:43 PM

Sometimes a 15 yarder is worth it to send the message that if you come across the middle you are going to maimed.

While I do agree that it is important to have a reputation as a secondary that will knock a block off...I don't necessarily agree that a 15 yarder is always worth it. In that redskins game, Barron's 15 yarder not only allowed the drive to continue, but that drive went on to lead to 7 points in a game that was decided by 2. Was it a highly questionable call, yup....but most personal foul and pass interference calls are judgement calls. So there are guaranteed to be at least a call a game that is questionable with the audience. Point is, I don't agree that a 15 yarder is worth it.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#87 : July 18, 2013, 08:13:29 PM

While I do agree that it is important to have a reputation as a secondary that will knock a block off...I don't necessarily agree that a 15 yarder is always worth it. In that redskins game, Barron's 15 yarder not only allowed the drive to continue, but that drive went on to lead to 7 points in a game that was decided by 2. Was it a highly questionable call, yup....but most personal foul and pass interference calls are judgement calls. So there are guaranteed to be at least a call a game that is questionable with the audience. Point is, I don't agree that a 15 yarder is worth it.

For every time a 15 yarder may have be considered worth it, I'd guess there were 10-15 that certainly were not worth it if not more. The return on investment is just not there. I think B&G can knock a few skulls but keep it legit as well.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#88 : July 18, 2013, 08:29:01 PM

The 15 yarder against RGIII wasn't even deserved though. Clean hit.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#89 : July 18, 2013, 08:34:04 PM

This is why there needs to be some passrush.

If Schiano manufactures a passrush by running extra Blitzer, I think that might be good enough. Revis and Banks/wright should be able to cover well enough with a average passrush.
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Safeties May Get Picked On « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools