Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: He doesn't pick the winners and losers, he just picks the losers « previous next »
Page: 1 2

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#15 : July 21, 2013, 09:58:55 AM

I don't think one can/should separate the City/Region, the Democratic voters, the unions, the union workers, the other impacted unions, their members... from the subject.  (nor do I think Romney failed to consider the interrelationships) And that is my original point, standing next to your original point.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#16 : July 21, 2013, 02:31:19 PM

I don't think one can/should separate the City/Region, the Democratic voters, the unions, the union workers, the other impacted unions, their members... from the subject.  (nor do I think Romney failed to consider the interrelationships) And that is my original point, standing next to your original point.

Maybe it comes down to a word choice then, probably "infer" rather than "imply," because neither Romney nor Obama were discussing the city of Detroit:

"Of course, it should be noted that the flame war between Obama and Romney was over differing opinions on a bailout for the U.S. auto industry not over the bankruptcy of the actual city. Romney opposed an auto bailout in a November 2008 op-ed in the New York Times, which was memorably titled, "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/detroit-goes-bankrupt-mitt-romney-spokesman-2013-7#ixzz2Zhpzw8K9

I can see how one might  still link the two (your point), but there was no link between the Obama's comment in 2012 and the city of Detroit's bankruptcy (caradoc's point)

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#17 : July 21, 2013, 02:41:27 PM

Naturally, you are correct.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#18 : July 21, 2013, 02:41:32 PM

The auto bailout wasn't about it being a "massive industry".  The financial bailout could at least make that claim with something resembling a straight face (although I still opposed it).  The auto bailout was simply a transfer of wealth to Obama (Democrat) interest groups -- the unions.  There was no reason to completely abandon the rule of law like was done during that mess.  Absolutely disgraceful.

I don't think the bailout was a direct and intentional transfer of wealth, although it ended up that way. The goal was to prevent the Auto Companies from going bankrupt, because if they did, they would have annulled the Union Contracts.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: He doesn't pick the winners and losers, he just picks the losers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools