Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon confident « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 26

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#120 : July 24, 2013, 04:07:46 PM

Orlovsky might be fine if we had Aaron Rodgers as our starter . We don't . Why not get a guy with upside who can push Freeman , and who knows , maybe one day be a better option ??

Well that is fine and I actually agree....but then just say that. I keep seeing people claim we just drafted him to be a back up and it was a good pick.....which is nonsense. The Bucs think he is starter material, so if you support the pick then just own it. Not you as in "you" specifically, but all the folks that keep claiming it was a good pick because we needed a back up.
Exactly. No half-a$$ing "He was only a 3rd round pick!" if he sucks. Own it.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#121 : July 24, 2013, 04:07:48 PM

I support the strategy, but know little about the individual player.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#122 : July 24, 2013, 04:11:32 PM

The other thing is we jumped the gun and reached for him a full round before anyone else started drafting from this crop of QBs. I'm not saying we should or shouldn't have taken him in the 3rd...but the fact that we did shows that the Bucs wanted to make sure they got their guy. They think highly of him, and if he is never more than an average back up (or worse) then it was a bad pick. If you are someone who supports the pick, then you must think he is starter material as well. So go all in or don't go at all.

: July 24, 2013, 04:13:10 PM JDouble

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#123 : July 24, 2013, 04:26:48 PM

"If you are someone who supports the pick, then you must think he is starter material as well."

Once again, I support the strategy utilized but don't know much about the individual chosen, so I couldn't say if he was a good choice to implement that strategy. So, no, I don't have to go all in; remaining reasonable is still an option for me, even if you claim it isn't.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#124 : July 24, 2013, 04:29:39 PM

The other thing is we jumped the gun and reached for him a full round before anyone else started drafting from this crop of QBs. I'm not saying we should or shouldn't have taken him in the 3rd...but the fact that we did shows that the Bucs wanted to make sure they got their guy. They think highly of him, and if he is never more than an average back up (or worse) then it was a bad pick.
He was better than that bums drafted after him. Everyone else drafted after him wouldn't have been a good fit here and Glennon was probably the best arm talent in the draft.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#125 : July 24, 2013, 04:35:06 PM

The other thing is we jumped the gun and reached for him a full round before anyone else started drafting from this crop of QBs. I'm not saying we should or shouldn't have taken him in the 3rd...but the fact that we did shows that the Bucs wanted to make sure they got their guy. They think highly of him, and if he is never more than an average back up (or worse) then it was a bad pick. If you are someone who supports the pick, then you must think he is starter material as well. So go all in or don't go at all.
I personally don't care if Glennon was a 3rd or 4th rounder. If he can play, he'll have been worth a 1st rounder; if he sucks, he won't have been worth a 7th.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#126 : July 24, 2013, 04:38:57 PM

A vivid example of black and white thinking.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#127 : July 24, 2013, 04:48:44 PM

When it comes to drafting QBs it is black and white. 

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#128 : July 24, 2013, 05:05:29 PM

Around here, Mark Dominik gets praised for getting a 6th or 7th round pick for some loser he spent a second round pick on to begin with. One can only imagine the laurels bestowed upon him if he got a second rounder for Glennon somewhere down the line.

LOL , it would be Ring of Honor time.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#129 : July 24, 2013, 05:14:03 PM

I recall you claiming the success rate of 1st round QB's was 10-15%, but I don't at all recall you using any data to back it up (surprise, surprise). I'll mnake it easy. Here are the top 20 QBR's for 2012 and where those QB's came from:

1. Rodgers: 1st round
2. P. Manning: 1st round
3. Griffin: 1st round
4. Wilson: 3rd round
5. Ryan: 1st round
6. Brady: 6th round
7. Kaepernick: top of 2nd round
8. Roethlisberger: 1st round
9. Brees: top of 2nd round
10. Schaub: 3rd round
11. Romo: undrafted
12. Rivers: 1st round
13. Flacco: 1st round
14. Dalton: top of 2nd
15. E. Manning: 1st round
16. Newton: 1st round
17. Palmer: 1st round
18. Fitzpatrick: 7th round
19. Bradford: 1st round
20. Freeman: 1st round

Out of 20 players, 15 were drafted by the first few picks of the 2nd round, 2 were mid rounders, and 3 were late rounders or undrafted. If these are the odds you want to play, I guess you like gambling a lot.

How many of those guys play for the teams that drafted them? And how many picks did we have in recent years to also draft a guy like that on that list? How many teams that drafted those 'studs' had just a guy like D Orlovsky as their starter?
Sorry just waiting until next year and call a QB our future because we selected him in the 1st round does not sound smart at all. Apparently we have to look for QB elsewhere too.
: July 24, 2013, 05:17:37 PM QaZ

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#130 : July 24, 2013, 05:42:45 PM

Orlovsky might be fine if we had Aaron Rodgers as our starter . We don't . Why not get a guy with upside who can push Freeman , and who knows , maybe one day be a better option ??

Well that is fine and I actually agree....but then just say that. I keep seeing people claim we just drafted him to be a back up and it was a good pick.....which is nonsense. The Bucs think he is starter material, so if you support the pick then just own it. Not you as in "you" specifically, but all the folks that keep claiming it was a good pick because we needed a back up.

Who claims this? Another myth like anyone claiming Freeman as a unquestionable great franchise QB?

So far i just saw guys saying  Glennon at worst is backup...a backup to a BETTER QB. I say it again, we then have a BETTER QB. Without him we have no QB under contract for 2014. WE can still trade him, should we have a nice starter, as any other team with solid startes does aswell.

Glennon got drafted to be a starter one day, no one drafts career backup. This is even more true  when you do not even have one single starter at that specific position.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#131 : July 24, 2013, 06:57:43 PM

The thing I don't get is this idea by many that it was a good pick because we needed a good back up. This doesn't add up to me. There are always plenty of options for a veteran back up. There was nothing wrong with Dan the Man Orlovsky as our back up. You want your back up to be a veterna game manager that can get you through a game or two if need be. Not a rookie that has the ceiling of a good back up. No, you don't replace a veteran back QB with a rookie QB unless you think he something special. You don't spend a 3rd round pick on a career back up. The Bucs obviously feel Glennon has what it takes to be an eventual starter, or they would not have taken him in the 3rd round.

This is exactly what i cant comprehend. After they drafted him they talk about his huge arm and how he"fits the offense". But wait a minute. That's not what you want. A rookie QB comes in during week 14 and we are 10-3 and need one more win to get a playoff spot are you seriously running the same offense with the rookie? Hell no, you want an experienced backup who isn't going to fumble away the season and who is a good game manager.

So there are only 2 logical answers. Either no.1 the Bucs drafted him to be a backup and they are very stupid.
Or no.2 they drafted him as Freeman's replacement.

Drafting the kid as a backup was hopefully not the plan because that makes it a wasted pick.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#132 : July 24, 2013, 07:01:41 PM

then why in the world did the seahawks draft wilson?  why in the world did the redskins draft cousins?  the pats mallett?  the broncos osweiler?

the team sees long term potential in the guy and thought he was value in the 3rd.   its that simple. 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#133 : July 24, 2013, 07:18:10 PM

then why in the world did the seahawks draft wilson?  why in the world did the redskins draft cousins?  the pats mallett?  the broncos osweiler?

the team sees long term potential in the guy and thought he was value in the 3rd.   its that simple.

Exactly ....don't know why this is so confusing. It's only a bad pick if the guy sucks , but that same thing goes for ANY pick.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#134 : July 24, 2013, 07:36:36 PM

Exactly ....don't know why this is so confusing. It's only a bad pick if the guy sucks , but that same thing goes for ANY pick.

Because its not confusing, it's just another thing for some to gripe about.

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 26
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon confident « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools