Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon confident « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#45 : July 24, 2013, 08:24:48 AM

So much hate for the guy.  At worst we have a backup qb on the cheap that fits our offense.  That is fine for a 3rd.  Anything more than that and he's a steal.  Time will tell.
A guy who can't at least become a rotational player is not fine for a 3rd with me.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#46 : July 24, 2013, 08:29:31 AM

People around here forget how valuable a decent backup QB is , because Freeman never gets hurt.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#47 : July 24, 2013, 08:32:26 AM

Lose your starting QB you are pretty much screwed.  Back up QBs mean little.  Hell 1/3 if the starting QBs in this league suck and can't win games. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#48 : July 24, 2013, 08:33:09 AM

We also had an above average backup already. 

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#49 : July 24, 2013, 08:37:29 AM

Not true , if your starter is only out a few games and you have a backup that can at least be a decent caretaker , it can make the difference in salvaging a season.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#50 : July 24, 2013, 08:53:33 AM

Ok, accepting that premise wouldn't you want a guy with 7-8 years or so experience and has already been a starter and has won games over a raw rookie?  Especially considering they are pretty similar from a talent perspective.  Big, decent armed pocket passer...why assume Glennon has so  much more talent than Dan O?

youngone

Hall of Famer
#51 : July 24, 2013, 08:58:26 AM

Ok, accepting that premise wouldn't you want a guy with 7-8 years or so experience and has already been a starter and has won games over a raw rookie?  Especially considering they are pretty similar from a talent perspective.  Big, decent armed pocket passer...why assume Glennon has so  much more talent than Dan O?
Wasn't Russell Wilson a raw rookie last year going up against a guys with NFL experience that have started and won couple of games?

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#52 : July 24, 2013, 09:00:12 AM

So much hate for the guy.  At worst we have a backup qb on the cheap that fits our offense.  That is fine for a 3rd.  Anything more than that and he's a steal.  Time will tell.
A guy who can't at least become a rotational player is not fine for a 3rd with me.

We are talking QB here. There is not much rotation at QB, Glennon either is good enough to start or he maybe provides backup value for the case our starting QB gets hurt, hoepfully the statrer is good enough. I have no clue why anyone could think Dom&Schiano did NOT draft him with the intention to maybe start him one day, should he be good enough, should he show them what they though he could one day.
Right now Glennon is the starting QB for 2014,because Freeman is not under contract beyond 2013 and we have no clue which QB is available to us next year in the draft.
If Glennon just rides the bench week 1 of 2014, it is save to say somebody else is BETTER than him, does not worry me much. Without Glennon next years QB has no one to beat out. He would get the job by just being there, maybe he turns out to be great, but we all just can hope for. We can easily waste a 1st rounder and more in next yerars draft on a guy that is not good enough to be a 'rotational QB' either. The fact 1st rounders overall have a higher chance on becoming great does not help as anymore once he showed us to suck at QB. Not having a backup plan hurts the whole franchise.

Glennon is another desperated swing by Dom to end up with a great QB, better (cheaper?) than Freeman. The staff obviously likes Glennon. Anyone else needs to be liked by the staff aswell, else he is not going to get drafted by us, nor will we trade up for him. Almost anyone calls for competion, here we have some, but for some reason some call it a wasted pick.

If we end up with a great QB next year, who cares much about what we invested before? A great QB should be able to overcome the loss of a 3rd rounder within the next 10 years, we might still be able to trade him for some. Should Glennon and anyone else be busts, we got more issues than worrying about a 'wasted' 3rd rounder...we still have no QB. But isnt this what we are tying to get?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#53 : July 24, 2013, 09:13:17 AM

Wasn't Russell Wilson a raw rookie last year going up against a guys with NFL experience that have started and won couple of games?
So Glennon was drafted to be a Pro Bowl caliber starter, then?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#54 : July 24, 2013, 09:15:36 AM

No but Russell Wilson wasn't drafted to be that either.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#55 : July 24, 2013, 09:20:00 AM

I think Pete Carroll thought he was.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#56 : July 24, 2013, 09:23:28 AM

Russell was originally drafted as Flynn's backup.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#57 : July 24, 2013, 09:25:18 AM

So he waited till the 3rd round to grab the guy he thought was a Pro Bowl starting QB? Was he just being fair and giving everybody else a shot to grab him? I mean he did have the team already pony up and pay Matt Flynn.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#58 : July 24, 2013, 09:26:28 AM

Russell was originally drafted as Flynn's backup.
Shhhhhh.. He's the most logical poster here.

QaZ

Pro Bowler

#59 : July 24, 2013, 09:27:50 AM

I think both QBs were drafted because their teams thought they could...be pro bowl caliber Starters one day. The probability for was a bit lower than with 1st rounders, resulting in them getting picked in 3rd round, especially since all 32 teams define the 'draft value' of a prospect. SEA still went out and traded for Flynn, so apparently 3rd rounders are not considered the one any only answer for a teams with need at QB. We can still roll the dice in the 2014 draft and probably should,  but its an additional try then, not the only one.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon confident « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools