Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon confident « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#165 : July 25, 2013, 06:43:47 PM

Drafting a QB purley off college stats would be ridiculous. Anyone who watched them play could see there is clearly a huge difference.
i do agree with that, and i didnt pay much attention to both guys play in college.  is there a brief description (aside from running ability) that you would say is the difference?

Well, Tom O'Brien was going to bench Wilson in favor of Glennon.  That's different.

LOL
again, only becsuse Wilson was playing minor league baseball.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#166 : July 25, 2013, 09:33:21 PM

Well....his ability to move is a pretty huge part, but the guy exudes leadership. Go watch his college interviews and he sounds like Peyton Manning. He was able to transfer to Wisconsin and take that team to a whole new level in his first year in that offense, which shows great football intelligence and the ability to pick up an entirely new offense in a very short amount of time. A feat he repeated for the Seahawks after he was drafted. As far as on the field, in his final year he had 33 TDs to only 4 Interceptions. A 72% completion percentage, and he also ran for 6 TDs. Every scouting report you read on the guy said his football smarts and leadership ability was off the charts. The only negative against the guy, the only thing keeping him out of the top 5...is his height. I don't think teams will put so much stock into a QBs height anymore.

Anyways, Glennon has the big arm and outstanding height. So if he was anywhere near Russell Wilson's level....he would have been the #1 pick of this draft. He doesn't show that off the charts football smarts or the same leadership though. His on the field play is inconsistent. He makes very inaccurate passes out of no where. He makes bad decisions. He can look really good at times and can move around surprisingly well for a guy his size...but the wildly inconsistencies in his accuracy and decision making hurts him big time as a prospect. Kinda sounds like another QB I know.....
wisconsin was 11-2 the year before wilson, and the QB the year before also completed 72%.  did he really take the team to a new level?  i do agree he played very well his SR season.  but did wilson show the football smarts his JR year when he threw 14 INT's? 

i am not trying to state that glennon will light the world on fire...but i certainly see similarities.  ive also read nothing but positive reports on glennons work ethic and leadership.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Havok904

Pro Bowler

#167 : July 25, 2013, 09:49:26 PM

So much hate for the guy.  At worst we have a backup qb on the cheap that fits our offense.  That is fine for a 3rd.  Anything more than that and he's a steal.  Time will tell.

It's not really hate for Glennon. We (I) are upset about the Giants snatching the talented DLmen we needed to draft while we went and got Glennon.

If that's the case , you should be happy , because the Giants already have so much depth on the Dline they cant possibly keep them all. Those talented D-lineman will end up on the PS where Dom can do his patented steal.

That does have some truth to it :) Though I'd rather have Damontre Moore or Johnathan Hankins already drafted and here.

John Jenkins, the Nose Tackle  from Georgia,  was available...He's a big upgrade over Akeem Spence....We could have saved this QB experiment for the later rounds...Glennon was a 5th rounder on some boards... so why waste a pick on a practice squad guy...

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#168 : July 25, 2013, 10:07:55 PM

Well....his ability to move is a pretty huge part, but the guy exudes leadership. Go watch his college interviews and he sounds like Peyton Manning. He was able to transfer to Wisconsin and take that team to a whole new level in his first year in that offense, which shows great football intelligence and the ability to pick up an entirely new offense in a very short amount of time. A feat he repeated for the Seahawks after he was drafted. As far as on the field, in his final year he had 33 TDs to only 4 Interceptions. A 72% completion percentage, and he also ran for 6 TDs. Every scouting report you read on the guy said his football smarts and leadership ability was off the charts. The only negative against the guy, the only thing keeping him out of the top 5...is his height. I don't think teams will put so much stock into a QBs height anymore.

Anyways, Glennon has the big arm and outstanding height. So if he was anywhere near Russell Wilson's level....he would have been the #1 pick of this draft. He doesn't show that off the charts football smarts or the same leadership though. His on the field play is inconsistent. He makes very inaccurate passes out of no where. He makes bad decisions. He can look really good at times and can move around surprisingly well for a guy his size...but the wildly inconsistencies in his accuracy and decision making hurts him big time as a prospect. Kinda sounds like another QB I know.....
wisconsin was 11-2 the year before wilson, and the QB the year before also completed 72%.  did he really take the team to a new level?  i do agree he played very well his SR season.  but did wilson show the football smarts his JR year when he threw 14 INT's? 

i am not trying to state that glennon will light the world on fire...but i certainly see similarities.  ive also read nothing but positive reports on glennons work ethic and leadership.

That's because you are thinking logically , and not holding a grudge because Dom blew up your mock draft....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#169 : July 25, 2013, 11:21:15 PM

There was like 20 guys NOT on my list that I would have gladly taken over Glennon in the 3rd round. Has zero to do with my mock draft. That **CENSORED** is just for fun....at least it is for me.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#170 : July 26, 2013, 07:13:52 AM

John Jenkins, the Nose Tackle  from Georgia,  was available...He's a big upgrade over Akeem Spence....We could have saved this QB experiment for the later rounds...Glennon was a 5th rounder on some boards... so why waste a pick on a practice squad guy...

Another QB was picked before we had the chance again in 4th round. Since we rated Glennon over the rest, its quite reasonalbe to think another team would have picked Glennon instead of Barkley or even before him. 
We apparently got the guy we liked and we now want to cry about how we MAYBE picked him up one round too early? QB is the most important position in football and you want to go cheap here and maybe save a mid to late round pick?
Even if J Jenkins is a better NT than A Spence, he most likely wont save our season in 2014 and beyond when we might have no QB worth anything.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#171 : July 26, 2013, 07:54:19 AM

Glennon in no way shape or form fits Chip Kelly's offense.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#172 : July 26, 2013, 07:57:51 AM

Neither does Barkley

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#173 : July 26, 2013, 08:03:14 AM

And we knew in 3rd round (and know now )PHI would be(would have been) the only team drafting QB until our 4th round pick? Glennon and then Barkley off the board migth have altered other teams plans. Again we rated Glennon over the rest and it just needs one other teams to feel the same about them, not just one team like PHI that does not.

freddy

Hall of Famer

#174 : July 26, 2013, 08:37:31 AM

Another QB was picked before we had the chance again in 4th round. Since we rated Glennon over the rest, its quite reasonalbe to think another team would have picked Glennon instead of Barkley or even before him. 
We apparently got the guy we liked and we now want to cry about how we MAYBE picked him up one round too early? QB is the most important position in football and you want to go cheap here and maybe save a mid to late round pick?
Even if J Jenkins is a better NT than A Spence, he most likely wont save our season in 2014 and beyond when we might have no QB worth anything.

I'm sure John Jenkins was not rated too high on some draft boards either.  A 3-4 NT who is no threat as a pass rusher. Also has problems with consistancy and conditioning.  A fire plug in the middle that can occupy blockers, but not much else.  Sure, he could try and switch positions and play DT in a 4-3, but I just don't see the huge upside between him and Spence. To me it looks like both men can do the job of just plugging up the middle so others can make the play.  So if they both do the same thing, getting him for a 4th vice a 3rd is a better bargain right?

But hey, JJ is now manning the middle for the Saints, so we get to see twice a year how the two compare. It will be interesting to watch.

freddy

Hall of Famer

#175 : July 26, 2013, 08:39:18 AM

And we knew in 3rd round (and know now )PHI would be(would have been) the only team drafting QB until our 4th round pick? Glennon and then Barkley off the board migth have altered other teams plans. Again we rated Glennon over the rest and it just needs one other teams to feel the same about them, not just one team like PHI that does not.

Or another team also rated Glennon over the other QB's but selected another position since Glennon was gone.  Assuming that Glennon would have been there for the Bucs 4th pick is 100% a guess.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#176 : July 26, 2013, 08:52:14 AM

Impossible Freddy ! The red board didn't have GLennon ranked high. , that means no one did !

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#177 : July 26, 2013, 08:54:38 AM

I think John Jenkins is a big, fat, slow, lazy, bust. I'd take Glennon over him. I'm glad the Saints wasted a pick on him.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#178 : July 26, 2013, 09:03:44 AM

Or another team also rated Glennon over the other QB's but selected another position since Glennon was gone.  Assuming that Glennon would have been there for the Bucs 4th pick is 100% a guess.

Our original pick in the 4th was 112, until then Nassib and Wilson were gone aswell. Landy Jones just lasted 3 more picks. Sure we could have traded up as we did for Spence. But other teams interested in Glennon knew how much Glennon fits our system, as much as JD seem to know he does not fit PHI's.  This tells other teams of which team to stay infront of, TB. While we just know we could  maybe stay behind PHI...but what about the other 30 teams? Its not just 73-98 that worries me, already 98-112  would have been a 100% guess.

We really want to crying about how we maybe slightly reached for him? All this does not explain why we should not have picked a QB in this years draft anyway, when we have none for 2014 right now and no gurantees in next years draft either. We got the guy the staff obviously liked the most.
Sure we can argue about how another QB would have been a better pick. Personally i prefered Nassib. But we should allow Dom and Schiano to like and take the guy they think has the best chance to be a starter one day here aswell. Talking about how we would have been better off with a guy the staff less likes makes no sense to me...already now calling a QB in this years draft and Glennon in particular a wasted pick?

Next years 1st round will come down to who the staff likes the most aswell, not the guy you like the most or who is really a franchise QB not just a nice prospect. If you take bad QBs, everything is a waste, the pick and the team plagued by.
If Dom and Schiano can not evaluate QBs, a 1st rounder wont help us much.
: July 26, 2013, 09:13:06 AM QaZ

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#179 : July 26, 2013, 09:37:22 AM

Our original pick in the 4th was 112, until then Nassib and Wilson were gone aswell. Landy Jones just lasted 3 more picks. Sure we could have traded up as we did for Spence. But other teams interested in Glennon knew how much Glennon fits our system, as much as JD seem to know he does not fit PHI's.  This tells other teams of which team to stay infront of, TB. While we just know we could  maybe stay behind PHI...but what about the other 30 teams? Its not just 73-98 that worries me, already 98-112  would have been a 100% guess.

We really want to crying about how we maybe slightly reached for him? All this does not explain why we should not have picked a QB in this years draft anyway, when we have none for 2014 right now and no gurantees in next years draft either. We got the guy the staff obviously liked the most.
Sure we can argue about how another QB would have been a better pick. Personally i prefered Nassib. But we should allow Dom and Schiano to like and take the guy they think has the best chance to be a starter one day here aswell. Talking about how we would have been better off with a guy the staff less likes makes no sense to me...already now calling a QB in this years draft and Glennon in particular a wasted pick?

Glennon was a wasted pick because Freeman is going to kill it this year  :D  Wll say Glennon was my favorite after EJ out of this QB class. The similarities to Freeman are there, frustrating part is their flaws are correctable. A difference between the two that I haven't seen mentioned is Glennon is good with the intermediate throws and struggles with the deeper stuff just the opposite of Freeman. Really want to see Glennon play with some NFL talent because he didn't have much to work with at NC State, another similarity he shares with Freeman.

Page: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Glennon confident « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools