Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ‘Use my broken heart’ to change gun laws « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« : July 26, 2013, 08:10:01 PM »

The seemingly never ending victory celebration of the Zimmerman supporters may not only be misguided but short-lived as well. The pendulum in-time always swings the opposite way.
---------------------------------------

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) – The mother of slain teenager Trayvon Martin sharply criticized Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law in a speech on Friday, nearly two weeks after the man who shot her unarmed son was acquitted of murder charges.

“Wrap your mind around no prom for Trayvon,” Sybrina Fulton said in the 10-minute address to the annual conference of the National Urban League, a civil rights group.

“No high school graduation for Trayvon, no college for Trayvon, no grandkids coming from Trayvon, all because of a law that has prevented the person who shot and killed my son to be held accountable, and to pay for this awful crime. Trayvon was my son, but he is also your son,” she said.

On July 13, a jury in Seminole County, Florida, returned verdicts finding George Zimmerman, 29, not guilty of second-degree murder and manslaughter in the February 2012 death of Martin.

Critics contend that Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer who is white and Hispanic, racially profiled Martin when he followed the black teenager in a gated community in Sanford, Florida.

That led to a confrontation that resulted in Martin’s death.

Zimmerman claimed self-defense, saying he shot Martin as the 17-year-old pummeled him with blows and threatened to kill him.

Under the “Stand Your Ground” law, which was approved in Florida in 2005 and has been copied in some form by about 30 other states, people fearing for their lives can use deadly force without having to retreat from a confrontation, even when it is possible.

On Friday, Fulton urged a gathering of more than 1,000 Urban League members to work with her to change the state laws.

“My message to you is please use my story, please use my tragedy, please use my broken heart to say to yourself we cannot let this happen to anybody else’s child,” Fulton told the crowd, which gave her a standing ovation.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/26/trayvon-martins-mother-use-my-broken-heart-to-change-gun-laws/
« : July 26, 2013, 08:11:52 PM Durango 95 »

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
« #1 : July 26, 2013, 09:43:41 PM »

all because of a law that has prevented the person who shot and killed my son to be held accountable, and to pay for this awful crime.

She is certainly entitled and it was a tragic event all around but that's actually wrong . .  unless she means self-defense should be abolished

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #2 : July 26, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »

Suddenly he's discovered that his gun control crusade is no longer fashionable. 

Quaint.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #3 : July 26, 2013, 11:11:25 PM »

His subservience to the subtleties in law has now superseded his concern for all the shooting victims.

That's convenient.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #4 : July 26, 2013, 11:13:26 PM »

Better get busy, kid. Those boots aren't going to lick themselves.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
« #5 : July 26, 2013, 11:36:12 PM »

you are funny little loser . .  trying so hard all the time to attract attention

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #6 : July 27, 2013, 08:53:50 AM »

Meanwhile black on black murders were over 400 last year in Chicago alone while the nation focuses on a tragic murder of a 17 year old that just should have gone home rather than trying to be a thug wishing to beat up someone.   How any gun laws will prevent those 400 from happening seems very irrational and unreasonable.  Criminals don't obey laws that is why they are called criminals.  Passing laws does nothing to prevent them from remaining criminals.   Just curious if Trayvon had the gun and shot Zimmerman would there be an issue at all?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #7 : July 27, 2013, 09:15:44 AM »

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) – The mother of slain teenager Trayvon Martin sharply criticized Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law in a speech on Friday, nearly two weeks after the man who shot her unarmed son was acquitted of murder charges.

So this halfwit, who should have been tuned into every aspect of the trial, thinks SYG was used in Zimmerman's case?  And the remaining morons who are just as clueless will believe it too.

deadzone

Hall of Famer

« #8 : July 27, 2013, 09:28:23 AM »

Here's some more nonsense for ya........http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2564438801001/jay-z-boycotts-florida-but-cuba-is-okay/

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #9 : July 27, 2013, 10:15:48 AM »

So this halfwit, who should have been tuned into every aspect of the trial, thinks SYG was used in Zimmerman's case?  And the remaining morons who are just as clueless will believe it too.

I don't think the aforementioned "half-wit" is claiming this was a pure SYG case, But she is apparently speaking out against it. 

-----------------------------------

The single reference in the 27 pages of jury instructions to “Stand Your Ground” forms the basis of nearly all claims that the law was key to Zimmerman’s acquittal. The relevant language from the jury instructions is quoted below:

"If George Zimmerman was not engaged in an unlawful activity and was attacked in any place where he had a right to be, he had no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he reasonably believed that it was necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."

-----------------------------------------

Ironically enough if TM had shot Z in the following scenario then a SYG law may have been successfully utilized.

"“And people need to understand, he didn’t want that creepy ass **CENSORED** going to his father or girlfriend’s house to go get – mind you, his little brother was there,” Jenteal said. “You know – now mind you, I told you – I told Trayvon it might have been a rapist.

If that had been the case, and Martin indeed chose not to go home in order to protect his little brother, the “Stand Your Ground” law in Florida would have protected him by not requiring him to retreat in that situation. Rather than protecting the actions of Zimmerman, who the prosecution alleged was the aggressor, the state’s self-defense law would have provided protection for Martin if he had killed Zimmerman and could make a credible case that he was acting in self-defense and no choice but to use deadly force."

http://mediatrackers.org/florida/2013/07/22/no-george-zimmerman-wasnt-acquitted-because-of-floridas-stand-your-ground-law

These laws need to be reviewed and clarified.

« : July 27, 2013, 10:17:41 AM Durango 95 »

deadzone

Hall of Famer

« #10 : July 27, 2013, 10:41:16 AM »

I don't think the aforementioned "half-wit" is claiming this was a pure SYG case, But she is apparently speaking out against it. 

-----------------------------------

The single reference in the 27 pages of jury instructions to “Stand Your Ground” forms the basis of nearly all claims that the law was key to Zimmerman’s acquittal. The relevant language from the jury instructions is quoted below:

"If George Zimmerman was not engaged in an unlawful activity and was attacked in any place where he had a right to be, he had no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he reasonably believed that it was necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."

-----------------------------------------

Ironically enough if TM had shot Z in the following scenario then a SYG law may have been successfully utilized.

"“And people need to understand, he didn’t want that creepy ass **CENSORED** going to his father or girlfriend’s house to go get – mind you, his little brother was there,” Jenteal said. “You know – now mind you, I told you – I told Trayvon it might have been a rapist.

If that had been the case, and Martin indeed chose not to go home in order to protect his little brother, the “Stand Your Ground” law in Florida would have protected him by not requiring him to retreat in that situation. Rather than protecting the actions of Zimmerman, who the prosecution alleged was the aggressor, the state’s self-defense law would have provided protection for Martin if he had killed Zimmerman and could make a credible case that he was acting in self-defense and no choice but to use deadly force."

http://mediatrackers.org/florida/2013/07/22/no-george-zimmerman-wasnt-acquitted-because-of-floridas-stand-your-ground-law

These laws need to be reviewed and clarified.

Rick Scott reviewed the law......and the clarity is clear. No further action necessary at this point....

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #11 : July 27, 2013, 10:43:36 AM »

I'm not sure of your point.  Either this lady is erroneously fighting something that she believes to be used in the defense of Zimmerman (like the other ignoramuses, i.e. Stevie Wonder) or she is out to make $$$$ after the death of her kid.  Neither shows very well on the "parent" of young Martin.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #12 : July 27, 2013, 10:57:03 AM »

I'm not sure of your point.  Either this lady is erroneously fighting something that she believes to be used in the defense of Zimmerman (like the other ignoramuses, i.e. Stevie Wonder) or she is out to make $$$$ after the death of her kid.  Neither shows very well on the "parent" of young Martin.

Can't speak to her motives, Biggs.

I can only assume that she's not arguing that SYG was directly utilized in her case, yet recognizes the ambiguity will lead to further problems.

My point is this. This law allows a wide berth. It needs to be reexamined to see if it can be made more clear cut. It's already shown to have problems in the past and I don't see that changing and it will likely get worse. I'm all for self defense but this law smells like trouble.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #13 : July 27, 2013, 11:01:17 AM »

"Rick Scott reviewed the law......and the clarity is clear. No further action necessary at this point...."

Rick Scott is not the final arbiter on this and whether he feels or you feel that no action is necessary bears no impact on the matter.

deadzone

Hall of Famer

« #14 : July 27, 2013, 11:11:56 AM »

"Rick Scott reviewed the law......and the clarity is clear. No further action necessary at this point...."

Rick Scott is not the final arbiter on this and whether he feels or you feel that no action is necessary bears no impact on the matter.

Yes it does.....only Scott can call a special session to address this and he's refused to do so. Read this Durango.........it's real...

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/14859-florida-update-concealed-carry-permits-up-violent-crime-down
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ‘Use my broken heart’ to change gun laws « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools