Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Fantasy Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doug Martin proved it: the right rookie can carry your fantasy team « previous next »
Page: 1

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« : July 27, 2013, 09:14:14 PM »

I took a gamble on him in the third round. Though being mocked by my draft buddies, I took another flyer in the fifth. They were risky picks. Despite what team sources were saying, the truth is that neither were assured a full-time role. If they succeeded, I knew I’d have a solid chance to compete for the fantasy playoffs. If they were a bust, I’d be hearing it from the league mates the rest of the year. For the last pick, I chose a wide receiver, just to fill depth, though I expected him to land on the waiver wire within a week.

Drafting rookies for fantasy is hit-or-miss. It’s similar to how the NFL works. Most fizzle, some provide depth, but nothing earth-shattering. A select few make a true impact. When I drafted Trent Richardson in the third, Doug Martin in the fifth, and T.Y. Hilton in the final round, I was drafting on faith…faith that how they played in college would translate well to the NFL.

Each year, April’s NFL draft (next year, May, ugh!) is one of the highlights of the offseason. After the top picks, the head-scratchers, and draft-day trades, just about everyone has an opinion on their teams’ picks and how they will impact rosters going forward. The same can be said for fantasy analysis. The players that are drafted into favorable situations are the ones on everyone’s fantasy radar. Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III were obvious choices in 2012. But what about Russell Wilson, Alfred Morris, and Colin Kaepernick (who didn’t get his chance till week 10)?

There’s always going to be rookies who fly under the radar on draft day. All it takes is an injury to a starter (Kaepernick’s case), or a strong training camp for them to show coaches they offer more incentive than veteran players (Wilson, Morris). Here’s a list of guys to key an eye out for when drafting...

http://draftreport.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/fantasy-focus-rookies-to-target/

The writer has Eddie Lacy, Montee Ball, and a few others listed, but I don't know if anyone's going to pull off what Doug Martin and Alfred Morris did last year.  Only three rookie runners this century have recorded 1700+ yards from scrimmage, but it'll be interesting to watch, for sure.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

« #1 : August 09, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »

Montee Ball is the most likely imo, he's in an ideal situation, good team and not much competition. Arizona's backs are interesting, Taylor and Ellington I think will be really good, it's just so crowded with Mendenhall and Ryan Williams there also not sure how much playing time they will get. Bell and Bernard are in good situations also. Will be interesting to see who ends up the best out of this rookie rb class.

BucsOnDeck88

Pro Bowler

« #2 : August 14, 2013, 08:41:46 AM »

I currently have four fantasy teams on NFL.com's fantasy football. All of them are littered with Bucs players.

Its ok, Ive been here before... - Lovie Smith    ---------     Hes a great coach, hes been there before. - Lavonte David
Hes a great coach.  - Mike Evans
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Fantasy Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doug Martin proved it: the right rookie can carry your fantasy team « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools