Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A Possible Plan B ? ...If Demps Doesn't Join the Team This Season ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 04, 2013, 10:54:02 PM

Here's a list of events for the meet in Stockholm...
The events at DN Galan IAAF Diamond League 22 August 2013
Men: 200 m, 400 m, 1500 m, 3000 m Steeplechase, 110 m hurdles, Long Jump and Discus.

Women: 100 m, 800 m, 3000 m, 400 m hurdles, High Jump, Pole Vault, Triple Jump, Shot Put and Javelin.

Extra events: Women 400 m and Long Jump.

No 100m, no relays.

Zurich...

Men: 100m, 400m, 1500m, 3000m SC, 110m h, high jump, long jump, shot put*, discus throw.

Brussels...

men
200m
800m
5000m
400m hurdles
pole vault
triple jump
shot put
javelin throw

Only one event for him to run in those 3 meets.  Since they've been saying mid-August, I doubt he goes to Zurich.

There's a non Diamond League 100m at the Brussels meet. That's 2 of the 3. Plus there are other meets in Europe during the 3 weeks after the WC's.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#31 : August 04, 2013, 10:55:49 PM

How good of a returner is Demps that the Bucs would consider him Plan A? I don't follow much college football, so I don't know if he's a can't miss guy.

Demps was a... decent... kick returner in college.  Didn't do a whole lot of it, really, and has only one career special teams touchdown because of it.  But he'd immediately be the fastest man in the league.  He ran a 4.26 forty-yard dash, which is a tad slower than Chris Johnson's 4.24, but if his 100-meter time is any indicator, he'd be the fastest man from goal line to goal line.  And that'd make anyone a formidable kick returner.

Trindon Holiday's 100m PR is a hundredth faster than Demps.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#32 : August 04, 2013, 11:03:59 PM

Exactly.   But one thing happened in his favor recently. A few guys got busted for PED's.  Moving Demps up the list of the fastest guys.

One American in Tyson Gay.  Plus one guy ahead of him in the 100m...Isaiah Young..... doesn't have to be put in the relay pool because he's running the 200m making him eligible for the relay. Trell Kimmons was injured. Demps has a better history than Calesio Newman and Diondre Batson. That's how he ended up in the relay pool from being out of the final at USATF.

I think he'll end doing what he did at the Olympics and run the heats.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#33 : August 04, 2013, 11:06:45 PM

when is the track season over?

It already is, but the World Championships are going on in Moscow Aug 10-18.   He is a free man after that.

Three of the biggest meets of any year....Stockholm, Zurich and Brussels...are after the World Championships and there are other meets as well. This would go through Sept. 6th. Now as to whether Demps would be invited to run in those meets is another question. It's possible that a winning or second place relay finish could get him in to those meets. I wouldn't be shocked by a "decision has been pushed back to early September declaration by the World Championships or stating he'll report mid September. On the other hand, he could also not be selected to run at all...particularly if Isaiah Young is chosen instead and Demps immediately report to the Bucs.

Frankly, the fact that there still needs to be a decision at all should raise some questions. If it simply were a question of reporting as soon as his sprinting season concluded he'd simply state that and leave the date open. To this point, he appears to have not even given a decision as to whether he'll play at all.

Good points, but as you mentioned, he is not a lock to attend those events.  He is not even a lock to run in Moscow. He is part of the mens 100 meter relay pool.  I believe there are about 8 guys in the pool, for 4 spots.

6 in the pool with anyone else on the team in another event eligible.

I agree that he could not run however, if he was committed to playing football this season as a definite, I think he'd have said to the Bucs I'll be there on such and such a date after the WCs. The fact that he hasn't done that makes me wonder.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#34 : August 04, 2013, 11:41:26 PM

How good of a returner is Demps that the Bucs would consider him Plan A? I don't follow much college football, so I don't know if he's a can't miss guy.

Demps was a... decent... kick returner in college.  Didn't do a whole lot of it, really, and has only one career special teams touchdown because of it.  But he'd immediately be the fastest man in the league.  He ran a 4.26 forty-yard dash, which is a tad slower than Chris Johnson's 4.24, but if his 100-meter time is any indicator, he'd be the fastest man from goal line to goal line.  And that'd make anyone a formidable kick returner.

According to a few sources I Googled, Holliday ran a 9.98 in the 100 meter, but Demps ran a 9.96.  They'd finish within a fart's distance of each other, but I haven't seen any reports of Holliday eclipsing 9.96.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#35 : August 04, 2013, 11:50:37 PM

Who cares? He's a track star...not a football player. He's not in football shape. He hasn't played football in over two years. He chose track over football. First time he gets hit he'll be on IR.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#36 : August 05, 2013, 12:02:46 AM

I'd imagine everyone posting about him cares a little bit.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#37 : August 05, 2013, 12:07:47 AM

According to a few sources I Googled, Holliday ran a 9.98 in the 100 meter, but Demps ran a 9.96.  They'd finish within a fart's distance of each other, but I haven't seen any reports of Holliday eclipsing 9.96.

Neither Demps nor Holliday has run under 10.00 legally. Holliday's legal PR is 10.00. Demps is 10.01.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#38 : August 05, 2013, 12:15:51 AM

What does that mean?

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#39 : August 05, 2013, 12:50:12 AM

What does that mean?

A legal time is a non wind aided time and no true track guy would use a wind aided time to list as a PR. In addition, most track fans dismiss altitude aided times.

Legally....Trindon Holliday has run 10 flat. Jeff Demps and Jacoby Ford have run 10.01.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#40 : August 05, 2013, 01:23:52 AM

Cool, thanks.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#41 : August 05, 2013, 01:49:24 AM

Rainey hasn't been given another chance because the Steelers drafting him was his second chance. He was a **CENSORED** up in college too.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#42 : August 05, 2013, 08:26:12 PM

when is the track season over?

It already is, but the World Championships are going on in Moscow Aug 10-18.   He is a free man after that.

Three of the biggest meets of any year....Stockholm, Zurich and Brussels...are after the World Championships and there are other meets as well. This would go through Sept. 6th. Now as to whether Demps would be invited to run in those meets is another question. It's possible that a winning or second place relay finish could get him in to those meets. I wouldn't be shocked by a "decision has been pushed back to early September declaration by the World Championships or stating he'll report mid September. On the other hand, he could also not be selected to run at all...particularly if Isaiah Young is chosen instead and Demps immediately report to the Bucs.

Frankly, the fact that there still needs to be a decision at all should raise some questions. If it simply were a question of reporting as soon as his sprinting season concluded he'd simply state that and leave the date open. To this point, he appears to have not even given a decision as to whether he'll play at all.

Good points, but as you mentioned, he is not a lock to attend those events.  He is not even a lock to run in Moscow. He is part of the mens 100 meter relay pool.  I believe there are about 8 guys in the pool, for 4 spots.

6 in the pool with anyone else on the team in another event eligible.

I agree that he could not run however, if he was committed to playing football this season as a definite, I think he'd have said to the Bucs I'll be there on such and such a date after the WCs. The fact that he hasn't done that makes me wonder.

Good info, thanks for posting.   I am holding out hope he joins the team.  We need a spark in the return game big time.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A Possible Plan B ? ...If Demps Doesn't Join the Team This Season ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools