Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I hope Gruden has learned his lesson « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucHarbour

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 23, 2006, 07:10:48 AM

With kickers a lot of it is mental and Bryant seems to have had a mental block on most of his kicks this year. Maybe this is the one that gets him out of that train of thought, and makes him believe in himself again. We'll see. I know I'm certainly hoping we can rely on him again, because it sucks not being able to get some points when you drive into enemy territory.

>>Ugh.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 23, 2006, 07:17:56 AM

One 62 yarder to win a game doesn't make him one of the most prolific kickers in the league. It ain't always about the didtance but the accuracy.  I think dude is still below .500 on the year.  I love Matt to death.  Helped me punk a few eagle fans in the parking lot!!!  However, I think JG has been made the right calls on when to and when not to kick...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#17 : October 23, 2006, 07:26:17 AM

Let's face it, we all held out hope before the snap.....but anyone who says they were confident Bryant would make that kick is a liar!!!!!!!!!

I thought he had no chance in hell of making it. :o

Bryant had shown nothing to suggest he could hit a FG over 50 yards. I have watched him warming up and his leg strength was pathetic. His kick offs usually land between the 10 and 20 yard lines, and all of a sudden he bangs two out of the endzone today. ???

lets hope this is the start of a long career with the Buccs.

Exacty

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 23, 2006, 07:42:38 AM

I was at the game and Bryant's 62 yard kick was toward the north end zone where the pirate ship sits.   All game long, the kickoffs from both kickers were going either out of the end zone or at least into the end zone on that side of the field.   I didn't feel any wind, but there must have been something adding to the kicks to that side of the field sunday.   I've never seen so many kickoffs go out of the end zone at a Bucs game.   Usually you see them drop at about the 5 yard line.   Maybe that intense heat had something to do with it, I'm not sure.   I'm thrilled Bryant made that kick!   But I don't think we need to be trying any field goals over 52 yards unless it's an emergency.

#19 : October 23, 2006, 08:11:39 AM

At the point in the game where Gru punted, it WAS the right call.  The Bucs were still up in the game at the time and the idea was to pin the Eagles back deep.  If the FG is missed, Philly has it near mid-field.  Was the ABSOLUTE correct call in that situation.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 23, 2006, 08:16:03 AM

At the point in the game where Gru punted, it WAS the right call. The Bucs were still up in the game at the time and the idea was to pin the Eagles back deep. If the FG is missed, Philly has it near mid-field. Was the ABSOLUTE correct call in that situation.

No question...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 23, 2006, 08:17:19 AM

At the point in the game where Gru punted, it WAS the right call. The Bucs were still up in the game at the time and the idea was to pin the Eagles back deep. If the FG is missed, Philly has it near mid-field. Was the ABSOLUTE correct call in that situation.

agreed

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

#22 : October 23, 2006, 08:19:21 AM

To think Gruden made a mistake by punting is downright ludicrous.  It's all about situations folks.

When Bryant was sent out to attempt the 62-yarder, THAT was the ONLY option.  4 seconds to go and down by a point, the FG attempt has a far better chance of making it than a Hail Mary.

Think people....THINK!!!!!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 23, 2006, 08:51:44 AM

I'd like to see Bidwell practicing some 50+ FGs

bveghte

Pro Bowler
#24 : October 23, 2006, 09:04:47 AM

When Gruden chose not to go for the 52-yard field goal before the half and chose to punt instead, Philly drove down to our 2 yard line and RAN OUT OF TIME. That saved us 7 points!!! How can anyone say we should have gone for the long field goal; if we had missed it Philly would have almost certainly scored on the short field, and the odds of Bryant making that were probably 20%.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#25 : October 23, 2006, 09:07:27 AM

Why???? Has he ever kicked FG's? Just because other teams have punters who can kick FG's, doesn't mean all Punters can kick them.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#26 : October 23, 2006, 09:15:30 AM

Trying a 50+ field goal to win the game is a completely different beast than attempting it as a matter of course, especially against what was deemed the best offense in the NFL up until that point in time. To suggest otherwise is in itself assInine.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#27 : October 23, 2006, 09:24:51 AM

it's a field position play. you're talking about situations early in the game where you have to choose between a low percentage FG or riding your punter & defense and trusting them to give you a better shot with an exchange of punts.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 23, 2006, 09:27:09 AM

it's a field position play. you're talking about situations early in the game where you have to choose between a low percentage FG or riding your punter & defense and trusting them to give you a better shot with an exchange of punts.

It is also helping out your defense that is struggling becuase a short field makes it harder on the defense.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 23, 2006, 09:32:11 AM

Why???? Has he ever kicked FG's? Just because other teams have punters who can kick FG's, doesn't mean all Punters can kick them.

I know that, that's why I would like to see him try it in practice.  We know he's got a damn strong leg.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I hope Gruden has learned his lesson « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools