Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Real Fan. No Troll. Start Glennon. Really. « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#165 : August 17, 2013, 01:59:17 PM

How about a guy who can convert more than just 30% of 3rd downs. Which, btw was good enough to beat 4 other QBs last year

10lbbass

Hall of Famer

#166 : August 17, 2013, 02:50:32 PM

You guys make it hard to be a  bucs fan. Yes lets make or decision on 2 meaning less preseason games without knowing the game plan,  real practice, and what goes down in the meeting rooms. yes lets start glennon because he looks good playing 2 quarters against 2nd and 3rd string guy.

You are so right.  It's our fans, particularly the ones on this board, that make being a Bucs fan difficult.  Freeman is not the problem and never has been.  Anyone calling for a rookie to come in and replace the QB that set all of our offensive records last year is so shortsighted and knows little about the game.  Here's what I know about Mike Glennon - he's a stiff wind away from getting injured.  He needs 25 lbs of muscle and at least a year of learning.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#167 : August 17, 2013, 02:53:33 PM

"A defense that's not last in the league in nearly everything." 

Then he should go be a caretaker for a defensive minded team. Judged independently of the defense, Josh is little better than average overall. That will not be sufficient to fulfill the role this team requires of its QB. The defense excuse is insufficient. Even if the defense is improved, we don't have the money to make them elite, so the offense will have to be. If Josh can't make that happen, it's time to move on.

Won't be this year, though.

"And I'm not about to give up on Freeman after a couple of preseason games. I don't think the coaching staff will either."

People whose jobs are on the line tend to be more prudent in these decisions. Unless Freeman really stinks it up or Glennon is Spawn Of Marino, we won't see Glennon until next year. Best for all involved if Freeman plays himself into a nice contract somewhere else and Glennon turns out to be even better. Of course, two preseason outings hasn't convinced me of this, in fact, it hasn't changed my mind about either player as of yet. But it is nice to see Glennon doing well.

And though I have greatly enjoyed the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth accompanying the first two preseason games, I'm even more looking forward to the claims of vindication and proclamations of triumph when Freeman has a decent game and Glennon doesn't.

It's like studying a tribe of baboons that worship Java in some strange ritual.
: August 17, 2013, 02:55:09 PM Von Mises

muvlodge

Pro Bowler
#168 : August 17, 2013, 02:55:27 PM

You guys make it hard to be a  bucs fan. Yes lets make or decision on 2 meaning less preseason games without knowing the game plan,  real practice, and what goes down in the meeting rooms. yes lets start glennon because he looks good playing 2 quarters against 2nd and 3rd string guy.

I think last night opened a lot of our eyes about what is really going on at One Buc. Basically, the Freeman era is over.   It is clear that with them selecting Glennon where they did in the draft and how they are using him in practice/preseason games that they want to know what this guy can handle.  Why would they do this if they were grooming him to be a back up to josh???  Normally they would just let him get his usual reps and soak up as much as he can little by little.  Instead they are leaving him in there for almost the entire game and they are letting him pass the ball quite often and quite deep.  I may be wrong but I would not be surprised at all if they were to name him the starter after week 4 if Freeman plays badly after 4 games.  This is basically a cram session to try and get him to swallow as much of the playbook as possible.  This is definitely the guy to do it.  I think we have a poor man's Matt Ryan.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#169 : August 17, 2013, 02:55:55 PM

You are so right.  It's our fans, particularly the ones on this board, that make being a Bucs fan difficult.  Freeman is not the problem and never has been.  Anyone calling for a rookie to come in and replace the QB that set all of our offensive records last year is so shortsighted and knows little about the game.  Here's what I know about Mike Glennon - he's a stiff wind away from getting injured.  He needs 25 lbs of muscle and at least a year of learning.

I couldn't watch the game last night but I followed it on the board.  i assumed I'd turn it on this morning and see Freeman implode by the way some of these guys were talking.  He got sacked 3 times.  2 were certainly not his fault and even the one where everyone said he held it too long was borderline.  The guy got ridden behind him and he stepped up just like he's supposed to.  The guy just got an arm out.  It happens.  He hit Ogletree right in his hands on third and long.  He did his job and honestly I thought he looked fine.  I don't know what these people are talking about except that it's clear they can't contain themselves and completely overreact in the moment.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#170 : August 17, 2013, 03:18:32 PM

I think last night opened a lot of our eyes about what is really going on at One Buc. Basically, the Freeman era is over.   It is clear that with them selecting Glennon where they did in the draft and how they are using him in practice/preseason games that they want to know what this guy can handle.  Why would they do this if they were grooming him to be a back up to josh???  Normally they would just let him get his usual reps and soak up as much as he can little by little.  Instead they are leaving him in there for almost the entire game and they are letting him pass the ball quite often and quite deep.  I may be wrong but I would not be surprised at all if they were to name him the starter after week 4 if Freeman plays badly after 4 games.  This is basically a cram session to try and get him to swallow as much of the playbook as possible.  This is definitely the guy to do it.  I think we have a poor man's Matt Ryan.

Bottom line is they are just covering all their bases like any smart front office, coaching staff and owner would do. Freeman is gonna ask the Glazers to open up their checkbook to the tune of $100+ million after this season. Beyond QB, that kind of financial commitment will effect the well-being of the entire franchise for a half a decade or longer.....especially if they guess wrong (e.g. Jets Sanchez contract). Honestly, if you were the Glazers, would you sign that check after seeing the ups and downs of Josh Freeman over the past 4 1/2 years or would you find a cheap, reasonable facsimile and commit your team's financial resources elsewhere?

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#171 : August 17, 2013, 03:44:27 PM

Bottom line is they are just covering all their bases like any smart front office, coaching staff and owner would do. Freeman is gonna ask the Glazers to open up their checkbook to the tune of $100+ million after this season. Beyond QB, that kind of financial commitment will effect the well-being of the entire franchise for a half a decade or longer.....especially if they guess wrong (e.g. Jets Sanchez contract). Honestly, if you were the Glazers, would you sign that check after seeing the ups and downs of Josh Freeman over the past 4 1/2 years or would you find a cheap, reasonable facsimile and commit your team's financial resources elsewhere?

I can absolutely agree with this. If you're not sold that Freeman is your guy then you're an idiot not to have a backup plan. If Freeman blows up, awesome. If not, we're not starting completely from scratch next year.

Havok904

Pro Bowler

#172 : August 17, 2013, 03:44:55 PM

"A defense that's not last in the league in nearly everything." 

Then he should go be a caretaker for a defensive minded team. Judged independently of the defense, Josh is little better than average overall. That will not be sufficient to fulfill the role this team requires of its QB. The defense excuse is insufficient. Even if the defense is improved, we don't have the money to make them elite, so the offense will have to be. If Josh can't make that happen, it's time to move on.

Won't be this year, though.

"And I'm not about to give up on Freeman after a couple of preseason games. I don't think the coaching staff will either."

People whose jobs are on the line tend to be more prudent in these decisions. Unless Freeman really stinks it up or Glennon is Spawn Of Marino, we won't see Glennon until next year. Best for all involved if Freeman plays himself into a nice contract somewhere else and Glennon turns out to be even better. Of course, two preseason outings hasn't convinced me of this, in fact, it hasn't changed my mind about either player as of yet. But it is nice to see Glennon doing well.

And though I have greatly enjoyed the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth accompanying the first two preseason games, I'm even more looking forward to the claims of vindication and proclamations of triumph when Freeman has a decent game and Glennon doesn't.

It's like studying a tribe of baboons that worship Java in some strange ritual.

lol...you nailed it...

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#173 : August 17, 2013, 04:00:18 PM

For those suggesting trading Freeman ...to who ? Which team is going to want to start over with a new QB this late in camp.

I dont think even the Raiders are stupid enough to try that.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#174 : August 17, 2013, 04:03:47 PM

For those suggesting trading Freeman ...to who ? Which team is going to want to start over with a new QB this late in camp.

We're talking about the team who traded 2 first rounders for Carson Palmer...you wanna bet?

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#175 : August 17, 2013, 04:11:25 PM

We're talking about the team who traded 2 first rounders for Carson Palmer...you wanna bet?

I'm not sure, but was al still around when they did that?

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#176 : August 17, 2013, 04:48:05 PM

Be more consistent which is possible. He was top 10 in TDs and yards last year if he is able to put more of the good plays out there that he's been capable of more consistently then I'd say he deserves to be our starter. But that's Freeman for you. We will have to see how he does because he's going to get the shot I think whether we like it or not.

If we have a chance to get a better QB than Freeman, it does not even matter whether Freeman would be the 2nd best in TDs, yards etc.

But aslong no one better is available to us, its pointless to argue about him being good, bad, consistent or whatever.A BETTER QB is what we are looking for. Should Glennon be better, than he is the starter here, even if Glennon is just 9th in TDs, yards etc

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#177 : August 17, 2013, 04:51:33 PM

LOL @ this epic meltdown by MUSCLE_HAMSTER.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#178 : August 17, 2013, 05:22:11 PM

Maybe the Bucs should let Clayborne have one more crack at Brady's knee. The Pats have been willing trade partners with the Bucs of late (e.g. Talib, Blount)

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#179 : August 17, 2013, 06:00:30 PM

LOL @ this epic meltdown by MUSCLE_HAMSTER.
yup.

OUR starting QB everybody!
How about a guy who can convert more than just 30% of 3rd downs. Which, btw was good enough to beat 4 other QBs last year

Page: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Real Fan. No Troll. Start Glennon. Really. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools