Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Illusion that Pre-season Means Anything « previous next »
Page: 1

10lbbass

Hall of Famer

: August 17, 2013, 06:00:05 PM

Every pre-season fans gather around and watch their teams and every pre-season we fool ourselves into thinking that position battles are being won, that we may have found something in one player or another and the reality is pre-season never really means a whole lot and it never will.  There are few examples of unknown players (players taken in the first few rounds or players that were traded for) lighting it up in the pre-season then continuing that during the regular season.   Our team is set outside of a few depth positions and it has been for quite some time.  Really, coaches are a lot like us as fans.  They pray that there key players stay healthy and they wish to God that the regular season would start as soon as possible. Even what happens in a pre-season game where our starters are vs. their starters nothing is being shown and would be played completely different if this was a real game.  Relax on bashing our first team too much, I think we are going to be pretty good.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 17, 2013, 06:09:03 PM

I smell...logic.

....attack!

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

BucsOnDeck88

Pro Bowler

#2 : August 17, 2013, 07:25:02 PM

Every pre-season fans gather around and watch their teams and every pre-season we fool ourselves into thinking that position battles are being won, that we may have found something in one player or another and the reality is pre-season never really means a whole lot and it never will.

Thank the NFL's marketing team for that one.

Its ok, Ive been here before... - Lovie Smith    ---------     Hes a great coach, hes been there before. - Lavonte David
Hes a great coach.  - Mike Evans

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 17, 2013, 08:25:31 PM

Five years ago, I would've agreed with you.  But in 2009, after watching everyone abuse Sabby Piscatelli and our defense for a ton of long preseason touchdowns, and then watching the reruns in the regular season... I'm inclined to disagree.

A lot of stuff gets blown out of proportion in the preseason, but if your players are making stupid mistakes in August, there's a decent chance they'll be making stupid mistakes in September.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 17, 2013, 08:30:12 PM

Preseason or regular season doesn't matter in certain aspects of evaluation. Glennon shows he will scan the field, take a hit, stand tall in the pocket, get rid of the ball when necessary, make accurate throws, showed his arm strength. None of those will differ from preseason to regular season. That is what people don't seem to comprehend.

tog

Pro Bowler
#5 : August 17, 2013, 09:28:01 PM

Five years ago, I would've agreed with you.  But in 2009, after watching everyone abuse Sabby Piscatelli and our defense for a ton of long preseason touchdowns, and then watching the reruns in the regular season... I'm inclined to disagree.

A lot of stuff gets blown out of proportion in the preseason, but if your players are making stupid mistakes in August, there's a decent chance they'll be making stupid mistakes in September.

I think that's more a case of hindsight bias. I mean, I saw Victor Cruz score 3 TDs in a pre-season game a few years ago (4 that pre-season). He turned out to be a stud. Same year, Brandon James had 3 pre-season TDs. And you're asking yourself, Brandon who?

Sometimes a team/player is going to do great in the pre-season and then great in the regular season (or vice versa). I don't think that the pre-season helps much though in predicting (I mean in the 2012 pre-season the 30th and 31st offences were the Patriots and Bucs - who were 4th and 10th in the regular season).

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 17, 2013, 09:47:19 PM

Its pretty clear that vets knock the rust off and rookies learn and get evaluated trying to make the team.

Vanilla offense, Vanilla defense.   Work on timing and hit someone else.  Don't evaluate the season on it.

Schiano has said this time and again...

////

And the NFL WANTS you to treat them like regular games so we'll pay for the tickets ...

Anybody remember when these games were called 'exhibition' games?   You won't
Hear that anymore...

2 preseason and 18 regular season games will become a reality.  Bet both of those games
Will be just for evaluating rooks, period.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Bucsfan x

Pro Bowler
#7 : August 17, 2013, 10:38:40 PM

2 weeks from now, nobody will remember the Pats game.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 17, 2013, 10:44:32 PM

Right, BF.

Not after we win the first three games. Only the weak-minded or uneducated are worried over preseason play.

I honestly don't care if the score is 40-0 in every PS game, as long as they learned some things about their players and rework the system to better suit them.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : August 17, 2013, 11:01:47 PM

It is how the management (and coaching) agree to operate in pre-season.  Dominick (from the G2G) and Schiano (from what he says about this year's plan for preparation at Buccaneers.com) seem to not paying much attention to the pre-season games.  Now it is entirely possible they are misleading the fan base, but if they are their duet is pretty damned well scripted and errorless in its' presentation.  We will see....

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

ufcguy32

Starter

#10 : August 17, 2013, 11:51:01 PM

i guess greg is so much smarter than bill belicheck. that guy has his offense working on all cylinders.....even that "vanilla" offense literally beat the crap out of us.  i guess greg wants the whole league to think josh cant make a first down and gets sacked every play.....then magically in the regular season he lights it up and we score 40 points a game and josh hits every receiver. a brilliant diversion!!!!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#11 : August 17, 2013, 11:54:49 PM

Lather Rinse Repeat.

10lbbass

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 18, 2013, 11:47:25 AM

i guess greg is so much smarter than bill belicheck. that guy has his offense working on all cylinders.....even that "vanilla" offense literally beat the crap out of us.  i guess greg wants the whole league to think josh cant make a first down and gets sacked every play.....then magically in the regular season he lights it up and we score 40 points a game and josh hits every receiver. a brilliant diversion!!!!

Look, I know you are being sarcastic here but our offense is good enough for three to four TD's a game.  That was proven last season in the first year of Sullivan's offense.  With year two looming I suspect we will be as good if not slightly better from a scoring production standpoint.  It's not about our offense right now, it's about our defense and our defense alone.  If we can improve our pass defense to the middle of the pack from a yards allowed standpoint we will be knocking on playoffs door.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Illusion that Pre-season Means Anything « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools