Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The big red "X", Fun, Freestration and You « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

gone

Hall of Famer
: August 19, 2013, 05:23:26 PM

OK, so we are currently completely overwhelmed by trolls.  This is not the fault of the trolls.  Much like chumming the waters, the ridiculous level of engagement you give them is what feeds them.  And word spreads and more come to the trough.  You all wanted Java gone, but Java was never the problem.  Your inability to discipline yourselves and not feed the trolls was the problem. Ever watch Star Wars? "If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"?  Well congrats, you did it.  Instead of one personality invested in a decade+ old screen name and rep, we have a swarm that isn't even trying to be stylish any longer.

The first thing you need to do is identify the trolls.  Not everyone who disagrees with you is a troll.  There are quite a few new usernames around here that popped up when, after game two, there was going to clearly be lots of feeding opportunities.  Whether the names are the same person or copycats is irrelevant.  I won't name the names but you know who they are.  They are all also pushing a "start Glennon now" campaign, so that is a nice tribal marker.  However, not everyone who is saying start Glennon now is a troll.  Many are just having some good-natured fun with this year's "ride the wave".  Some are serious (I am somewhat sympathetic to this viewpoint, but not ready to jump on that wagon just yet, but I certainly understand their Freestration.  Four years of teasing and failure and collapse will test anyone's patience).

You can differentiate between these groups easily if you dial back on the emotion.  Look for details or lack thereof.  Try to dig through the red haze of your nerd rage and remember whether these posters ever posted anything else. Make a list of the ones you think didn't.

Have you done that?
Have you made a list?
A list of trolls?

Good job.  And I know you are thinking "now what? What good is it to know their names?" I know that you are powerless in the grip of these malign creatures.  That you have lost your free will and simply must respond every time you see their sinister whispers printed on the computer screen.  But as our ancestors knew, there is great power in knowing the names of things.  And knowing their names you can counter their diabolical magics with one of your own, the spell of the BIG RED X.  I share this secret with you only because of the sheer desperation of our situation.  It is not to be used lightly.  But in the case of this invasion, I share this most secret feature of the Board with you.  Look closely, beneath the screen names and you will see a big, red, "X".  If you click it, your target will be ensared in a magical web of silence.  No longer will you be forced to read their evil writings.  No longer will you be forced, against your will, to respond with juvenile, rage-ridden posts to these vile creatures.

TL;DR

Don't be some whiny victim, waiting on someone else (PR, 3SK, the government) to solve your problems for you.  Be proactive and do something for yourself.  If you are really getting this pissed off at what someone writes, either stop responding or click on the big red X and put them on ignore.  (Or feed them only in one thread, that what the whole Glennonade thread was made for.)  There is only one way to get rid of trolls and banning isn't it.  Starvation is.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 19, 2013, 05:32:54 PM

Lol. Tilting at windmills. These poor girls are powerless to overcome their persecutors.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 19, 2013, 05:37:27 PM

I nearly pooped.

We will be Carolina ready when we are Carolina ready.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 19, 2013, 05:38:49 PM

Great post. A lot of people don't know about the X, and others that know don't use it.

I'm in.

HOOOOOOOO!!!!

beardmcdoug

Pro Bowler

#4 : August 19, 2013, 05:39:33 PM

OK, so we are currently completely overwhelmed by trolls.  This is not the fault of the trolls.  Much like chumming the waters, the ridiculous level of engagement you give them is what feeds them.  And word spreads and more come to the trough.  You all wanted Java gone, but Java was never the problem.  Your inability to discipline yourselves and not feed the trolls was the problem. Ever watch Star Wars? "If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"?  Well congrats, you did it.  Instead of one personality invested in a decade+ old screen name and rep, we have a swarm that isn't even trying to be stylish any longer.

The first thing you need to do is identify the trolls.  Not everyone who disagrees with you is a troll.  There are quite a few new usernames around here that popped up when, after game two, there was going to clearly be lots of feeding opportunities.  Whether the names are the same person or copycats is irrelevant.  I won't name the names but you know who they are.  They are all also pushing a "start Glennon now" campaign, so that is a nice tribal marker.  However, not everyone who is saying start Glennon now is a troll.  Many are just having some good-natured fun with this year's "ride the wave".  Some are serious (I am somewhat sympathetic to this viewpoint, but not ready to jump on that wagon just yet, but I certainly understand their Freestration.  Four years of teasing and failure and collapse will test anyone's patience).

You can differentiate between these groups easily if you dial back on the emotion.  Look for details or lack thereof.  Try to dig through the red haze of your nerd rage and remember whether these posters ever posted anything else. Make a list of the ones you think didn't.

Have you done that?
Have you made a list?
A list of trolls?

Good job.  And I know you are thinking "now what? What good is it to know their names?" I know that you are powerless in the grip of these malign creatures.  That you have lost your free will and simply must respond every time you see their sinister whispers printed on the computer screen.  But as our ancestors knew, there is great power in knowing the names of things.  And knowing their names you can counter their diabolical magics with one of your own, the spell of the BIG RED X.  I share this secret with you only because of the sheer desperation of our situation.  It is not to be used lightly.  But in the case of this invasion, I share this most secret feature of the Board with you.  Look closely, beneath the screen names and you will see a big, red, "X".  If you click it, your target will be ensared in a magical web of silence.  No longer will you be forced to read their evil writings.  No longer will you be forced, against your will, to respond with juvenile, rage-ridden posts to these vile creatures.

TL;DR

Don't be some whiny victim, waiting on someone else (PR, 3SK, the government) to solve your problems for you.  Be proactive and do something for yourself.  If you are really getting this pissed off at what someone writes, either stop responding or click on the big red X and put them on ignore.  (Or feed them only in one thread, that what the whole Glennonade thread was made for.)  There is only one way to get rid of trolls and banning isn't it.  Starvation is.

well-formulated post

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#5 : August 19, 2013, 05:40:44 PM

Awful lot of red x'ing lately. I dont think I have ever seen it this bad here to be honest.

gone

Hall of Famer
#6 : August 19, 2013, 05:42:57 PM

Neither have I.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 19, 2013, 05:42:59 PM

Awful lot of red x'ing lately. I dont think I have ever seen it this bad here to be honest.
+1

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 19, 2013, 05:48:10 PM

It's kinda funny. To add all these new trolls to my X list I really only had to go to 1 or 2 threads and knocked them all out.

HOOOOOOOO!!!!

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 19, 2013, 05:54:06 PM

So not reading those threads could have been an alternative strategy? Just pointing this out because many posters make the mistake of thinking that negatively engaging posters is the same as ignoring them. Captain Cornfoot, for example, frequently tells Java that he's ignoring him. Basically sabotages his own plan.

BucsSavant

Starter

#10 : August 19, 2013, 05:55:55 PM

It would seem that this board is indeed infested with trolls. So much so that those who claim to hate these trolls have become troll-like themselves. When a new poster comes and tries to start an intelligent football discussion, it is disappointing to see the response. I would love to have a place to vent and talk intelligent football all season, hopefully this can be the place.

GO BUCS GO!!!

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 19, 2013, 05:56:38 PM

Your opinion is not the same as mine. Therefore you are a troll. Pewter Report Red Board logic.

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler

#12 : August 19, 2013, 05:56:57 PM

You are ignoring this user.

The quest for .500 begins...

youngone

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 19, 2013, 05:59:57 PM

So not reading those threads could have been an alternative strategy? Just pointing this out because many posters make the mistake of thinking that negatively engaging posters is the same as ignoring them. Captain Cornfoot, for example, frequently tells Java that he's ignoring him. Basically sabotages his own plan.
Lol @ captain cornfoot

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 19, 2013, 06:05:26 PM

Nice thread.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The big red "X", Fun, Freestration and You « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools