Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: HARVARD STUDY: NO CORRELATION BETWEEN GUN CONTROL & LESS VIOLENT CRIME « previous next »
Page: 1

Mr. Milich

Hall of Famer
: August 29, 2013, 05:28:14 PM

A Harvard Study titled "Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide?" looks at figures for "intentional deaths" throughout continental Europe and juxtaposes them with the U.S. to show that more gun control does not necessarily lead to lower death rates or violent crime.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf

Because the findings so clearly demonstrate that more gun laws may in fact increase death rates, the study says that "the mantra that more guns mean more deaths and that fewer guns, therefore, mean fewer deaths" is wrong.

For example, when the study shows numbers for Eastern European gun ownership and corresponding murder rates, it is readily apparent that less guns to do not mean less death. In Russia, where the rate of gun ownership is 4,000 per 100,000 inhabitants, the murder rate was 20.52 per 100,000 in 2002. That same year in Finland, where the rater of gun ownership is exceedingly higher--39,000 per 100,000--the murder rate was almost nill, at 1.98 per 100,000.

Looking at Western Europe, the study shows that Norway "has far and away Western Europe's highest household gun ownership rate (32%), but also its lowest murder rate."

And when the study focuses on intentional deaths by looking at the U.S. vs Continental Europe, the findings are no less revealing. The U.S., which is so often labeled as the most violent nation in the world by gun control proponents, comes in 7th--behind Russia, Estonia, Lativa, Lithuania, Belarus, and the Ukraine--in murders. America also only ranks 22nd in suicides.

The murder rate in Russia, where handguns are banned, is 30.6; the rate in the U.S. is 7.8.

The authors of the study conclude that the burden of proof rests on those who claim more guns equal more death and violent crime;
such proponents should "at the very least [be able] to show a large number of nations with more guns have more death and that nations that impose stringent gun controls have achieved substantial reductions in criminal violence (or suicide)." But after intense study the authors conclude "those correlations are not observed when a large number of nations are compared around the world."

In fact, the numbers presented in the Harvard study support the contention that among the nations studied, those with more gun control tend toward higher death rates. 

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/08/27/Harvard-Study-Shows-No-Correlation-Between-Strict-Gun-Control-And-Less-Crime-Violence

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 29, 2013, 05:36:50 PM

Can't talk, big game tonight.

Mr. Milich

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 29, 2013, 05:47:51 PM

Oh, sweet serendipity.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 30, 2013, 09:05:32 AM

lol, not "big game tonight" season is here . .  . and you guys must have really pathetic lives if my leaving to focus on football throws you for such a loop.  Durango, dont you have some more conspiracies to consider? Anyway, why the interest in re-hashing old stuff? That "study" has been out and discussed.  Oh well, have fun  my little Band of Misfits.  Go Bucs!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 30, 2013, 09:55:57 AM

you guys must have really pathetic lives if my leaving to focus on football throws you for such a loop.

Who has left?  I know you say you don't have time to post on here because of the fourth preseason game, but really, that hasn't stopped from continuing to post on here.  It's almost as if you are full of sh!t and simply using that as an excuse to stop the pummeling you are receiving.

We'll see if you "leave" this place, Counselor.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#5 : August 30, 2013, 10:02:20 AM

you guys must have really pathetic lives if my leaving to focus on football throws you for such a loop.

Who has left?  I know you say you don't have time to post on here because of the fourth preseason game, but really, that hasn't stopped from continuing to post on here.  It's almost as if you are full of sh!t and simply using that as an excuse to stop the pummeling you are receiving.

We'll see if you "leave" this place, Counselor.

You can't read, I know . . . I didnt say any of that (in bold) I said the season is here, so time to move to a better from of entertainment . . .  by the way, I like how you ran down here for comforst after gettign your AZZ handed to you on the Red Board . .  poor Buggsy the brute . .  tried to steal some kids milk money again and got dropped.  ROFLMAO. 

Even funnier that you describe your comments as a "pummeling." .  . . . my God you're something else.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6 : August 30, 2013, 10:13:35 AM

Have you left to focus on football or not, Counselor?  It's getting harder and harder to tell with each post you make.  Maybe with you next post, even though you've left, you'll actually address the pummeling you're receiving.

I realize getting you to recognize your own hypocrisy is a fool's errand, but it's not like a fourth preseason game to focus on or anything.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#7 : August 30, 2013, 10:44:44 AM

Have you left to focus on football or not, Counselor?  It's getting harder and harder to tell with each post you make.  Maybe with you next post, even though you've left, you'll actually address the pummeling you're receiving.

I realize getting you to recognize your own hypocrisy is a fool's errand, but it's not like a fourth preseason game to focus on or anything.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : August 31, 2013, 03:45:40 PM

Interesting study Durango...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

gone

Hall of Famer
#9 : August 31, 2013, 04:19:32 PM

This has been obvious for a long time.  Gun violence is less about the legality of guns than about the people who have them.  Per capita rates are much higher in cities than anywhere else.  And much higher in particular areas in those cities.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 03, 2013, 08:22:47 AM

No shlt.

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: HARVARD STUDY: NO CORRELATION BETWEEN GUN CONTROL & LESS VIOLENT CRIME « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools