Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anybody Hear Fran Tarkenton Talk about Freeman This AM? It was Brutal « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #150 : August 22, 2013, 12:58:23 PM »

Well when your boy Freeman goes to 9 pro bowls, is a 3 time all pro, a MVP, and wins 3 conference championships and becomes a HoFer maybe you can comment on how bad Tarkenton was.

How many years did it take Fran to get it? I'm asking because this was before my time I don't know who he is.
Good from the beginning but didn't make first Super Bowl till 13th season. Hmmmmm.

In Verner We Trust

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #151 : August 22, 2013, 01:46:55 PM »

Well when your boy Freeman goes to 9 pro bowls, is a 3 time all pro, a MVP, and wins 3 conference championships and becomes a HoFer maybe you can comment on how bad Tarkenton was.

How many years did it take Fran to get it? I'm asking because this was before my time I don't know who he is.
he got in in 86.  Think 78 was his last year.  At the time of his retirement he owned every major quarterback record.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #152 : August 22, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »

Hey, guess what guys Fran isnt a racist:

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Fran-Tarkenton-‘Russell-Wilson-is-Rookie-of-the-Year’/de40a446-15ad-47e1-ac82-0At the time of his retirement he owned every major quarterback record647dAt the time of his retirement he owned every major quarterback recordb553162

Ryan Nassib

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

« #153 : August 22, 2013, 02:13:17 PM »

Hey, guess what guys Fran isnt a racist:

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Fran-Tarkenton-‘Russell-Wilson-is-Rookie-of-the-Year’/de40a446-15ad-47e1-ac82-0At the time of his retirement he owned every major quarterback record647dAt the time of his retirement he owned every major quarterback recordb553162

+1 of course he's not a racist. Freeman fans like to call people racists to make themselves feel better about loving a crappy quarterback.

The Cannon Rides the Wave, Do You?? 2013: The Dream Season

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #154 : August 22, 2013, 02:22:37 PM »

Same thing Obama supporters do.  Makes them feel better about voting for such a crappy president .

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #155 : August 22, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »

I get that FT was a great QB, but he needs to shut his mouth, since clearly the light didnt go on for him until after his 4th season (going on stats alone, as I never got to see him play) although it was apparently a different game back then (shorter seasons, more run oriented, etc).

Just to compare each of their 1st 4 years in the league

Fran Tarkenton:
52 games 16-30-3 record for a winning percentage of 30.7
661 of 1212 for a 54.5 comp %
9409 yds
67 TDs
68 INTs

Free:
57 games 24-32 record for a 42 winning %
1101 of 1873 for a completion % of 58.7
12,963  yds
78 TDs
63 INTs

Frees got more games played, won, higher winning and completion %'s, yards thrown, TDs, and less INTs (plus hes on the positive side of the TD/INT ratio, which Fran wasnt). I guess FT wasnt that good either. Haha. I get that hes earned the right to be senile and crazy in his age but if youre gonna throw somebody under the bus the way he did to Josh, he should be looking at himself in the mirror before he does it.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #156 : August 22, 2013, 03:04:46 PM »

I get that FT was a great QB, but he needs to shut his mouth, since clearly the light didnt go on for him until after his 4th season (going on stats alone, as I never got to see him play) although it was apparently a different game back then (shorter seasons, more run oriented, etc).

Fran Tarkenton:
9409 yds
67 TDs
68 INTs

Free:
12,963  yds
78 TDs
63 INTs

Frees got more games played, won, higher winning and completion %'s, yards thrown, TDs, and less INTs (plus hes on the positive side of the TD/INT ratio, which Fran wasnt). I guess FT wasnt that good either. Haha. I get that hes earned the right to be senile and crazy in his age but if youre gonna throw somebody under the bus the way he did to Josh, he should be looking at himself in the mirror before he does it.
Good post

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #157 : August 22, 2013, 03:08:50 PM »

Thanks Youngone.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #158 : August 22, 2013, 03:16:44 PM »

First of all, I don't agree with Tarkenton - there are plenty of contrary examples. And it's pretty clear that his coach - Norm Van Brocklin - didn't think Fran was all that great after 4 seasons. But let's correct the record...

- Tarkenton played in 3 Super Bowls, Skull and Bones, not 4. Joe Kapp was the QB against KC.
- To whoever posted the 3 season W-L record for Tark's team - hello, the Vikes were an expansion team in 61 (his first year), with not a lot of talent. Their D was ranked 14 (out of 14), 14, and 12th in those years. 
- Criticizing Tark's completion percentage is just historical illiteracy. The reality is that 60% passers weren't all that typical. In 5 seasons during the 1960s, the LEADING completion % for a QB was sub-60%. The highwater mark for the 60s was Bart Starr's 62.5% in 1962. Different rules (especially for pass defenders), different philosophies. It wasn't much better in the 70s - Tark led the league in 1977 with 60.1%.
- Yes, Tark once threw 32 picks - but he was 38 years old when he did it.

As for the Super Bowls - for one thing, I think it's ludicrous to give QBs all the credit (or blame) for being "winners" - as football is the ultimate team game. But....

While it's true that Tark had a great defense in his second stint with the Vikes, they came up against brutal opponents - they were underdogs in all 3 games. In 1973, they played the Dolphins with the best D in football (and better than the more famous undefeated Dolphins). This was the Dolphins 3rd straight Super Bowl. While Tark wasn't great, it was the D that got crushed - they gave up TD drives on the Dolphins first two possessions. The Purple People Eaters were run over all day, for 196 yards. Csonka had 145 yards himself.

In Super Bowl IX, they played the Steel Curtain Steelers. Again, Tark not great, but...they gained just 17 yards on the ground. The Purple People Eaters gave up 246 yards to Franco, Rocky, et. al.

In SuperBowl XI, they played a great Oakland Raiders team (7 Hall of Famers). Tarkenton was nearly 37 years old. Again, the Vikes couldn't run the ball - 71 yards. The Vikes allowed 266 yards on the ground, and a SB record 429 yards.

It's a team game folks.

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

« #159 : August 22, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »

You guys who didn't grow up watching Tarkenton play obviously don't know a damn thing about him.   Posting his stats through 4 years is just dumb.   

Anyone who grew up watching Tarkenton as a Buc fan hated Tarkenton because it was so damn frustrating playing against him.   He was so damn tough to beat because he was scrappy and would take a play that was going nowhere and turn it into a dagger into Buc fan's hearts.   I can't even remember how many times I'd be cheering "ya, we finally got that bastard!!!" just to have him scramble the other way at the last second, run around and throw a pass for the first down. 

I WISH the Bucs had a QB like Tarkenton.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #160 : August 22, 2013, 03:28:56 PM »

You guys who didn't grow up watching Tarkenton play obviously don't know a damn thing about him.   Posting his stats through 4 years is just dumb.   

Clearly. I stated that in my post that I didnt get to watch him play and can only go off stats. I wasnt even born yet, and only have old NFL footage/highlights to go off of. Not saying he wasnt a great QB, but by looking at stats, and STATS ALONE, Frees the better QB through the first 4 years of his career.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #161 : August 22, 2013, 03:30:27 PM »

Fran Tarkenton:
9409 yds
67 TDs
68 INTs

Free:
12,963  yds
78 TDs
63 INTs

Germanbuc, there's no context there...

Fran's completion percentage in 1961, his rookie year - was 56.1%. That was good for 5th in the NFL, and better than Unitas'.  In 1963, his 57.2% was good for 3rd, behind Y.A. Tittle and Unitas, and ahead of Starr. In 1964, he was second with 55.9%.  The rules were different and so was the passing game. Defenses mugged recievers - the 5 yard rule for contact with a WR didn't exist until 1978 I believe. Something like 7 of the 10 best pass defenses in terms of net yards per pass in NFL history were from this 60s-70s era. Starr won a Super Bowl in 1967 with a 9/17 pick TD-int ratio. It was a different era.

And as I mention above - Tarkenton played on an expansion team which had very little talent.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #162 : August 22, 2013, 03:33:24 PM »

Anyone who grew up watching Tarkenton as a Buc fan hated Tarkenton because it was so damn frustrating playing against him.   He was so damn tough to beat because he was scrappy and would take a play that was going nowhere and turn it into a dagger into Buc fan's hearts.   I can't even remember how many times I'd be cheering "ya, we finally got that bastard!!!" just to have him scramble the other way at the last second, run around and throw a pass for the first down. 

I WISH the Bucs had a QB like Tarkenton.

Agreed - he was pretty amazing to watch, even if I only saw the past his prime version. Still think his comments were dumb, though.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #163 : August 22, 2013, 03:34:04 PM »

- To whoever posted the 3 season W-L record for Tark's team - hello, the Vikes were an expansion team in 61 (his first year), with not a lot of talent. Their D was ranked 14 (out of 14), 14, and 12th in those years. 

Im sure that expansion Vikings team had about as much talent as Free had for the first couple years, and he went 10-6 in his first full year as a starter with that garbage team, not to mention what could possibly be the worst coaching staff the league has ever seen.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #164 : August 22, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »

I hear ya Booker. Like I said, I never got to see him play, only on highlight reels (in which he looks damn good). I was born in 86, long after the rule changes etc, so I can only go off of the numbers in front of me.

Page: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anybody Hear Fran Tarkenton Talk about Freeman This AM? It was Brutal « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools