Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: That monstrous hit by Bostic... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #45 : August 22, 2013, 11:40:38 AM »

Its clear as day that he was leading with the crown of his helmet....

I didn't see the hit, but this picture looks like the textbook cover of the crown rule. Awful technique

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #46 : August 22, 2013, 11:55:34 AM »

I heard Bostic, on his current contract, was only getting paid $900 for that preseason game.  So he's in the hole $20,100.  Youch.

If this is true, and assuming he doesnt make the team, is he still on the hook for 20 gs with the league?

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #47 : August 22, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »

I dont believe the league could enforce a fine against someone who is no longer an employee of theirs

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #48 : August 22, 2013, 12:28:43 PM »

Crazier things have happened and I wouldnt put it past our not so jolly Roger for a second.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

« #49 : August 22, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »

I didn't see the hit, but this picture looks like the textbook cover of the crown rule. Awful technique
he wrapped up and hit him in the chest. This isn't the same as launching at the head of someone

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #50 : August 22, 2013, 12:43:13 PM »

Guys I admire  like Jack Lambert, Lyle alzado
Would you have admired alzado without the juice? Heck, who liked the clean Lattimore?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

« #51 : August 22, 2013, 12:52:31 PM »

"If players don't understand this huge change in culture, and keep trying to hit hard, just lower....we will continue to see an alarming amount of lower body injuries like Dustin Keller's. These guys have to stop launching themselves, keep their eyes up, and use their arms/hands to wrap the ball carrier up and drag him down. It is what it is and it's not going back to the old ways."

Seems to me "going back to the old ways" is exactly what's happening. Back to the days before defensive padding was suitable for use as an offensive weapon.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #52 : August 22, 2013, 12:54:16 PM »

The players use their heads more than the competition committee does.

Hoist the Battleflag

midgetcoach

User is banned from postingMuted
Second String

« #53 : August 22, 2013, 01:51:51 PM »

Guys I admire  like Jack Lambert, Lyle alzado
Would you have admired alzado without the juice? Heck, who liked the clean Lattimore?

Alzado did what he had to do.  Besides that was a different era. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #54 : August 22, 2013, 01:57:20 PM »

Put a goshdarn skirt on them.  I can't believe what the game I love is turning into.  Guys I admire  like Jack Lambert, Lyle Alzado, **CENSORED** Butkis, John Lynch and Chuck Cecil would never be allowed to play today because the way the NFL has turned this into flag football.
+1.  We even like the same players.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #55 : August 22, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »

Chuck Cecil sucked and was a cheap shot hack.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #56 : August 22, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »

he wrapped up and hit him in the chest. This isn't the same as launching at the head of someone
its a good thing thats a completely different rule with a completely different goal in mind

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #57 : August 22, 2013, 06:10:51 PM »

I heard Bostic, on his current contract, was only getting paid $900 for that preseason game.  So he's in the hole $20,100.  Youch.

If this is true, and assuming he doesnt make the team, is he still on the hook for 20 gs with the league?

There is a process set up for this kinda thing.  The fine can't be more than 25% of the game check. And Bostic's game check was around 20K.  So the fine would have been 100% of his game check.  He will only have to pay something like 5K.   Or he can can appeal it, and try to get it thrown out all together.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #58 : August 23, 2013, 03:26:45 AM »

AJ, are you sure about that? I read on NFL.com that his contract for the year is only just over $400,000 and that it was essentially a full game check. Quick math says 400,000 over 16 is 25,000. Do players get paid the same in pre-season for games? Im not sure how it works, so Im just tryna figure it out between all the numbers going around.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #59 : August 23, 2013, 03:38:35 AM »

AJ, are you sure about that? I read on NFL.com that his contract for the year is only just over $400,000 and that it was essentially a full game check. Quick math says 400,000 over 16 is 25,000. Do players get paid the same in pre-season for games? Im not sure how it works, so Im just tryna figure it out between all the numbers going around.

From PFT

More on the CBA rule on excessive fines for low-paid players

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 22, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT

We got some questions about the rule that limits fines for players like Bears linebacker Jon Bostic, whose salary this season is $405,000 and whose pay was docked $21,000 for a preseason hit. So we decided to seek out the precise wording of the rule.

Here’s the rule, from Article 46 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement:

“On appeal, a player may assert, among other defenses, that any fine should be reduced because it is excessive when compared to the player’s expected earnings for the season in question. However, a fine may be reduced on this basis only if it exceeds 25 percent of one week of a player’s salary for a first offense, and 50 percent of one week of a player’s salary for a second offense. A player may also argue on appeal that the circumstances do not warrant his receiving a fine above the amount stated in the schedule of fines.”

A player’s weekly pay is one-seventeenth of his salary, so for Bostic, his weekly pay is $23,823.53. That means that he can appeal his fine of $21,000 as excessive, because it’s well over 25 percent of his weekly pay. For any player who makes less than $1,428,000, a $21,000 fine would represent more than 25 percent of one week’s salary, and he could therefore appeal it as excessive.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: That monstrous hit by Bostic... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools