Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Hey Guys! I just found out, pre-season really doesn't mean anything! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

BucNY

Hall of Famer

: August 22, 2013, 11:44:15 AM

Let's compare preseason to regular season passer rating for our franchise QB
               Pre-season                  Regular season
2009        41.0                                             59.8
2010        142.7                                           95.9
2011         72.3                                             74.6
2012         76.1                                             81.6

If you recall Freeman threw only 8 pass all of the 2010 preseason, it's an abberation. Also to be noted that the regular season of 2010, as quoted by Greg Cossell who I now treat as football QB gospel, believes the regular season was as well as many of Freeman's big plays occurred outside of the pocket. As Freeman became known for these types of plays, they became much harder to make. That was the major difference. He now had to relying on pocket passing which he was much less adept at. Essentially his ability to scramble and make plays in 2010 and not others set him back in his development at least that one year.

So if we take out 2010 and call it an statistical anomaly  based on the previous notions, Joshua Freeman has had a better passer rating in every regular season than preseason and he has also improved his QB rating at every turn, pre season to regular season year 1, year 1 regular season to year 2 pre season, year 2 pre season to year 2 regular season and so on.

Looking at the statistics, Joshua is still improving. One more year should do it. Flacco and Eli both won superbowls after big steps in their 5th season. Besides lack of pass rush, our defense looks to be similar in talent to those defenses.

Tie up the Glennon band wagon for one more year folks, let him continue to learn and lets get behind our man! Number 5 on your roster, number 1 in your hearts, franchise #5, Joshua Freechise Freeman!!!!

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 22, 2013, 11:46:43 AM

I hope Freeman steps his game up. Would be a shame if this kid with all his potential can't.
: August 22, 2013, 02:34:57 PM SWAGGANEER

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#2 : August 22, 2013, 11:47:26 AM

I'm really looking forward to us beating a bad Miami team with all the people saying "pre-season doesn't mean anything", telling every one who's tired of Freeman, "told you!!!"

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 22, 2013, 12:54:40 PM

Exactly what I thought. When presented with objective proof that Freeman continues to develop and improve, the "ride the wave" idiots are no where to be found. Can't say I'm surprised.

- Everyone

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 22, 2013, 01:05:41 PM

"So if we take out 2010 and call it an statistical anomaly  based on the previous notions"

Did you know that every single person in America voted for Obama, if you don't count the ones who didn't?

"When presented with objective proof..."

Lol. Good one.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 22, 2013, 01:10:21 PM

Hey guys! I just found out that if I cherry pick the stats I want and ignore the rest, they can say whatever I want them to!

This place is never ending hilarity.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 22, 2013, 01:16:48 PM

Hey guys! I just found out that if I cherry pick the stats I want and ignore the rest, they can say whatever I want them to!

Look at the numbers man, he played a different style of football that year that he will not ever play again. The whole team played far far better than they actually were. It's not cherry picking stats. It's realizing that however and for whatever reason Freeman played like he did in 2010, he is no longer that guy. His game changed after that year and he took a big step backwards. However, the fact remains that he continues to improve.

I believe 2010 was a fluke. Freeman will be a guy who throws 25+ TDs in most years and a few more picks than everyone is comfortable with. He will continue to improve but that's who he is and in the end is it good enough? Maybe...

- Everyone

freddy

Hall of Famer
#7 : August 22, 2013, 01:17:41 PM

Around these parts that's called an FRGism.

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#8 : August 22, 2013, 01:26:43 PM

His game changed after that year and he took a big step backwards. However, the fact remains that he continues to improve.
Read that back and realize how little sense it makes.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#9 : August 22, 2013, 01:42:25 PM

why is Free expected to progress on a straight line when his career path has been anything but? 2011 was much different than 2010 for reasons that by any fair measure were largely external to Free.  2012 was even a bigger change.  Not saying Free gets a pass, but why would anyone expect linear improvement?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#10 : August 22, 2013, 01:51:45 PM

That sounds like something the fans of teams that look like crap say.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#11 : August 22, 2013, 01:56:50 PM

I'm of the preseason matters very little persuasion, but this is a weird argument. The statistical anomoly isn't that Freeman didn't perform as well in the regular season as he did in the preseason in 2010, it's that the preseason sample size is incredibly small and not useful.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#12 : August 22, 2013, 01:57:58 PM

I'm really looking forward to us beating a bad Miami team with all the people saying "pre-season doesn't mean anything", telling every one who's tired of Freeman, "told you!!!"

It won't be me. I'm not getting high or low based on preseason.

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 22, 2013, 02:08:40 PM

Kinda like dismissing yardage and TDs and harping on completion percentage?

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 22, 2013, 02:18:17 PM

Yardage, TDs, and completion percentage have all increased through the years for various reasons, and dramatically so over the last decade. This drive to prop Freeman up by comparing him to QBs that played in the "three yards and a cloud of dust" era, or comparing him to previous Bucs QBs that were game managers on defensive teams just isn't working.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Hey Guys! I just found out, pre-season really doesn't mean anything! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools