Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Da'Quan Bowers is a poor replacement for Michael Bennett « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 17

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: August 25, 2013, 03:28:49 AM

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers Should Sign Kyle Vanden Bosch

August 24, 2013 06:10 PM EDT

Upgrading the secondary was a bold and profitable venture for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The problem is it may have come at a bad time. With their pass rush in dire straits, should the team consider signing Kyle Vanden Bosch?

Da'Quan Bowers a poor replacement for Michael Bennett

There are still reasons for fans to feel optimistic about the 2013 season for the Buccaneers. They have talent on offense and defense. That isn't the problem. The problem is they are missing talent in some very bad areas. Nowhere is it more telling than in the pass rush. Last year defensive end Michael Bennett was their best rusher, and he only produced nine sacks. The hope was that head coach Greg Schiano could finally get Da'Quan Bowers, a promising second round pick playing up to the level many expected of him. So far the results speak for themselves. Tampa Bay has one sack through two preseason games. Tennessee is the next closest with three. For an idea of how bad that is, New Orleans has 11 already and they were the worst defense in the league last season. Put simply the Buccaneers can't expect to get the most out of their shiny, new secondary unless they can actually put heat on opposing quarterbacks. Is it time to get some outside help?

Detroit Lions dismissal doesn't negate Vanden Bosch other values

The first round of roster cuts are ahead for every NFL team but the chances of landing anybody of value are slim. On the other hand, there are a few notable veterans still on the market. Mark Anderson is the youngest of the big names at age 28. His injury-riddled season in Buffalo quickly erased the 10 sacks he had with New England the year before. Another is Kyle Vanden Bosch. At age 34 he was released by the Detroit Lions after having just three sacks in 2012. One might think his time in the pros is over, but Vanden Bosch has proven valuable in other ways besides sacks. Something Tampa Bay has seemed to lack on the defensive line is intensity. Coming from the school of Jeff Fisher, a man who actually got Albert Haynesworth to a Pro Bowl, Vanden Bosch knows all about playing with an edge and playing smart. He was one of the key reasons Detroit made the playoffs in 2011 and he might have enough juice left in the tank to lend the same hand to the Bucs.

Greg Schiano is a defensive coach, so he knows the value of having leadership in the right places. Da'Quan Bowers seems to lack direction with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Perhaps a nudge from a veteran like Kyle Vanden Bosch can help.

Source....NESN

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#1 : August 25, 2013, 04:04:29 AM

We shouldve signed Freeney or Abraham. Too late for that now, not sure how muvh KVB could help now.

WC-Bucs fan

Starter

#2 : August 25, 2013, 05:16:39 AM

Michael Bennett is hurt now. We heavily invested in our DL with early draft picks, it's time to see if the picks pay off. Dom went all-in with his DL picks 2 years in a row.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 25, 2013, 05:53:15 AM

I thought Bowers played well last night.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 25, 2013, 08:00:54 AM

Dolphins OL is horrible though.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#5 : August 25, 2013, 08:01:56 AM

Yea I saw him causing some disruption. But because he didn't have a sack, people will question. And maybe they are right, he was playing backups and 3 stringers.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#6 : August 25, 2013, 08:52:10 AM

Bowers played ok.   But Scott played fantastic.   They may be able to get away with the mistake of letting Bennett go due to the signing of Scott.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

gobuxfla

Pro Bowler

#7 : August 25, 2013, 09:00:12 AM

We shouldve signed Freeney or Abraham. Too late for that now, not sure how muvh KVB could help now.

He could help more than Bowers who is winning the "bust" label all on his own.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 25, 2013, 09:02:23 AM

Bowers just relies on a bull rush, which is fine for situational pass rushing.  But beyond that he isn't fit to be a starter.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 25, 2013, 09:38:20 AM

Yea I saw him causing some disruption. But because he didn't have a sack, people will question. And maybe they are right, he was playing backups and 3 stringers.
Scott's first sack should've been credited to Bowers

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 25, 2013, 10:13:57 AM

At this point in his career Vanden Bosch is probably not better than Trevor Scott. That signing would be a waste of time.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 25, 2013, 10:18:47 AM

Take a flier on Mark Anderson, Aaron Maybin etc. etc

Those guys aren't good but we need to at least try something.

Im not cool with the status quo but often times it seems Schiano/Dom are

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 25, 2013, 10:21:50 AM

Scott's first sack should've been credited to Bowers

Then shouldn't Bowers improved play last night be attributed to being "pressured" by legitimate competition?

Without Scott on the field, we'd have seen the same tired Bowers IMO....no point in handing out cookies for a guy who doesn't seem to WANT the job badly enough

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#13 : August 25, 2013, 10:49:43 AM

Freeney should be a Buccaneer. There is really no argument that will change my mind on that. I thought maybe we hads some better plan, but when an average 30 year old free agent DE like Scott comes in off the street and looks 10x better than any DE on our roster, it's pretty hard to buy in. We **CENSORED**ed up. Freeney would of had a huge impact for us this year. Instead he's off in California playing out of position again for the lame ass Chargers.

Dom isn't as bad as many make him out to be, but I think his failures on the D-line might lead to him being fired. Despite heavy investments through the draft, we've have had zero pass rush since he has been our GM and it sure doesn't look like anything will change this year.

Bucsfan4life323

Starter
#14 : August 25, 2013, 11:05:40 AM

The TD for Dolphins where Bowers ran a stunt into his own teammate was laughable. The dude got handed the job. He's just a lazy piece of crap right now.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Da'Quan Bowers is a poor replacement for Michael Bennett « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools