Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Da'Quan Bowers is a poor replacement for Michael Bennett « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #75 : August 28, 2013, 04:30:52 PM »

I'd take him back right now. Bad shoulder and toe and all.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucsSavant

Starter

« #76 : August 28, 2013, 04:47:03 PM »

"It was a logical gamble, with Bowers being healthy for a change."

No, it was not. It was a foolish gamble to count on two players coming back from injury to both be starters, and damn little behind them.

+1, if anything it is illogical. Say what you want about Bennett, but he is a proven commodity and a good player. As of now, Bowers is neither. Definition of counting your chickend before they hatch.

BucsSavant

Starter

« #77 : August 28, 2013, 04:48:17 PM »

Michael Bennett - DL - Seahawks

Seahawks DL Michael Bennett is having a "procedure" done on his toe, but coach Pete Carroll insists it's minor.
"He’s going to be back at the end of the week," Carroll insisted. "He’s fine, it’s all orchestrated. He’s going to get some work done on his toe." Bennett's brief Seahawks career has been an avalanche of minor injuries, but it still sounds like he'll be ready to go for Week 1. That being said, it's becoming more clear why Bennett was greeted by an exceptionally-soft market.

Clear to everyone but our overreacting idiot fans....

I was never in favor of giving him some huge contract. I just wish we would have held on to him, since the market for him was so soft anyway...

vicious00cycle

Starter
« #78 : August 28, 2013, 04:52:28 PM »

Everyone keeps forgetting that this isn't Madden.... It takes two to make a deal and he was the one that did not give Tampa a chance to match. He walked away from us. Did we low-ball him? Absolutely. 9 sacks, with 4 of those coming in two games against poor offensive lines btw, doesn't mean we back the Brinks truck up to your front door. He got butt-hurt and bailed. I wish him the best, but we're moving on now. Fans need to do the same. Freeney wasn't the answer either. He took a considerable offer from San Diego to play out of position. After winning a ring and being in the twilight of his career, me thinks he just wants money at this point. Abraham? Pass. Seriously. 35 years old is too old for a stop-gap guy. Osi? Maybe. But his attitude probably would have clashed with Coach's at some point. I was interested in Avril though. But I'm not upset about any of the non-signings. We have pieces in place that we drafted, for better or worse, and we're gonna need to see what these kids can do.

\"He doesn\'t want a people to rule so much as he wants puppets to entertain his madness.\"

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #79 : August 28, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »

"They acted like they didn’t want me, so no, I didn’t go back to them," Bennett said.

"I just didn’t feel any love from them at all," Bennett said. "And that’s kind of disappointing, because for a team that you put everything you had into for four years to do that, you’re just kind of, ‘OK, whatever.’

"You do everything you can to grow as a player and get better as a player and you prove yourself over and over again for them, but I guess that’s just who they are."

- Michael Bennett

Sounds like there was no intention on resigning him regardless, at least from Bennett's perspective. So yes, it "takes two to make a deal" but the team has to show some interest in a guy that did everything the right way or else risk losing him to a contender like Seattle.

This goes out to you Mark D....

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

BucsSavant

Starter

« #80 : August 28, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »

"They acted like they didn’t want me, so no, I didn’t go back to them," Bennett said.

"I just didn’t feel any love from them at all," Bennett said. "And that’s kind of disappointing, because for a team that you put everything you had into for four years to do that, you’re just kind of, ‘OK, whatever.’

"You do everything you can to grow as a player and get better as a player and you prove yourself over and over again for them, but I guess that’s just who they are."

- Michael Bennett

Sounds like there was no intention on resigning him regardless, at least from Bennett's perspective. So yes, it "takes two to make a deal" but the team has to show some interest in a guy that did everything the right way or else risk losing him to a contender like Seattle.

This goes out to you Mark D....

This. If Seattle got him so cheap, we could've as well. And anyway you shake it, Michael Bennett still on this team would be a good thing

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #81 : August 28, 2013, 06:38:08 PM »

From everything said and done, it paints the picture of us showing zero interest in resigning him. As in, we didn't make him an offer at all.

Now I see both sides. I see the side that says he had a rotator cuff injury, and now a toe injury that we might of known about too. I understand that he might have wanted too much and that even if we had kept him, he might have been too injured this season to replicate last season. I just don't agree with that point of view. Here's why.

1. Bennett was undrafted, but he worked his butt off and went from a one dimensional pass rusher, to a special teams contributor, a run stuffer, and multi faceted pass rusher. He is the definition of a hard working blue collar guy.

2. He never got into trouble. Not once. He was here for five years and never was arrested, never suspended, never a negative word to speak of him.

3. He recorded 9 sacks last year. That is the most sacks for any Buccaneer since Simeon Rice. (That is very sad by the way) and only 15 other DEs had more sacks in 2012.

4. He was a big part of the #1 run defense in the league last year too. He was 5th in the entire league in TFL with 18.

5. The FA market this year was soft overall and soft for Bennett. If we had said go test the market, see what your value is, and then come talk to us because we want to keep you...then we almost certainly could have retained him for a very reasonable price with the typical "Dom Deal" where he gets all his guaranteed money in the first two years and then become expendable if he doesn't earn the money. Even if he ended up being too hurt and couldn't live up to expectations this year, we would have him in 2014.

6. Bennett's story is a good one. He was the perfect "Buccaneer Man" who kept his noes clean and worked hard to stay on the roster and become a starter, and then produced as a starter. He is the guy you point to and tell the young guys to emulate....and when it came time to reward him for it, we gave him the cold shoulder and didn't even make him an offer. That does not look good to the locker room. I promise.

7. Clayborn is coming off an injury and Bowers has been one big injury concern since before he was even drafted. Behind them we have DTN and....next to nothing. Considering that in a 4-3 defense, your 3rd DE is basically a starter, it seems very strange to let your best, most proven DE walk and not even replace him. And at the same time, hand the starting role to Bowers....who has done nothing to earn it.

I don't mean to be a broken record, but that is how I have felt from the very beginning and unfortunately it is starting to look like I was right. I'm glad we grabbed Trevor Scott. He's not my ideal pick up, but he is something. It's also really good that Spence is providing  some pass rush from the NT position. That should help. I just think the lack of a great pass rusher is going to hurt us big time this year.

Draft Aaron Donald

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #82 : August 28, 2013, 06:42:45 PM »

And maybe you will be surprised by the pass rush that shows itself when guys like GMAC actually play more than 15 minutes at most. Could happen ya know.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #83 : August 28, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »

Fingers crossed. I hope it does. It's just not very likely.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #84 : August 28, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »

I think its obvious why we didnt resign him but I still wouldnt have been as quiet at the DE position as we were. Last in sacks and you trust a couple of banged up DEs are gonna do the job for you. They should have signed Freeney.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #85 : August 28, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »

Fingers crossed. I hope it does. It's just not very likely.

Why not? I think a season of healthy GMAC and Clayborn may just be alot better than you think.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #86 : August 28, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »

Trevor Scott baby !!

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #87 : August 28, 2013, 09:31:11 PM »

Again,  people have opinions...  most if not all are not based in reality.

It really isn't Madden, Fantasy ...  or whatever.

NFL professionals aren't perfect, but I'll guarantee with no doubt whatsoever we don't know **CENSORED**e.

One of the most annoying perspectives here is the know-it-all who really doesn't have a clue.

I am a blind melon.   I truly and utterly know nothing beyond my opinion, logical or otherwise.

Check yourself.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #88 : August 28, 2013, 09:38:37 PM »

"It was a logical gamble, with Bowers being healthy for a change."

No, it was not. It was a foolish gamble to count on two players coming back from injury to both be starters, and damn little behind them.

Disagree.  Dom figured he had 2 guys back, who were playing well before getting injured.  He assumed they would be as good as before, or even better.

It hasn't turned out that way so far, but I can see where he was coming from. 

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #89 : August 28, 2013, 09:51:15 PM »

Since you bring it up Schottenheimer had 2 losing seasons in like 22 years. Schiano is 1 for 1. Good luck with that!
it also took Marty 3 years to have a winning season.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
  Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Da'Quan Bowers is a poor replacement for Michael Bennett « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools