Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Glennon's education continues « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

SpeedInSpaceBucs!

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 29, 2013, 09:44:23 AM

We won a SuperBowl with Brad Johnson, because our pass rush was unstoppable. Food for thought...

acacius

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 29, 2013, 09:48:17 AM

We won a SuperBowl with Brad Johnson, because our pass rush was unstoppable. Food for thought...
Johnson was also a really good quarterback our Superbowl year.  He wasn't able to do it year in and year out, but the year he had tends to get underrated, imo. 

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 29, 2013, 09:49:45 AM

This, in my mind, is one of the reasons Glennon is on the fast track this year. IF Freeman starts costing us games or we just slip out of the playoff picture, it would not surprise me to see Glennon ending the season as the starter THIS year. They need to get a good evaluation of Glennon THIS year so they can determine how to draft NEXT year (QB or DE). If Freeman lights it up, great. Go DE. If not, but Glennon looks like the real deal, go DE. If neither looks solid, go QB... JMO

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#18 : August 29, 2013, 09:50:01 AM

Johnson was also a really good quarterback our Superbowl year.  He wasn't able to do it year in and year out, but the year he had tends to get underrated, imo.
Agreed. Brad had the #3 QB rating in the entire NFL that year.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#19 : August 29, 2013, 09:54:42 AM

Agreed. Brad had the #3 QB rating in the entire NFL that year.
And I'll add was sixth in passing attempts per game, so he had to earn that rating.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#20 : August 29, 2013, 09:56:37 AM

To Gruden's credit, he put together a reasonable offense around Brad. Added McCardell and Jurevicius, and Dilger. And moving Kenyatta from LT to RT and signing Roman Obin was a HUGE (and gutsy) move which Rich McKay despised. That O'line gave up exactly ONE sack in the playoffs that year...

acacius

Hall of Famer

#21 : August 29, 2013, 10:05:09 AM

I miss Oben.  I don't *hate* Penn, but I still say Oben is the best LOT the team's had since Gruber.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 29, 2013, 10:11:44 AM

If glennon gets the nod after freeman is gone instead of drafting a qB in the high rounds, people are going to be ticked.

This is my biggest fear. If there are guys like Bridgewater, Mariota, Hogan, McCarron, Fales, Manziel, and others sitting there for the taking.....and we just role will Glennon.....man. I don't even want to think about it. It would be like rolling with Chris Simms and passing on Aaron Rodgers all over again.

..and that felt good, did it not?

But seriously JD, how does schiano and the team explain that to an already conficted fanbase? The ONLY way has got to be for Glennon to look fantastic, and I just don't see that, not to mention, he might never even get a shot before the season is over to show much of anything.

I'm NOT a fan of bridgewater, he seems like a mentally slower freeman to me. And I'm not so sure it would excite a seemingly (and oddly somewhat racist group) faithless crowd. I that aspect, I believe Manziel would be a great change of pace and would fit the mold as a QB that Tampa fans would shell out duckets to see.

Regardless of all that anyway, I don't believe schiano makes it in Tampa if Mark d and freeman get the axe. So he may only have this season in reality. If so, a new coach is going to want their new toy, at it would likely be a QB if the only thing in the cupboard is glennon. I don't think you should worry about "default glennon" but as you reminded me, they historically have a knack for passing on the elite QB's.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#23 : August 29, 2013, 10:16:22 AM

Schiano signed a 5-year contract. He's not going anywhere after this season unless the team quits on him worse than they quit on Morris in 2011.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 29, 2013, 10:18:03 AM

I say if he has the same record as last year, he'll be gone.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 29, 2013, 10:21:01 AM

I'm NOT a fan of bridgewater, he seems like a mentally slower freeman to me. And I'm not so sure it would excite a seemingly (and oddly somewhat racist group) faithless crowd. I that aspect, I believe Manziel would be a great change of pace and would fit the mold as a QB that Tampa fans would shell out duckets to see.
I personally would really, really prefer to not see the team attempt to cater to the racist aspects of the team's fanbase.  I mean, if they had the opportunity to draft both but genuinely preferred Manziel as a football player - groovy.  But that should be the only reason to prefer one over the other.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#26 : August 29, 2013, 10:43:30 AM

I say if he has the same record as last year, he'll be gone.

Not a chance. Not his QB.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#27 : August 29, 2013, 10:44:11 AM

Agree with most of the posts here. NDY makes some points I really agree with. Most importantly, Glennon is nothing like Freeman. Not sure why anyone thinks that

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#28 : August 29, 2013, 11:32:57 AM

I think glennon is a good QB, but..

1) he's a lot like freeman. So what's the point if freeman fails?
2) he's nothing out of the ordinary. We would be very lucky to come anywhere close to Freeman's talent in the third round.
3) we've seen enough "let's build a QB" crap for a lifetime. Seriously.
4) better QBs in draft and possibly FA.

Too many if's and not enough promise for the fanbase. If glennon gets the nod after freeman is gone instead of drafting a qB in the high rounds, people are going to be ticked. He would have to put on one hell of a performance before the season closed for there to be enough support to allow such a thing without more negative backlash from the fans.

Freeman was drafted high and thought to be a talented prospect because of his last year alone. He had 34 total TDs and 8 interceptions, with 400+ yards rushing and 14 of those 34 TD were rushing TDs. He didnt throw over 3000 yards and his completion percentage was under 60%. His first two years were nothing special at all. So basically the rushing aspect and dual threat capability he displayed in only one year is what made him a first round prospect that year. We now know he is not a running or dual threat QB. If you take that aspect out of his junior season what round do you think he'd be projected to go? He wouldn't be close to first round worthy. If you take that aspect away from him then he doesn't beat out Glennon as a more talented QB prospect.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-freeman-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mike-glennon-1.html

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#29 : August 29, 2013, 11:37:33 AM

Johnson had 22 TDs and 6 Ints that year.

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Glennon's education continues « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools