Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Glennon's education continues « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: August 29, 2013, 02:39:25 AM

Glennon's education with Bucs to continue

Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer 

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:16pm

TAMPA

During the five weeks Bucs players had off before training camp, rookie quarterback Mike Glennon looked at his smart phone and found another test of his football intelligence. Every 30 minutes or so, a text arrived from Bucs backup quarterback Dan Orlovsky, quizzing him on some aspect of playing the position: a formation, protection, defense or route combination.

"It was just stuff and questions about the offense, and he would be able to fire it back to me," said Orlovsky, who is entering his ninth season in the league and second with the Bucs. "He's been impressive in that role. He's embraced it."

Glennon, a third-round pick from N.C. State, was installed as the No. 2 quarterback behind Josh Freeman prior to training camp and has received the majority of playing time during preseason games.

He will make his first start tonight against the Redskins in the preseason finale for both teams.

Fast-tracking Glennon was the idea of coach Greg Schiano, who said he won't hesitate to go with a first-year player should Freeman falter or become injured.

"I do think that Mike will be ready," Orlovsky said. "He's been impressive with the way he's handled himself, with the way he's handled the offense. He's not scared to rip it, which is a good quality. He can. The ball comes off his hand really nice.

"I think the biggest thing for Mike is he's proven to his teammates he's got something there to him. That will be something he has to continue every week to prove to his teammates that, 'if something does happen, I'm okay, guys.' I think he's started that journey."

Glennon, 23, has not looked overwhelmed during the preseason, but his production has been nothing to get excited about. He leads the Bucs with 334 yards passing and has three touchdowns and two interceptions. His passer rating is 71.1, his completion percentage 48.1 (26-of-54).

"Seeing all these reps is a huge help for me because as a rookie, there are a lot of guys who haven't been able to get as many reps as I've gotten," Glennon said. "Those reps are so important for me and my development."

Meanwhile, Orlovsky has accepted his role as mentor and agreed to the No. 3 quarterback role when he restructured his contract.

"I tell my wife competitively, it (stinks) every day," Orlovsky said.

Glennon has been exposed to critical situations in each preseason game. Last week at Miami, after a turnover, he led the Bucs on a winning 25-yard drive capped by his touchdown pass to David Douglas.

"I guess I will have done it all after this game," Glennon said. "I've come in and played the second and third quarters. I got to play the fourth quarter last game and finish the game out, and now I'll get to start. So I think they set me up to see all different sorts of situations."

Rick Stroud can be reached at stroud@tampabay.com.

creamsicles

Starter
#1 : August 29, 2013, 02:47:45 AM

looks like they're paying orlovsky to be another qb coach... not a bad investment if it's productive.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 29, 2013, 03:34:57 AM

I think glennon is a good QB, but..

1) he's a lot like freeman. So what's the point if freeman fails?
2) he's nothing out of the ordinary. We would be very lucky to come anywhere close to Freeman's talent in the third round.
3) we've seen enough "let's build a QB" crap for a lifetime. Seriously.
4) better QBs in draft and possibly FA.

Too many if's and not enough promise for the fanbase. If glennon gets the nod after freeman is gone instead of drafting a qB in the high rounds, people are going to be ticked. He would have to put on one hell of a performance before the season closed for there to be enough support to allow such a thing without more negative backlash from the fans.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

gone

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 29, 2013, 03:55:18 AM

2) he's nothing out of the ordinary. We would be very lucky to come anywhere close to Freeman's talent in the third round.

Too many if's and not enough promise for the fanbase. If glennon gets the nod after freeman is gone instead of drafting a qB in the high rounds, people are going to be ticked. He would have to put on one hell of a performance before the season closed for there to be enough support to allow such a thing without more negative backlash from the fans.

That was some really funny stuff there.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 29, 2013, 04:05:54 AM

That was some really funny stuff there.

What is funny about it? Dead serious.

Do you think the glazers would keep mark/freeman/schiano after a bad season, after investing heavy in the team?

And also, if the casual buc fan doesn't know their starting QB from a hole in the ground, for what reason do they buy season tickets? We blame that card on freeman too apparently.

Honestly, glennon, if he gets a shot at any point this season had better capitalize, because there is a good chance he might have been drafted to a future sh1tstorm of a team and find himself without any friends/believers in his second year.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Redwave

Second String

#5 : August 29, 2013, 07:26:07 AM

Being a lot like Freeman before seeing the field for even one down in an NFL regular season game says a lot about both players, does it not ?  I don't mean to infer that Glennon's ready for instant success, or guaranteed success at all.  I just think that statement is really unwarranted at this stage.  We won't know his mental makeup until he gets an extended opportunity with the 1st team in games that count, and hopefully that is not necessary this year. 

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 29, 2013, 07:50:10 AM

I don't think he's that much like Freeman.

He's much quicker on the trigger and decisive with the ball , even as a rookie . He's got more of that gunslinger mentality . He also does a better job of sliding in the pocket to avoid rushers while keeping his eyes downfield...Freeman used to have that quality also but he completely lost it.

I also think he's much more accurate than Freeman . That stats don't necessarily reflect it yet , but you can see it with his ball placement.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 29, 2013, 08:20:11 AM

I don't think he's that much like Freeman.

He's much quicker on the trigger and decisive with the ball , even as a rookie . He's got more of that gunslinger mentality . He also does a better job of sliding in the pocket to avoid rushers while keeping his eyes downfield...Freeman used to have that quality also but he completely lost it.

I also think he's much more accurate than Freeman . That stats don't necessarily reflect it yet , but you can see it with his ball placement.

Exactly what I was thinking. He throws the ball deep a lot. That's about where the similarities end really.

The offense looks different when he is QBing. I do think that we'll franchise Freeman at the end of the year, and if Glennon can beat him out for the spot next year, we'll trade Freeman and move on with Glennon. People look at his 3rd round status and assume he has no talent. The guy has a ton of talent.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 29, 2013, 08:24:17 AM

Bingo. BALL PLACEMENT, timing and anticipation as a rookie are noticeably better than Freeman NOW. The only area I can say Freeman is better at is his ability to escape the pocket and throw on the run. And yes, for whatever reason, that ability or instinct seems to have regressed. I think he's trying to hang in the pocket longer, but he lacks the quickness of Glennon to accurately throw the ball the instant the pocket does collapse. Freeman is a far better passer on the run, which is the exact OPPOSITE of Glennon.
    Glennon, once he's earned his NFL stripes, has the look of a potentially fully-functional NFL QB to me...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#9 : August 29, 2013, 08:36:13 AM

If glennon gets the nod after freeman is gone instead of drafting a qB in the high rounds, people are going to be ticked.

This is my biggest fear. If there are guys like Bridgewater, Mariota, Hogan, McCarron, Fales, Manziel, and others sitting there for the taking.....and we just role will Glennon.....man. I don't even want to think about it. It would be like rolling with Chris Simms and passing on Aaron Rodgers all over again.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 29, 2013, 08:41:48 AM

1. He's a lot like Freeman.
2. He'd be lucky to be like Freeman.

Classic stuff.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 29, 2013, 08:43:38 AM

JDOUBLE , what if an awesome pass rusher is sitting there ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : August 29, 2013, 08:45:52 AM

I doubt we'll be bad enough to have a choice between Bridgewater and Clowney.....but that would be a great problem to have. In the end though, if you don't have a QB you have to take the QB. That is the most important position in football.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 29, 2013, 09:36:49 AM

I doubt we'll be bad enough to have a choice between Bridgewater and Clowney.....but that would be a great problem to have. In the end though, if you don't have a QB you have to take the QB. That is the most important position in football.

QB is most important, by far. But NC state would have been complete garbage without Glennon. Glennon won games with very very poor receivers. That number 88 wouldn't have made my highschool football team. Dude was dropping passes every other attempt.

I think we'll be picking in the 15-20 range again this year. Any thoughts on QBs being there? This could be a year, in my eyes, we see 4-5 QBs off the board in the top 10-12

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#14 : August 29, 2013, 09:44:15 AM

Besides the really big names like Bridgewater, Manziel, and Mariota.....I like Derek Carr, A.J. McCarron, Brett Hundley, Jeff Matthews, and David Fales. Not a big fan of Boyd, Murray, Morris, or Thomas. Definitely shaping up to be a big QB draft though. Have to wait and see how this shakes out.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Glennon's education continues « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools