Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brian Leonard on Doug Martin......"one of the best I've been around" « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: September 03, 2013, 02:44:24 AM

Leonard ready to back up Martin - "one of the best I've been around"

Joe Smith, Times Staff Writer 

Monday, September 2, 2013 12:28pm

It appears Brian Leonard will be the backup running back to Pro Bowler Doug Martin.

But Leonard, the seventh-year pro, knows that carries will likely be few and far between considering Martin is a do-everything kind of back.

"I've been around some good backs in my time, and he's definitely - by far - one of the best, probably top-two," says Leonard, who has played with Steven Jackson, Cedric Benson and Ray Rice. "He does everything. He can catch the ball, he can pick up protections, he's got great vision, good feet, quickness, good burst. He's really an all around back. He really has it all. Not many backs in this league have it all where they can pick up protections, he has all of it."

Martin had 319 carries for 1,454 yards as a rookie, to go along with 49 catches. Leonard, however, says he'll be ready when called upon.

"He's a good back, he does it all," Leonard said. "Whenever he gets tired, hopefully I can be the guy that goes in, and hopefully there's not a let-off. I think I can do it all too, maybe not the level of Doug, but I have all the tangibles, catching the ball, running the ball, and picking up protections, stuff like that."

Leonard says most of his time will be spent on special teams, something he's gained more experience in - and an appreciation for - the last few years.

"I've really embraced it," Leonard said. "Playing offense my whole life, I never played special teams in college, didn't play it the first couple years in the pros. In Cincinnati, I played all the special teams for all four years. At first it was like, 'Man, it's tougher than I thought.' But now, I just kind of embraced it. It's good. Hopefully it'll keep me in the league for a while."

GatorBuc85

Pro Bowler

#1 : September 03, 2013, 05:13:58 PM

Of course he's "one of" the best he's been around...

-Chase

Our fans suck!

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 03, 2013, 06:39:20 PM

But Leonard, the seventh-year pro, knows that carries will likely be few and far between considering Martin is a do-everything kind of back.

What? Writers dont know jack. Doesn't this guy realize our back ups are going to take away a lot of carries away from Martin.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 03, 2013, 08:49:35 PM

I like Leonard as the #2 RB.  I like his style, no BS-ing around, grab the handoff, and its full speed ahead.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 04, 2013, 12:21:56 AM

Seems like a really smart guy. It's good to have him here in Tampa.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brian Leonard on Doug Martin......"one of the best I've been around" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools