Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Geno Smith to start, Santonio Holmes appears to be ready « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: September 03, 2013, 02:50:02 AM

Buccaneers vs. Jets: Geno Smith to start, Santonio Holmes appears to be ready

By Sander Philipse@Sanderrp on Sep 2 2013, 7:23pm

Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

Santonio Holmes and Darrelle Revis are ready to face off, with Geno Smith at quarterback for the New York Jets. Carl Nicks is unlikely to make it, however.

As has been apparent for quiet some time now, ever since Mark Sanchez injured his shoulder in the fourth quarter of a meaningless preseason game, rookie quarterback Geno Smith is likely to get the start against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday. Smith completed 22 of 37 passes in the preseason for 246 yards, one touchdown, three interception and a Dan Orlovsky. He was sacked just once.

Preseason stats aren't everything, of course, and Smith's performance against the Giants was better than the three-interception, one safety performance would indicate. While the quarterback wasn't stellar, he demonstrated the ability to make accurate throws and run an offense with some semblance of competence. Whether he can do so in a real, regular season game remains to be seen, however.

Fortunately for him and unfortunately for the Bucs, it appears that their top wide receiver Santonio Holmes will be ready for the season opener, according to the New York Daily News. The Jets don't have much in the way of receiving targets outside of Holmes, with Jeremy Kerley and Kellen Winslow being the main targets. Meanwhile, all indications point towards Darrelle Revis being ready -- so seeing him take on Santonio Holmes should be interesting, to say the least.

The Buccaneers have refused to rule out the return of MRSA-stricken guard Carl Nicks, but the prevailing consensus around the league appears to be that it's not going to happen. That means Gabe Carimi is likely to man the left guard spot - one day after Yom Kippur.

The question now will be whether the Buccaneers can elevate their play from the abysmal performance we saw during the preseason. I have a hard time seeing the Buccaneers lose this game -- but I had a very hard time imagining the Bucs losing to the Jaguars in 2011 or the Eagles in 2012, and yet that's exactly what happened. On Sunday, the Bucs will have to show their true face -- and if it isn't up to snuff, this could be a very long season.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/9/2/4687914/buccaneers-vs-jets-geno-smith-to-start-santonio-holmes-appears-to-be/in/4452001

snesfreak

Second String

#1 : September 03, 2013, 02:55:45 AM

Smith completed 22 of 37 passes in the preseason for 246 yards, one touchdown, three interception and a Dan Orlovsky.
Still better than a Butt Fumble.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 03, 2013, 03:20:18 AM

As long as we dont turn the ball over (Freeman has his head on straight) and special teams doesn't implode, we should win easily.

One thing to keep in mind also is that Schiano coached against Geno Smith in college. So he's not going in against him blind.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 03, 2013, 03:32:47 AM

Seriously, we're calling it a "Orlovsky" now?

Well...I guess the term works since there isn't a literal term for the self-inflicted safety.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 03, 2013, 03:54:54 AM

Santonio is a decent wideout.  I would guess Revis will be on him every time.  But he still needs someone to get him the ball. Is Geno that guy?  We shall see soon enough.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#5 : September 03, 2013, 04:07:19 AM

Holmes has been garbage recently. We should be more worried about Kerley.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 03, 2013, 05:27:18 AM

Santonio is a decent wideout.  I would guess Revis will be on him every time.  But he still needs someone to get him the ball. Is Geno that guy?  We shall see soon enough.

The bucs need to capitalize on the turnovers smith will be apt to make his first game out. DB's heads need to be on a swivel.

And I like the Holmes vs revis match up.

It's two guys trying to get back to form, so it's not exactly like he's facing megatron his first game out either. It's not only a "soft" barometer of revis's comeback, but a "soft" opponent revis can "warm up" with. If he can blanket Holmes, we know he's back to form, or at least most of it.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 03, 2013, 08:47:52 AM

Carimi is going to play LG instead of sliding Zuttah back over ?? Interesting....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Jetsknicks1p

Practice Squad

#8 : September 03, 2013, 08:54:26 AM

If Holmes plays I don't see him doing much, especially if Revis is on him. I agree with someone here who said we should send whoever Revis is on deep every play. Genos gonna be nervous enough as it is, we need to get Revis out of his way.

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#9 : September 03, 2013, 09:43:06 AM

Didn't the Jets sign Braylon Edwards? Or was that Pitt? If it was the Jets, Banks is going to get picked on a lot. And I hope KW2 receives a Purple Heart (from Foster/David) and he gets discharged. ;)

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 03, 2013, 09:44:02 AM

Didn't the Jets sign Braylon Edwards? Or was that Pitt? If it was the Jets, Banks is going to get picked on a lot. And I hope KW2 receives a Purple Heart (from Foster/David) and he gets discharged. ;)

Jets signed Edwards but then they cut him.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 03, 2013, 09:05:43 PM

A lot of the talk radio guys think Geno will be a train wreck, and it couild get very ugly out there for him.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 04, 2013, 12:02:45 AM

A lot of the talk radio guys think Geno will be a train wreck, and it couild get very ugly out there for him.

It might not even be his fault if he does fail. The whole org is screwed up.

WC-Bucs fan

Starter

#13 : September 04, 2013, 12:40:14 AM

Honestly, we couldn't ask for an easier game to start off with, if we can't beat the Jets with Geno Smith getting his first start, it's going to be a very long season.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#14 : September 04, 2013, 12:55:17 AM

Honestly, we couldn't ask for an easier game to start off with, if we can't beat the Jets with Geno Smith getting his first start, it's going to be a very long season.

Road games are always tough though.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Geno Smith to start, Santonio Holmes appears to be ready « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools